News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 18-64 live don't run using the custom menu option on a VGA display

Echevresm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MX 18-64 live don't run using the custom menu option on a VGA display

Post by Echevresm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:55 pm

I tried to run MX-18 64 bits from an USB stick recorded with the MX USB Live maker. My PC is an Intel NUC with a Pentium N3700 processor, 8 Go RAM, 500 Go HDD, 2 video sockets : VGA and HDMI. With a VGA monitor, if I boot using the first option, it works. But if I boot using the default option : "custom", the monitor shuts down and remains switched off. Trying the same option with a VGA-TO-HDMI adaptor connected to the HDMI socket, I got it booting and made my USB Live persistant-static.
I didn't get this issue with MX 17.1.
Is this a bug ? Same issue encountered ?
Regards,
Michel.

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX 18-64 live don't run using the custom menu option on a VGA display

Post by BitJam » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:09 pm

I don't know why this would happen. I haven't seen this issue before but I was away for most of 2018. The only difference between those two entries should be the "menus" boot parameter in the customize entry. You can check that by looking at the file /live/boot-dev/boot/grub/grub.cfg. The only difference that parameter should make is that text menus will appear during the boot process. There should be no other change.

I diff'ed the grub.cfg and the theme/theme.txt files between MX-17 and MX-18 and there were no significant changes. So, I don't know why one entry works and the other doesn't and I don't know why the MX-17 customize entry works and the one for MX-18 doesn't.

Here are a couple of wild stabs. When you boot, edit the entry that works and add "bp=b9". That should drop you to a bash shell a few seconds into the boot process. If that works then try "bp=1,2,3" which will open up busybox shells earlier in the boot process. Finally, you could try "menus=s". This will only open up the "save" menu which is the last one. You could also try combining "bp=1" with "menus". If the grub.cfg is okay then my guess is it is just a strange UEFI thing. We have no lack of those.

Maybe the VGA monitor is losing sync while we are waiting for you to make menu selections. You could try pressing <Enter> a few times and see if that gets things moving.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:22 pm

the initrd of the mx17.1 vs. the mx18 is identical except for the addition of a module require for accessing the encrypted live-USB.

Before booting up the nuc, had you booted up that live-USB on a different system?

Also, please clarify the menu entry. by default, its "Customize ...." but if you've already booted up on a different machine and saved the setup, the default entry is "Custom...." for the previous saved boot setup.

I've also seen some interesting things where the backlight will be inverted when booting UEFI vs. Legacy. My thinkpad does this, and it causes some minor confusion occasionally.

I'm glad you got something working for you, but like BJ I'm a bit of a loss as to why it happened.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by fehlix » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Echevresm wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:55 pm
But if I boot using the default option : "custom", the monitor shuts down and remains switched off.
The first question to ask, is this booting legacy or UEFI?
In legacay Boot Menu you have F2, F3 etc menu displayed at the bottom of the screen.
If legacy than the Custom boot option is created after having saved with F8.
In legacy mode you see the current "saved" boot option with the field starting with quiet
or get it displayed by pressing F12.
In UEFI-boot menu, you might see additional parameter in the line starting with "linux",
after pressig "E"-key to edit the menu entry.
Try to find out what parameter are within the Custom-menu entry.

In addtion: HDMI-monitors , sometime do not wake of after switching modes, I do have an autostart, to wake up
my 2nd HDMI monitor after log-in... :snail:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Echevresm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Echevresm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:45 am

Thank you all for your answers. My primary goal was to test the static persistence of MX 18 on an USB stick and as I said I reached it. But your answers drove me to do some other tests with another USB stick.

First I remembered that MX-17.1 was installed on my own NUC with another VGA monitor without any problem and I have installed this version on 5 others identical NUCs connected to different old VGA monitors, also without problems.

When booting MX-18 live or MX 17.1 live in UEFI mode with my current VGA monitor (ACER 16", 1366x768p) with the first grub option, the screen is switched off during 17 seconds, then waked up and MX starts. But with the second option (Customize...) it doesn't wake up. Connecting this monitor through a HDMI-VGA adapter, both the 2 options work perfectly.

I tried to boot with an older VGA monitor (ViewSonic 15" 1024x768p) connected directly to the VGA port...and the 2 first grub options worked again perfectly with MX-18 or MX-17.1.

Conclusion : just a particular monitor issue.
Regards,
Michel.

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Echevresm wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:45 am
Conclusion : just a particular monitor issue
Thanks for following up and letting us know! If you have any other problems, please post them in the forums here. I hope you have a happy New Year!
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”