News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G Quad-Core

paxdriver
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: AMD RYZEN 5 2400G Quad-Core

Post by paxdriver » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 pm

As a proud builder of a new Mint 19 install I can say with pride that it works better than my win 7, 8 I've been using the past 10 years by mega-parsecs.

APU works right out of the box after a quick BIOS toggle to "integrated-auto". Had to manually adjust the RAM speed in the BIOS for some reason though, lest it have been set to 2333 and have gone underutilized using B450M D3SH from gigabyte.

I do multimedia and gaming on the win 10 unactivated partition, boot loading managed by GRUB, got mix of 2 TB HDD, SSD boots up faster than the loading animation can make a full rotation. Heavy use of Blender crashes hard. I was hoping to be able to manipulate displacement maps better but considering onboard graphics I can't really complain. Smoke, shaders and 8K textures roll very cleanly in Blender but it doesn't handle 1,000,000+ poly meshes very well. Rendering HDR and textures is surprisingly fast, especially considering the entire system cost less than $600.

HIGHLY recommend getting 3,000 mhz ram with C15 or less latency, since the CPU is using 2 GB of system memory as its video RAM.

Super value and Mint performs like it was built for Ryzen 2400G

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:29 pm

@paxdriver
What is your question regarding MX Linux on this MX help Forum?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

paxdriver
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by paxdriver » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:31 pm

It was meant to be a reply to someone else's question about the R5 2400G performance with latest mint. Just offering my experience with a new build of similar specs.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:39 pm

paxdriver wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:31 pm
It was meant to be a reply to someone else's question about the R5 2400G performance with latest mint. Just offering my experience with a new build of similar specs.
Thank you for helping out.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

makeitbreakit
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by makeitbreakit » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Edit: This is not explicitly related to MX Linux, so apologies. Was hoping to share my experience. I'll find a more appropriate forum.

Hi, I'm trying to get into computers with the 2400G, with the ultimate goal of going Linux only. Long story short, except for a brief period of buttery smooth use, I've experienced endless difficulty trying to get Linux working. My hardware is as follows: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gJvMtg, HDMI to TV if that matters. BIOS updated to Jan2019. Bear with me, I have a lot of information.

My saga began with the Crucial SSD. Once the machine was put together, I put Mint19 on a USB (via balenaEtcher) and LiveBooted/installed shortly thereafter. It worked like a dream for maybe 6 weeks until the system began to freeze up during moderately intensive gaming. I could force terminate the game and regain use in the system up until it crashed completely. After some exploring, I discovered the BIOS couldn't detect the Crucial SSD anymore. I tried the other SATA ports, but it seemed the SSD was dead. This was after <2 months of moderate daily use. So, I returned it, got the new Samsung SSD hoping it would be more durable. It has been durable, unfortunately, Mint has never actually worked.

After some challenges (I think I had to unplug the ethernet cable), Mint installed, but it never functioned properly. I'm not sure I've ever gotten to the log-in screen after initial reboot. I can boot into Software Rendering Mode via the "nomodeset" bypass (explained in the linuxmint.com link below). Without "nomodeset" most often it freezes at a black screen (right after the GRUB menu) requiring manual reboot; sometimes I see this error message "amd-Vi: unable to write to IOMMU perf counter." Then I Ubuntu thinking maybe it's just Mint. It will install successfully, but after 1 or 2 reboots, it experiences the same problems as Mint. Boots to black screen and makes no progress.

I've tried installing the AMD graphics drivers, I've tinkered with BIOS settings, I've spent hours in Software Rendering Mode with the kind and patient people of HexChat. I've tried kernel updates (via ukuu in Software Rendering Mode) up to 5.0. Same problems.

I've explored threads like:
https://www.linux.org/threads/linux-min ... een.13482/
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon.php

And now I'm inserting myself into this conversation hoping to make some in-roads on this problem.

I apologize if this is the wrong venue, but it seemed at least vaguely relevant. If anyone has any thoughts or insights, I welcome them. I will try some more things in the next few days and check back in with my progress (or lack thereof).

Thank you!

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”