-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

woogaloo (beta): GUI for performing hodgepodge system tasks

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

woogaloo (beta): GUI for performing hodgepodge system tasks

#1 Post by skidoo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:25 am

Stevo wrote:http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=43837
Posted by Stevo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:30 pm

It seems at least a few people would like a MX MasterTech type of app where we could view systemlogs, adjust swappiness and zram parameters, and other advanced system goodies, like that Mint script that was mentioned.
idunno MasterTech or what sorts of tasks you have in mind, but here's a framework
woogaloo: a bash+yad GUI app toward easing assorted system tweaking, and administrative, tasks.

betatesters can grab .deb file from the github page, or clone the repository and collaborate toward populating additional tasks
(and task-specific interstitial help dialogs) https://github.com/antix-skidoo/woogaloo

oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: woogaloo (beta): GUI for performing hodgepodge system tasks

#2 Post by oops » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 am

Good initiative, this is interesting.
I didn't know than Preload was not compatible with the Kernel swappiness tweak.
And a suggestion, to add some information before the click to Begin , and maybe to add also prelink.
$ inxi -S : System: Host:XEON Kernel: 4.16.0-xeon-01.efi x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 - Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon

sleekmason
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by sleekmason » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 am

Woogaloo! What a great name! Downloading . . .

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:12 pm

We'd probably change the name to something more descriptive for a MX tool version, though. Does anybody have anything other than Master-Tech, NERD-ALERT, or Geekazoid? Advanced-system-tune?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 pm

We might want to wait until people have tested...
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by skidoo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm

"woogaloo" is a whittled-down UnlockMe, as is noted in the script's header.
====> stripped of the wget | sudo sh stuff
====> dialogs converted from zenity to yad
====> services -related tasks converted (UnlockMe presumes systemd systemctl is available)

It's just an academic exercise, exploring the functionality of yad.
Posted with the hope of inspiring more peers to become "makers"; I'll coach/collaborate if someone cares to adopt it, rename it, repurpose the framework.

Some of the sample wrapped "tasks" (e.g. `sudo echo "vm_swappiness=10" >> /etc/sysctl`) are so simplistic that it feels sinful to hide them behind a UI; others are borderline silly (I needa "app" to clear my browser cache???). Some of the tasks "empower" the user, in the sense of "gee, I didn't realize I could do THAT"... but the yad UI isn't well-suited to providing necessary "background info" explaining why (or why not) one should (or should not) do THAT.

Toward fleshing out the "Help", could wrestle with shoehorning a 4th column into into the table, to provide clickable per-item help icons... or, par for the course, embed a generic "Help" button (mx-viewer --} wiki page?)

Predictably, each of the tasks begs several questions:
izzit safe?
can i undo?
why izzit not already the default? (because one size does not fit all use cases)

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 pm

or, par for the course, embed a generic "Help" button (mx-viewer --} wiki page
If it develops into a MX app, that is what we would do. If you keep a little text file in the meantime, then that could be pasted and edited/expanded as needed.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:14 pm

I'd say that the cleaning tasks duplicate those already in Bleachbit, so I'd cut those out and concentrate on the tweaks and tuning parts.

Edit: I changed my mind, it's handy to have those.

BTW, you should change the "Architecture" in debian/control from "any" to "all" , so you get an architecture-independent deb when built with the packaging tools. There aren't any compiled binaries in the package. Nice work otherwise!
Last edited by Stevo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by kmathern » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:37 pm

A note about cleaning the logs. MX Updater (apt-notifier) greps the /var/log/dpkg.log* logs to show 'History' of upgrades, installs, removals, etc. If you remove ("clean") the /var/log/dpkg.log* log files you end up losing most of the package management history with the exception of the most recent activity that's in the /var/log/dpkg.log file.

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by colin_b » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:46 pm

I'm not sure whether this can be done or not, but I'll throw it in as a suggestion.

Would it be possible for the first two settings, zRam and zSwap, to have the option of running at startup via a second checkbox?

If the settings work effectively on a computer it would eliminate the need to manually start them every time.

Return to “Software / Configuration”