Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

Linux Equivalent to "Everything"

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Linux Equivalent to "Everything"

#21 Postby nathan2423 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:30 am

Thank you for those suggestions Skidoo. I will definitely take a closer look at Eaglemode.

As for the others, I never was able to get Dolphin in the past to preview microsoft office formats, but at any case I have gone back to being an MX - XFCE fundamentalist and am trying to avoid all the KDE overhead. With Nautilus-sushi, I still see that the preview requires opening a new window, so if i have to open a new window I think I can just use the application, What I was looking for really is a list of files (on the left) with a docked preview pane on the right that scrolls along with selecting in the list of files on the left.

Here's another of my intended uses: If angrysearch or fsearch allows a find by date (which fsearch does but not angrysearch?) then the gui list of files found and sorted by date would serve as a permanent home for a live list of recently-used documents of all types that would be easy to open and flip between at will. Again, I know that various file search utilities can scan across as disk looking for files and list them by date (catfish can certainly do that) but the ability to have such a list "instantly" in the fsearch format seems to me to be a real time-saver.

And saving time and improving my workflow is my real goal, of course.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Linux Equivalent to "Everything"

#22 Postby nathan2423 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 pm

For anyone following along these comments in the future I should note that I just went back and installed the granddaddy - Everything for windows - using Crossover (wine) and so far I am amazed at how well it works. It's able to access all the folders on all the drives that I need, and it has many more options than Fsearch or Angrysearch at this point in their development. I will report back if I have any problems with it but so far virtually all functions work as expected.

Return to “Software / Configuration”