-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Any manage to install Waterfox?

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Any manage to install Waterfox?

#31 Post by Mauser » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm

PhilH wrote:@Mauser
If you have successfully installed it using the MX installer, it should appear in the Internet tab of the listing of all your programs (click on the MX symbol at the left/bottom of your screen, then point your cursor at the Internet tab). If you installed it by downloading the .tar.gz file from the Waterfox website then you 'll have to go to the directory where you downloaded it, extract all the files, then go to the directory where you extracted the files and scroll to the bottom of the file listing - assuming you have the file names in ascending order, or is that descending(?) - then just click/double-click on the waterfox executable. Waterfox won't appear in the listing of all your installed programs, if you do the extracting thing, since you didn't really install it, and the program database doesn't know anything about it.

Hope this helps,
PhilH (in NC till all that snow goes away to stay!)
Thanks. I tried all that and it didn't install.

PhilH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#32 Post by PhilH » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Hmmm....
Just did a "psuedo-install"" on this netbook. Am using Waterfox to write this reply. Not sure what to tell you.
Did you go to "https://www.waterfoxproject.org/downloads"?
Download the "Waterfox 56.0.1 Compressed Archive", under the Linux column, to someplace you can easily find (for example /home/"user_name"/Downloads/Waterfox (I created a new folder/directory to put it in)).
Click on the waterfox-.......tar.bz2 file you downloaded.
You should get a "Archive Manager" window that shows a waterfox directory in it (may take some time to read the ..tar.bz2 file).
Select (click on) the waterfox folder/directory.
Select (click on) the Extract button at the top-left of the window.
In the "Extract" window that comes up, select (click on) the "Extract"button in the lower-right corner.
After it finishes you should have a "waterfox" directory in the location where you downloaded the ..tar.gz2 file.
Go into that "waterfox" folder/directory and scroll to the bottom.
Second from the bottom should be a file named "waterfox".
Clicking (double-clicking?) on this file (which is executable) should start Waterfox running.
If this is the first time, you'll get a window that asks what you want to import from your other browser.
Once you import (or not) from your other browser, you should get the Waterfox browser window on your desktop.

Please note: This is not a REAL INSTALL. The "install" done this way doesn't get updated in the database of software on your machine that the package managers (databases) know about. All I know is that it works. May the "powers that be" forgive my blasphemy in spreading this info.
P.S. @Mauser Did you get any errors anywhere along the way, or just "It didn't work" at the end?
Hope this helps,
PhilH (in chilly NC)
Distro: MX-17_x64 Horizon December 15, 2017,
Laptop:HP2016 Kernel: 4.13.0-1-amd64 x86_64
Desktop: Asus2014 Kernel: 4.13.0-1-amd64 x86_64, AMD A10-6700
Play/Netbook: MX-Workbench Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#33 Post by Mauser » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:39 pm

I got it to install and it opened. I closed the browser and looked in the Whisker menu and it's not there. I did a reboot and the same thing. Waterfox went missing. Where did it go?

PhilH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#34 Post by PhilH » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 pm

@Mauser
It didn't "go" anywhere. Since this is not a "REAL INSTALL", the whisker menu doesn't know about it. Like the update databases don't know about it. However, if you do the following, you will have an icon on your desktop to run it (if you don't mind running it that way).

Go to the executable once again (in .../Downloads/Waterfox/waterfox, for example, I have no idea where you extracted it).
Right click on the executable. Scroll up to "Send To". Then right to "Desktop (Create Link)". That should give you an icon on your desktop that you can click on to run it.

Good Luck,
PhilH

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#35 Post by Mauser » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 pm

Forget about it. No software should involve such a ridiculous procedure to install. Thanks for trying to help.

PhilH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#36 Post by PhilH » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:07 am

@Mauser
You're welcome.
My only reason for going through this is that I wanted to keep using some Firefox extensions, and since I couldn't figure out all the "-ESR" things for Firefox (or at least that's what I think it would take). By doing a download and extract and right-click I got a browser running that still supports the extensions I like/use. You"re right, it would be way easier to just do it all with one click somewhere. But till someone with more on the ball gets around to "packaging' it all in a tidy little package, I'll just "play" around and maybe learn a bit more about how programs get loaded and running.

Just sayin',
PhilH

v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#37 Post by v3g4n » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 am

You could create an entry in whiskermenu using mx menu editor.

PhilH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#38 Post by PhilH » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Many thanks @v3g4n!!
Maybe if I RTFM a bit more I'll be able to figure out things like that.
I don't know if this would help @Mauser, as he (she?) wasn't wanting to do what I did to get it to "install" and run.

Guess that's why you're a "Guide" :number1: and I'm not :turtle: .

I got it to appear in the "Accessories" Category, as "Internet" Category wasn't available as a choice of what Category to put it in. Don't know if that's a feature to keep the "turtles" from messing up that Category, or not.

Keep warm (if you're in the eastern US like me),
PhilH (in chilly NC)

Return to “Software / Configuration”