News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Struggling to connect to wifi network with 3 different PCIe adapters

strugglingwithwifi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Struggling to connect to wifi network with 3 different PCIe adapters

Post by strugglingwithwifi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:17 pm

On a HP Elitebook 745 running MX Linux 18.3, I've tried 3 different PCIe wifi adapters but haven't been able to connect to my wifi network with any of them. I'll describe what I've tried with each one, providing the most detail for the Atheros 9485.

First, here are my hardware specs from inxi -f:

Code: Select all

CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD A10 PRO-7350B R6 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G bits: 64 
           type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           Speed: 1097 MHz min/max: 1100/2100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1123 2: 1141 3: 1097 
           4: 1094 
           Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm aes aperfmperf apic arat avx bmi1 bpext clflush cmov 
           cmp_legacy constant_tsc cpb cpuid cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de decodeassists extapic 
           extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid fma fma4 fpu fsgsbase fxsr fxsr_opt ht hw_pstate ibs 
           lahf_lm lbrv lm lwp mca mce misalignsse mmx mmxext monitor msr mtrr nodeid_msr 
           nonstop_tsc nopl npt nrip_save nx osvw overflow_recov pae pat pausefilter pclmulqdq 
           pdpe1gb perfctr_core perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pni popcnt pse pse36 ptsc rdtscp 
           rep_good sep skinit ssbd sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm svm_lock syscall tbm 
           tce topoext tsc tsc_scale vmcb_clean vme vmmcall wdt xop xsave xsaveopt

1. Broadcom 43228, 14e4:4359

This is the chipset for the original wifi adapter that came with the machine. Following some of the links in the MX Linux manual, I found that the wl driver was appropriate for this chipset. But with this driver the machine wasn't seeing any available wifi networks. So, using the MX Network Assistant's Linux Drivers tab, I tried various load/unload/blacklist combinations. The results were the same each time, no recognized wifi networks.

Next I found and downloaded the correct Windows driver for this chipset on the HP website. This was a folder with several files, including bcmwl64.inf, bcmwl63.sys, and bcmwl63a.sys, along with four .dll files and two .cat files. In the Windows driver tab of MX Network Assistant, I installed the NDISwrapper and added the driver. I got the following error: "The sys file for the given driver cannot be determined after parsing the inf file." As I noted above, there were two .sys files in the same folder as the .inf file. However, they are both bcmwl63 whereas the .inf file is bcmwl64. Perhaps they are the wrong files.

At this point, I've never seen any available wifi networks using this adapter.

2. Qualcomm Atheros AR9485, 168c:0032 (rev 01)

While on the HP website to get the driver for the other adapter, I saw that the laptop originally shipped with one of two wifi adapters, one with the Broadcom chipset above and one with this Qualcomm chipset. The Debian wiki says, "For Mini PCIe all cards with an Atheros chipset are supported" (link: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi ). The following link shows that the correct driver for this chipset is ath9k: https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k . So I bought a new adapter with this chipset and installed it.

With this adapter, the system is able to see several available wireless networks, including mine. When I try to connect to it, it repeatedly pops up the Wi-Fi Network Authentication Required window and asks for the password again, and it never connects.

Since I could now see but not connect to the network, I followed the instructions under the heading, "-The found network does not function", on p. 64 of the MX18 user manual. I'll include the results of the four commands:

inxi -n
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 6c:c2:17:7f:8e:f7 
           Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: ee:66:62:36:99:ca

lsusb | grep -i net
No results.

lspci | grep -i net
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0e)
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

lo        no wireless extensions.
- I made sure the firewall was turned off.
- I tried restarting the router.
- I tried pinging websites such as google.com and also ran traceroute to google.com using the MX Network Assistant. No results appeared in either case; it didn't seem as if anything at all happened when I clicked the Start buttons.
- I installed Ceni and tried configuring the network with it. The result was:

No DHCPOFFERS received.  
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.  
/bin/run-parts --exit-on-error --verbose /etc/network/if-up.d
At this point, I'm able to see but not connect to my wifi network with this adapter.

3. Qualcomm Atheros AR9285, 168c:002b

On a whim, I took this card out of another HP machine running MX Linux and installed it. In the other machine it successfully used the ath9k driver so I used that one. I got the same results as with the other Atheros card: I can see several wifi networks, including mine. But as above, it repeatedly asks for the password and never connects.

Before I try to find a compatible external USB wifi adapter, I'd like to see if I can get one of these to work, preferably the AR9485. I'd appreciate any help towards that goal.
Last edited by strugglingwithwifi on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Struggling to connect to wifi network with 3 different PCIe adapters

Post by sunrat » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 pm

What does this show?

sudo rfkill list

strugglingwithwifi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by strugglingwithwifi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:28 pm

sudo rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
Last edited by strugglingwithwifi on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Eadwine Rose » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:27 am

Please post outputs between code tags, that improves readability of a post. You can find it next to the quote button: </>
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”