-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

About New MXPI installer

vamsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

About New MXPI installer

#1 Post by vamsi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 am

The new installer is good but iam not able to know how much it is downloaded

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: About New MXPI installer

#2 Post by skidoo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 am

shows 67.8MB will be downloaded, and expected size-on-disk will be 167MB

*actual size-on-disk is often substantially less, if "localepurge" is installed on your system
(discards any freshly-downloaded locale-specific docs that are irrelevevant, per your choices specified via "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" and/or during installation/setup of the "localepurge" package)

vamsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by vamsi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:46 am

skidoo wrote:shows 67.8MB will be downloaded, and expected size-on-disk will be 167MB

*actual size-on-disk is often substantially less, if "localepurge" is installed on your system
(discards any freshly-downloaded locale-specific docs that are irrelevevant, per your choices specified via "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" and/or during installation/setup of the "localepurge" package)
Okay but when we update in terminal it shows how much % it is downloading and how much MB is downloading if the progress is shown it would be very nice is what i am aying

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by asqwerth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:26 am

I think vamsi is referring to the text progress bar you get if you use apt full-upgrade as the command instead of apt-get dist-upgrade.

That's one of the benefits and differences between apt and apt-get, which I like. Might be something to consider for mx17 's package installer.

The new installer with the console tab is impressively fast by the way and I'm liking it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Adrian » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

I'm a bit worried about apt because it says this:

Code: Select all

SCRIPT USAGE AND DIFFERENCES FROM OTHER APT TOOLS
       The apt(8) commandline is designed as an end-user tool and it may change behavior between
       versions. While it tries not to break backward compatibility this is not guaranteed either
       if a change seems beneficial for interactive use.

All features of apt(8) are available in dedicated APT tools like apt-get(8) and apt-
       cache(8) as well.  apt(8) just changes the default value of some options (see apt.conf(5)
       and specifically the Binary scope). So you should prefer using these commands (potentially
       with some additional options enabled) in your scripts as they keep backward compatibility
       as much as possible.

vamsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by vamsi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:37 am

Adrian wrote:I'm a bit worried about apt because it says this:

Code: Select all

SCRIPT USAGE AND DIFFERENCES FROM OTHER APT TOOLS
       The apt(8) commandline is designed as an end-user tool and it may change behavior between
       versions. While it tries not to break backward compatibility this is not guaranteed either
       if a change seems beneficial for interactive use.

All features of apt(8) are available in dedicated APT tools like apt-get(8) and apt-
       cache(8) as well.  apt(8) just changes the default value of some options (see apt.conf(5)
       and specifically the Binary scope). So you should prefer using these commands (potentially
       with some additional options enabled) in your scripts as they keep backward compatibility
       as much as possible.
Ok..

Return to “Software / Configuration”