Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

MX-16 issue: font-manager crashes on startup

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-16 issue: font-manager crashes on startup

#11 Postby skidoo » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

might think I'm stubborn but this doesn't get me any closer to the solution.
"bsddb.db" is not a filename.
I don't know what is the name of the database file (or the directory it's pathed under).
I don't know whether the database file was "installed" (and would be listed to "installed files" pane in Synaptic)
or was created on-the-fly during first run of the program.

Yeah, celery or whatever is mentioned in the the stackOverflow topic isn't "font-manager",
but the suggested solution is applicable, in general:
check the permissions of the database file (and its parent directory) to ensure your user has write permission.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:55 pm

@skidoo:

skidoo wrote:I don't know what is the name of the database file (or the directory it's pathed under). I don't know whether the database file was "installed" (and would be listed to "installed files" pane in Synaptic) or was created on-the-fly during first run of the program.

It certainly wasn't installed - I can't find any *.db file related to font-manager in the "installed files" pane in Synaptic.

However, under /usr/share/font-manager/core, I can find files called "database.py" and "fonts.py", but these doen't seem to be databases.

I saw here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/763075/ ... untu-16-04 that the Ubuntu guys have had what looks like exactly the same problem with the old version that MX-16 is shipping, too, so I will file a separate package request.

Greetings, Joe

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Postby tascoast » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:48 pm

I installed Font Manager a couple of months back. It still starts and works for me as usual on lenoveo MX-16 64-bit.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Postby MX-16_fan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:02 pm

UPDATE:

When packaging a newer version of font-manager, Stevo found out that removing the font-manager folders in /.cache and /.config in his home folder got it to start (cf. viewtopic.php?p=415379#p415379), and he guessed that this might also help in order to get the old version running that is in question here. I'll try that out as soon as possible.

Greetings, Joe

Return to “Software / Configuration”