Welcome!

NewsCurrent releases
  • MX-16 release info here
  • antiX-16 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

Message
Author
User avatar
MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#1 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 pm

@all:

I just tried to use the "signature editing" function in Claws Mail's account preferences.

As you can see, there's a button for that function. However, when I clicked it, nothing happened.

I suppose that normally Claws Mail calls an external editor for that function that is installed in other distributions but not in MX-16.

If so, maybe that editor should be bundled with Claws Mail, or maybe some Claws Mail config file should be adjusted in order to call Leafpad.

Unfortunately I don't know in which log one can see what clicking the button points to. I can look it up if you tell me where I can find this information.


Greetings, Joe

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#2 Postby skidoo » Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm

While Claws Mail is not running, view your clawsrc file to check/change what editor app is called.
(might be exposed via the gui Preferences but I don't recall where)

Hey, the topic title is unfair ~~ same issue would likely be present when running Claws Mail under Fedora, or Ubuntu

Image

User avatar
MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#3 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm

@skidoo:

skidoo wrote:While Claws Mail is not running, view your clawsrc file to check/change what editor app is called.


Just checked this out, but I didn't really find anything relating to the signature (except something concerning signature color). I guess it isn't "mime_textviewer=" either. Must be somewhere else.

skidoo wrote:Hey, the topic title is unfair ~~ same issue would likely be present when running Claws Mail under Fedora, or Ubuntu


I noticed that to make clear that I tested it in MX-16 and not in MX-15 ;) .

skidoo wrote:(might be exposed via the gui Preferences but I don't recall where)


I went through all but I didn't find anything that seemed to relate to this issue. Maybe you can find it at second glance?


Greetings, and thanks, Joe

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#4 Postby skidoo » Thu May 11, 2017 4:06 pm

top google search result for query "claws mail external editor" is http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Interface

Can I use a different editor to write my mails?

Yes you can. In '/Configuration/Preferences/Compose/Writing' select the option 'Automatically launch the external editor'.
The editor of your choice can be set in /Configuration/Preferences/Message View/External Programs'
Remember, if you want to use a command line editor like vi or emacs, to write the name of the shell (%term%, %term%, %rxvt%)
with the -e parameter in front of the editor. E.g.: rxvt -e vi %s

User avatar
MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Issue in MX-16: Claws Mail "edit signature" function (probably calling an external editor) does not work

#5 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri May 12, 2017 7:07 am

@skidoo:

skidoo wrote:top google search result for query "claws mail external editor" is http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Interface

Can I use a different editor to write my mails?

Yes you can. In '/Configuration/Preferences/Compose/Writing' select the option 'Automatically launch the external editor'.
The editor of your choice can be set in /Configuration/Preferences/Message View/External Programs'
Remember, if you want to use a command line editor like vi or emacs, to write the name of the shell (%term%, %term%, %rxvt%)
with the -e parameter in front of the editor. E.g.: rxvt -e vi %s


Seen that before. However, this doesn't help here. Those hints relate to writing mails, not to editing the standard signature. Greetings, Joe


Return to “Software / Configuration”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests