Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Who is using SSD's?

Post Reply
User avatar
KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Who is using SSD's?

#1

Post by KBD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Even more than ram, I've seen SSD's improve performance and bootup/shutdown times across the board. I just ordered another SSD. I'll only have 2 computers still using spinning disks, my server, and one laptop running Windows.
I wasn't in a hurry to migrate to SSD's, but couldn't help but notice how fast my Chromebooks were, even on 2 gb of ram with SSD's. Then I saw an old laptop with just 4 gb of ram that was miserably slow would run like a champ by just changing out the hard drive for an SSD.
So anyone else moving to Solid State Drives?

rasat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#2

Post by rasat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm

I thought when changing HDD to SSHD (hard disk with a small amount of fast solid-state storage built in), would do the speed and having 1TG storage. With SSD, though smaller storage, you don't want to return back. Its amazing.

User avatar
Adrian
Developer
Posts: 10151
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:42 am

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#3

Post by Adrian » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:33 pm

I promised myself to never use rotational HDD if possible. Nowadays SSDs are pretty cheap for decent size and even for larger size (which I don't typically need) they are not that expensive anymore.

User avatar
anticapitalista
Developer
Posts: 6305
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#4

Post by anticapitalista » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Using ssd on old hardware really is a *must* IMO if a user wants to use a modern OS.
For example, I was given an old Thinkpad T61 (32 bit only) with a reasonable amount of RAM (3GB), but running antiX on the old hdd was slow. Swapped the hdd for a cheap ssd, and antiX-buster(!) flies on it.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

User avatar
Stevo
Developer
Posts: 20158
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#5

Post by Stevo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Plus MX also automatically trims SSDs every week, so it's just install and use.

I'm trying to help an older lady at the library who has an 2013 HP laptop with no hard drive at all (apparently it failed years ago, the shop took it out, send it to a place that put a new circuit board board on it and recovered data, but now she doesn't now what happened to the drive--the laptop has been in a drawer for years and now the battery is most sincerely dead) She had thought that the motherboard was fried, but I booted off the LiveUSB for a few minutes and confirmed that everything just worked. It was idling at 60C/140F, but I only had a few minutes, so I didn't have time to install s-tui and stress it to see how the fan was working.

It's a great candidate for MX, but she's stubborn and suspicious, and can't see why we do this for free. She insists she needs Wordpad and Word for her collection of rtf files, and I can't get through to her that many Linux programs support that format.

I wonder how MX would run off an SD card if I installed it to that, but also don't know how big a card the reader supports.
Last edited by Stevo on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#6

Post by KBD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Adrian wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:33 pm
I promised myself to never use rotational HDD if possible. Nowadays SSDs are pretty cheap for decent size and even for larger size (which I don't typically need) they are not that expensive anymore.
True. You can often get SSD's for the same price, or less than ram. If I only had a choice of either ram or SSD, I would chose an SSD every time to speed up a machine.
Really Big SSD drives are not inexpensive, but 99% of the time a 120 gb SSD is all I need. Those can be picked up for $20-$25.

User avatar
KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#7

Post by KBD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:53 pm

anticapitalista wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm
Using ssd on old hardware really is a *must* IMO if a user wants to use a modern OS.
For example, I was given an old Thinkpad T61 (32 bit only) with a reasonable amount of RAM (3GB), but running antiX on the old hdd was slow. Swapped the hdd for a cheap ssd, and antiX-buster(!) flies on it.
That T61 is an awesome old beast :) Those older Thinkpads just keep going :) I've had 7 Thinkpads, and 2 are my daily drivers right now. Great computers. I put an SSD in a T410 that had 4 gb ram and was running Windows 10, that thing crawled until I put the SSD in it.

User avatar
chrispop99
Global Moderator
Posts: 3108
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#8

Post by chrispop99 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:12 pm

I wonder how MX would run off an SD card if I installed it to that, but also don't know how big a card the reader supports.
Would it boot from an SD card reader? I have only come across one machine of perhaps a dozen that will, and that was because the reader was connected to the USB bus of the machine, rather than PCI.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

User avatar
manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#9

Post by manyroads » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Stevo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm
Plus MX also automatically trims SSDs every week, so it's just install and use.

I'm trying to help an older lady at the library who has an 2013 HP laptop with no hard drive at all (apparently it failed years ago, the shop took it out, send it to a place that put a new circuit board board on it and recovered data, but now she doesn't now what happened to the drive--the laptop has been in a drawer for years and now the battery is most sincerely dead) She had thought that the motherboard was fried, but I booted off the LiveUSB for a few minutes and confirmed that everything just worked. It was idling at 60C/140F, but I only had a few minutes, so I didn't have time to install s-tui and stress it to see how the fan was working.

It's a great candidate for MX, but she's stubborn and suspicious, and can't see why we do this for free. She insists she needs Wordpad and Word for her collection of rtf files, and I can't get through to her that many Linux programs support that format.

I wonder how MX would run off an SD card if I installed it to that, but also don't know how big a card the reader supports.
Wonderful story @stevo ... if you want to try using an SD card be certain to get one rated 30MB/sec or faster. I personally find the 10MB too ponderous :snail: ; but then, I'm pretty sure even 10MB will be faster than a laptop in the drawer turned off. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

User avatar
manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#10

Post by manyroads » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Another vote for SSD from the "old guy'... :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”