News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 18: SD card and USB memory stick are not mounted

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: MX 18: SD card and USB memory stick are not mounted

Post by fehlix » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm

gsm wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:57 pm
Meanwhile i found a similar problem:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=45566
Have you tried this from the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo partprobe
after having inserted to SD-card into the computer.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

gsm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gsm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:47 pm

I tried the command: sudo partprobe
Cannot see any improvement or difference.
Remark:
There is no such directory as: /sys/module/usb_storage
So there is also no file with this pathname: /sys/module/usb_storage/parameters/delay_use

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by fehlix » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 pm

gsm wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:47 pm
I tried the command: sudo partprobe
Cannot see any improvement or difference.
Would you see those sd-card or usb-key within gparted?
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:03 pm

gsm wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:47 pm
There is no such directory as: /sys/module/usb_storage
So there is also no file with this pathname: /sys/module/usb_storage/parameters/delay_use
Ah, this may be the problem. You can try to manually load the usb_storage module with:

sudo modprobe usb-storage
Then that directory should appear.

You can get the module to load every boot by creating (as root) a file at /etc/modprobe.d/usb-storage.conf that contains:

usb-storage
You can also use this to set the delay_use parameter but the first step is to get the module loaded.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

gsm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gsm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 am

After each boot the directory usb-storage is now present and contains a file delay_use with value 5 in it.
The value 5 is there because i updated grub to pass this value to the kernel with: usb-storage.delay_use=5. I also tried with values 1 and 10.
After each new boot the file delay_use is updated with the parameter from the grub command line.
It still does not make any difference. The SD card and USB stick will not be mounted.

Please note that mounting the SD card and USB stick works with MX Linux 18 on other hardware, without having an usb-storage directory.
It works also on the HP mini with other software, without having a directory /sys/module/usb-storage/parameters etc.

gsm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gsm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 pm

HP mini 110 netbook.
After several experiments i installed Nautilus and dconf-editor.
I did not change anything else.
Somehow the USB stick was now automatically mounted, asking for the root password. Even the SD card was mounted!
With Rufus i have made a new live MX Linux 18 USB stick on the 4GB Patriot, which i used for testing before.
After booting the live system default with the English language and not changing anything it appeared that both the SD card and another USB-stick (32GB Medion) were mounted automatically when inserted. This happened without asking the root password.
Also the system could be shut down without a problem with the SD card and USB stick still inserted and mounted.
I don't quite understand what's happening and will do further testing trying to sort out exactly what went wrong and how before on the HP mini with MX Linux 18.

gsm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gsm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:22 am

Live MX 18 32-bit system:
Both SD card and USB stick will be mounted and can be opened without password, when both were inserted before booting the HP mini 110 with the live MX 18 32-bit system.
The SD card will not be mounted again, after being unmounted, then removed and inserted again.
When the SD card and USB stick are inserted after booting the live 32-bit MX Linux 18, only the USB stick will be mounted and can be opened without needing a password.

After booting the installed system from the hard disk (Nautilus installed), it depends on which kernel is selected via the Advanced boot choices:

Using the standard? kernel "MX 18 Continuum, with Linux 4.19.0-1-686-pae":
Only the USB stick will be mounted, when inserted after the boot and the system asks for the root password. The SD card will not be mounted (again) after it was inserted. Both the SD card and one or more USB sticks will be mounted when inserted before the boot, but can only be opened after entering the root password. The system will not shutdown completely when the SD card was not mounted and not removed before the shutdown is started.

Using the kernel "MX 18 Continuum, with Linux 4.19.0-1-686-pae (systemd)":
Both the USB stick and SD card will be mounted, when inserted after the boot and the system asks for the root password. Both are mounted when inserted before the boot.

It seems that the kernel, with (systemd) after its name, does a better job, mounting USB devices automatically, than the standard kernel does.

gsm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gsm » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:01 pm

After many tests, also with older kernels (e.g. 4.14) there seems to be a problem mounting SD cards automatically, related to SysVInit on some hardware.
I can no longer reproduce mounting problems with USB sticks. So the problem is only with SD-Cards.

Bypass:
On the two HP systems, HP mini 110 (32-bit) and HP desktop Pavilion m8000 (64-bit), i used MX Boot Options, selecting to save the last start-up choice (which is a systemd kernel version).
Strange enough on another HP laptop Pavilion dv9000 (dv9623ed), also with Intel processor, the SysVInit kernel (32-bit) runs better than the systemd version and also can mount SD cards automatically.

I tried several Linux distributions. MX Linux 32-bit is for me the best and quickest Linux distribution overall for my older and somewhat slow hardware.

gsm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gsm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:36 pm

SpaceFM can be used to access and mount (with a click of the mouse button) the SD card.
Thunar will afterwards also show the mounted SD card
You might see the following error message, but the SD card will be accessible:
udevil: error 63: no media in device /dev/sdb (or specify type with -t)

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”