Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#1 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 pm

@all:

I just tried to use the "signature editing" function in Claws Mail's account preferences.

As you can see, there's a button for that function. However, when I clicked it, nothing happened.

I suppose that normally Claws Mail calls an external editor for that function that is installed in other distributions but not in MX-16.

If so, maybe that editor should be bundled with Claws Mail, or maybe some Claws Mail config file should be adjusted in order to call Leafpad.

Unfortunately I don't know in which log one can see what clicking the button points to. I can look it up if you tell me where I can find this information.

Greetings, Joe

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#2 Postby skidoo » Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm

While Claws Mail is not running, view your clawsrc file to check/change what editor app is called.
(might be exposed via the gui Preferences but I don't recall where)

Hey, the topic title is unfair ~~ same issue would likely be present when running Claws Mail under Fedora, or Ubuntu

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#3 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm

@skidoo:

skidoo wrote:While Claws Mail is not running, view your clawsrc file to check/change what editor app is called.

Just checked this out, but I didn't really find anything relating to the signature (except something concerning signature color). I guess it isn't "mime_textviewer=" either. Must be somewhere else.

skidoo wrote:Hey, the topic title is unfair ~~ same issue would likely be present when running Claws Mail under Fedora, or Ubuntu

I noticed that to make clear that I tested it in MX-16 and not in MX-15 ;) .

skidoo wrote:(might be exposed via the gui Preferences but I don't recall where)

I went through all but I didn't find anything that seemed to relate to this issue. Maybe you can find it at second glance?

Greetings, and thanks, Joe

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby skidoo » Thu May 11, 2017 4:06 pm

top google search result for query "claws mail external editor" is http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Interface

Can I use a different editor to write my mails?

Yes you can. In '/Configuration/Preferences/Compose/Writing' select the option 'Automatically launch the external editor'.
The editor of your choice can be set in /Configuration/Preferences/Message View/External Programs'
Remember, if you want to use a command line editor like vi or emacs, to write the name of the shell (%term%, %term%, %rxvt%)
with the -e parameter in front of the editor. E.g.: rxvt -e vi %s

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri May 12, 2017 7:07 am

@skidoo:

skidoo wrote:top google search result for query "claws mail external editor" is http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Interface

Yes you can. In '/Configuration/Preferences/Compose/Writing' select the option 'Automatically launch the external editor'.
The editor of your choice can be set in /Configuration/Preferences/Message View/External Programs'
Remember, if you want to use a command line editor like vi or emacs, to write the name of the shell (%term%, %term%, %rxvt%)

Seen that before. However, this doesn't help here. Those hints relate to writing mails, not to editing the standard signature. Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby MX-16_fan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:51 pm

@skidoo:

MX-16_fan wrote:@skidoo:

skidoo wrote:top google search result for query "claws mail external editor" is http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Interface

Seen that before. However, this doesn't help here. Those hints relate to writing mails, not to editing the standard signature. Greetings, Joe

Sorry, partly error on my side here. I just tried out the 3.15.0 version Stevo provided for "MX Testing", and all of a sudden, it worked, calling gedit. (I guess I installed gedit on some occasion in the meantime).

And, yes, the second part of the FAQ you quoted indeed relates to my problem. Seems that in Claws Mail you can define only one external editor for both writing e-mail and for editing the signature, meaning that the signature-editor will always be the one you define for writing mails (not all too logical IMHO).

The FAQ question is somewhat misleading if someone checks the especially because the "edit signature" function doesn't work. In case you are still active with Claws' wiki, my proposal would be to add a question and an answer to it, something like

QUESTION: I cannot edit my signature from within Claws Mail because no editor opens to do it. What can I do?

ANSWER: The editor which will be called when you want to edit your signature is exactly the editor which is predefined for the case that you want to write your e-mails with an external editor. So, go to /Configuration/Preferences/Message View/External Programs. If the editor noted there is not installed on your system, install it. Alternatively, define an editor of your choice there.

Btw. I wonder where the gedit entry came from in the first place. I had the "use system defaults, if possible" checked in Claws. However, in exo-preferred-applications I can see no predefinition of any editor at all. Weird. I'll note this in my test report to 3.15.0.

Greetings, and thx, Joe

Return to “Software / Configuration”