idle3

Colin

idle3

#1 Post by Colin »

I'm trying to learn Python3 and i was advised to install (via synaptic package manager) 'idle3'.
But when i opened synaptic and tried to install 'idle3' the following error appeared.

W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file '/root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_sh' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)

Would i have to be 'root' in order to install this software?

Thanks all

BitJam
Developer

Re: idle3

#2 Post by BitJam »

Colin wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:33 pmWould i have to be 'root' in order to install this software?
Yes.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Buck Fankers

#3 Post by Buck Fankers »

Colin wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:33 pm I'm trying to learn Python3 and i was advised to install (via synaptic package manager) 'idle3'.
Partially OT

There are two free IDE programs that are soooooooo much better than idle3. But idle3 will do.
One is Pycharm Community edition another one is VSCode. They both have code completion and syntax highlighting and bunch of useful stuff. VS Code is sadly from microsoft and you need to go to settings and disable 2-4 things so they are not collecting telemetry/usage data. It is also build on Electron which some don't like.

But if this is OK with you, it is free, full of goodies, looks nice, and it is in MX Package Installer in standard repo, just type: "code" to find it and install it.

If you will decide to use it, let me know, I have somewhere saved a note, what to disable in the settings. I think, Code may be the simplest of all to use. Sublime and Atom need to be pre-configured first. But like I said, idle3 will do also, just, it is very limited.

P.s.
I'm trying to learn Python also ;-) which is hard when you get old, brain is resisting, heck, whole body is resisting lol lol lol

Free (and good) books:

(btw, look at the bottom of the page, there are 5 more free books from the same author)
https://automatetheboringstuff.com

Code corrections for upper book:
https://www.reddit.com/r/inventwithpyth ... rrections/

http://programarcadegames.com/index.php?lang=sl

This third one is also for beginners but actually goes further, somewhere into intermediate material. You need to register at leanpub to get book for free.

https://leanpub.com/python_101

My current learning project, related to MX Linux

- scraping from Distrowatch for top 10 distros number of reviews submitted
- saving data to CSV file on computer
- saving data to json file
- saving data to SQLite3 database (didn't need to store data 3 different way's, just trying to learn & practicing.)
- using Pandas library and plotting graph (chart) to see which disto is getting most new reviews over time. (so far in last 4-5 days MX is leading ;-) )

srq2625

#4 Post by srq2625 »

Buck Fankers wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:09 pm If you will decide to use it, let me know, I have somewhere saved a note, what to disable in the settings. I think, Code may be the simplest of all to use. Sublime and Atom need to be pre-configured first. But like I said, idle3 will do also, just, it is very limited.
I would be very interested in notes you have on what to disable in VS Code. TIA
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

baldyeti

#5 Post by baldyeti »

Eric is also available in the debian stretch repository.

If you already have eclipse installed, you may also consider its "pydev" plugin.
Last edited by baldyeti on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

#6 Post by Richard »

Idle is good for beginning since many beginning tutorials assume it is available.

Agree with others, Pycharm free version is good. Does have a learning curve but one can ignore many functions in the beginning. Also Eric, Ninja, etcetera.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Buck Fankers

#7 Post by Buck Fankers »

srq2625 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:32 am I would be very interested in notes you have on what to disable in VS Code. TIA
Sorry for the delay, couldn't find notes, so i had to track down the url ;-)

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/visual-stud ... tion/58276

Code: Select all

Goto File → Preferences → Settings or press Ctrl+, →

Old school
Edit the content to look like this:

{
    "telemetry.enableTelemetry": false,
    "telemetry.enableCrashReporter": false,
    "update.channel": "none",
    "update.enableWindowsBackgroundUpdates": false,
    "update.showReleaseNotes": false
}
and/or:

Code: Select all

New settings editor
If you are using the new settings editor, you will find the settings under Application → Update and Telemetry.

Manual
Locate the settings file

/home/$USER/.config/Code - OSS/User/settings.json
Use your favorite editor and edit the content to look like this:

{
    "telemetry.enableTelemetry": false,
    "telemetry.enableCrashReporter": false,
    "update.channel": "none",
    "update.enableWindowsBackgroundUpdates": false,
    "update.showReleaseNotes": false,    
    "files.exclude": {
        "**/.git": true,
        "**/.svn": true,
        "**/.hg": true,
        "**/CVS": true,
        "**/.DS_Store": true
      }
}

srq2625

#8 Post by srq2625 »

Buck Fankers wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:00 pm Sorry for the delay, couldn't find notes, so i had to track down the url ;-)
No worries - I am not and wasn't in a hurry. I have so many things on my plate right now it'll be a while before I get to this....
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

Return to “Software / Configuration”