News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[solved] New motherboard and i can not login MX 17.1

postcd
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: New motherboard and i can not login MX 17.1

Post by postcd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:31 am

baldyeti wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 am
Just taking a wild guess here: if your keyboard and/or mouse is/are connected by USB, you may need to "enable USB legacy" in the BIOS (or disable it if you find such an option, try to toggle it)

edit: now seeing your screenshot (ata errors) and inability to manually mount, i doubt this is related to USB...
First time i launched without USB keyboard setting, but then i enabled USB keyboard in BIOS. USB keyboard worked to type in terminal and also in live session, so i see no prob. regarding this. And i also tried PS2 keyb. and seen no change.
OS: MXLinux GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560 ; full HW specs. as of 1/2019

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:18 pm

If Firefox is shutting down after a few minutes running from LiveUSB then there are other problems here.
If the LiveUSB runs properly before you try to mount your Linux HD partition then you might be able to get your system going. If you can't get the LiveUSB to do so then there are hardware problems that need addressing.

I will note that the processor you have installed is not on your motherboard's CPU compatibility list - given the similarities to some CPUs that are it could be OK but I wouldn't bet against it being the problem. Windows & Linux exercise the capabilities of a CPU a bit differently so it's possible to have Windows run and Linux not simply because Windows doesn't try to run a particular command that Linux does (and vice-versa).

The ATA errors indicate problems in the hard drive system. Could be a bad cable, a corrupted filesystem, a failing drive, trying to mount a drive formatted on a motherboard with sata mode set to ACHI on a motherboard with the mode set to IDE (or vice-versa).

And although it sounds unlikely, I have seen PSU issues cause these kinds of symptoms.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:48 pm

postcd wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:51 pm
i replaced my motherboard to become Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1 socket 775
Same mobo I'm using now. Been very reliable for the past 10 years or so.
Previously it was socket 771 motherboard G31M ES2L rev. 2.0. CPU stays same, it has some reduction on it and it works after i cut some parts of the socket.
Don't think I'd be game to hack the CPU socket. Which cpu is it btw?
Liquorix with systemd not boot into login menu, but shows black screen and repeats messages like: ATA7.00 ; Failed command: READ DMA EXT ; TIMEOUT ; DRDY
I believe this is a disk read error. It's possible your HD is failing. Hopefully you have all your data backed up.
I did once change a mobo/cpu and the previous Debian system still worked. I wouldn't expect that to be always the case though, especially if the cpu is not supported by the mobo.

postcd
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: [solved] New motherboard and i can not login MX 17.1

Post by postcd » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:52 am

Thank you all for the replies.

This was the problem probably:
timkb4cq wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:18 pm
The ATA errors indicate problems in the hard drive system. Could be a bad cable, a corrupted filesystem, a failing drive, trying to mount a drive formatted on a motherboard with sata mode set to ACHI on a motherboard with the mode set to IDE (or vice-versa).
in BIOS i just switched SATA/IDE ctrl mode to AHCI and also ICH SATA control mode to AHCI. It was IDE on this new motherboard and on previous motherboard i had probably it set to AHCI when i installed MX Linux.
So apparently MXLinux is not made to work when sata control mode is changed..

And MXLinux boots now without problem. Can MXLinux developers provide some more apparent message so one understand he need to change SATA controller mode in BIOS?

Also after that the PC boot screen may be stuck at "Detecting IDE drives" kind of message. To solve it i reconnected my SATA cables from GSATA2_x ports to SATA2_x kind of ports. Maybe these GSATA (violet ones) are made only for IDE and RAID, not for AHCI.
OS: MXLinux GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560 ; full HW specs. as of 1/2019

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: [solved] New motherboard and i can not login MX 17.1

Post by sunrat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:30 am

It certainly helps to have all the facts. I switched mine to AHCI many years ago when I put an SSD in. SATA/IDE worked ok with HDs though.
"GSATA" is Gigabyte-speak for the ports attached to the Marvell controller which is fairly universally accepted to be garbage. I never used it.
Back up all your data anyway if you haven't yet. One day you will need it.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”