-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Send SMS (or a text) from MX-15 desktop

namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Send SMS (or a text) from MX-15 desktop

#11 Post by namida12 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:38 pm

uncle mark wrote:
zarg2 wrote:If I'm sending from my desktop I just use my email program and address the recipient as their phone number then the gateway for their phone carrier: put the phone number in front of the @ and discard the carrier identity that is there now.
Beat me to it. I don't do text (phones are for talking, and get off my lawn), but do sometimes use those email addresses to contact people who are into text more than email.
zarg2 & uncle mark,

There are many cellular companies. How do you know what phone carrier the person uses? Send a text and ask?

On the other hand, pushbullet might be simple, with the door to door encryption feature.

Many different suggestions, thanks

JR
MX-16 64-bit
AMD X4 630......2.8 GHz....4146 MB DDR2.....800 Memory
MX-15 64-bit
AMD A4-7300.....3.8 GHz...8192 MB DDR3...1600 Memory
Mepis 11 64-bit
AMD X4 620......2.6 GHz....4146 MB DDR2.....800 Memory

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by uncle mark » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 pm

namida12 wrote:There are many cellular companies. How do you know what phone carrier the person uses? Send a text and ask?
Uhm... call them?
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by m_pav » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:03 am

Airdriod for me and note to D.O., airdroid does not require a rooted phone. Been using it for years and I prefer it because it does a whole lot more than just texting. Never once used their web based service to connect through, always used a regular wireless Lan.

However, there's an easier way, much easier cause you already know how to do it. Now that Googles voice to text has improved so much, with the proviso that you have an active internet connection, it's almost entirely possible for you to do most of your messaging by dictating to your phone in natural speech.

Open your messaging app, start as you would to begin typing, but instead of typing, have a hunt around your tiny keyboard for a microphone icon. If you don't see one straight away, it may be hidden under a gear or a T key with some extra tiny things on the same key. You could also just install and switch to the Google keyboard and do away with the clumsy keyboard jammed in there by the phone manufacturer cause the google keyboard has a permanent microphone icon at the top.

Anyway, once you find it, tap it, wait a second or 2 and start talking, but don't robotise your voice, speak normally, but clearly and annunciate your words. Provided there's not too much background noise, your words will be converted to text with amazing accuracy. However, with such a great tool, there's always a caveat, it doesn't know how to abbreviate or accent what has been translated, but that's dependent on android version, learnt patterns and other variables.

When finished speaking, press the stop button or an x in the listening window and edit or send your text.

Here's a vid on how to do it
https://youtu.be/kJ885WYj3uM
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:00 am

Good tip. Voice recognition has improved, and I occasionally use it. A friend of mine uses it exclusively when sending email. Half the time I need to ask him what the message is, since it is confusing or undecipherable. He does not take the time to review and make corrections. If using voice recognition I believe a review is essential.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by dolphin_oracle » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:17 am

a bluetooth keyboard for your phone would be another solution.
m_pav wrote:Airdriod for me and note to D.O., airdroid does not require a rooted phone. Been using it for years and I prefer it because it does a whole lot more than just texting. Never once used their web based service to connect through, always used a regular wireless Lan.
hmmm.... I know I tried this on my galaxy. maybe its was just the mirror feature that required the rooted phone. sorry for any mis-info on that point.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by namida12 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:44 pm

PushBullet, is not in the Antix repositories. Or do in need to download directly?

JR

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by timkb4cq » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:53 pm

It's a browser extension for Firefox, Opera or Chrome. The Firefox extension can be installed from the Firefox Add-ons menu.
For Chrome or Opera you add the extension from pushbullet.com
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Return to “Software / Configuration”