News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

<SOLVED> swap partition, swapfile, swappinnes, hibernation and ...

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: swap partition, swapfile, swappinnes, hibernation and ...

Post by philotux » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:14 pm
Ah, so it's working with your swap file now. I'll have to try that instead of a partition.

MX Tweak has a setting to add a Hibernation button to the XFCE logout/shutdown options. It's also easier to see what's happening on resume if you turn off the splash screen in MX Boot Options.
Yes, it is! It was an interesting exercise. Thanks for the tip, a button will surely facilitate things. Don't have to issue the command in a terminal then. I'll turn the splash off as well to see the process.

Thanks!

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm

philotux,
Despite not being maintained anymore, the author apparently deems it to be stable enough to be used.
Just say no to this. Do you really want a daemon from an unmaintained package managing critical memory functions? I don't think so.

My recommendation is to follow the conventional wisdom. A little hard drive space set aside, and your good to go forever and no need to think about. But, if you have a working swap file now and plenty of RAM, your still good to go. A TON of computer science has gone into Linux memory management so users don't have to overthink it.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:20 pm

figueroa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm
Just say no to this. Do you really want a daemon from an unmaintained package managing critical memory functions? I don't think so.
No. That's why I posted to ask if someone has used it or currently is using it, etc. The function they describe is quite interesting at any rate.
figueroa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm
But, if you have a working swap file now and plenty of RAM, your still good to go

Yes, I am quite pleased with the swapfile shared between two systems and now with the hibernation activated, that was a bonus.

Thanks for your reply and the good advice.

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:29 am

Stevo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:14 pm
Ah, so it's working with your swap file now. I'll have to try that instead of a partition.

MX Tweak has a setting to add a Hibernation button to the XFCE logout/shutdown options. It's also easier to see what's happening on resume if you turn off the splash screen in MX Boot Options.
I got somewhat longer boot time after activating the hibernation according to the procedure outlined above. Having followed your suggestion to turn off the splash screen, I could see some line saying something to the effect "resume unit not found. Giving up"

Apparently having added "resume=/dev/sda13" (that's where the swapfile resides) to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub following the instruction in Debian wiki page, didn't quite work. Strange thing is that, it worked when I tested it initially, but after a proper shutdown, I got the longer boot issue.

At the time of making the swapfile running sudo mkswap /media/Storage/swapfile as part of the series of commands to be run I got an UUID number for the file, something I thought was a bit odd since it is a question of a file and not a partition but probably the system regards it as such. After all it is "mounted" via fstab.

Anyways, replacing /dev/sda13 with the UUID in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT which now reads GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=bbc2c672-351d-40cb-9000-92967b87c341 quite" solved the issue and the boot time is back to what it was before, that is quite a bit faster.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”