-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

New SSD required

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: New SSD required

#11 Post by sunrat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Tom's Hardware regularly update their Best SSD guide:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,3891.html

I would go for a Samsung 860 EVO. I currently have a 2 year old 850 EVO and a 7 year old OCZ Vertex2, both still going strong.
SSDs are just plug n' play in MX, no extra tweaking required. I do use noatime in mount parameters which reduces writes a bit, but mainly because I don't need atime anyway. ;)

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by entropyfoe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 pm

It's not just the M2 or NVMe, it also has to have PCI-E 4 X 3.0 and the motherboard as well. That's what gets those crazy fast speeds.

I would agree with sunrat, in MX it is plug and play, the NVMe was detected automatically, no problems with using it as a boot drive.
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17.1, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by oops » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:36 pm

entropyfoe wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 pm
If your motherboard will take the NVMe M2, it is 3-5 times faster than the SATA. Only the newer boards have the NVMe sockets on the board.

In practice you might not see that full delta except in benchmark testing.

I have the NVMe (see sig line below) , and it is fast. hdparm (I forget if it is the -t or -T buffered or non-buffered?!?!?) give 2000-3000 MB/sec, where as the Samsung SATA is about 500MB/sec for my data drive.
Thanks, it's interesting to know for a better SSD choice.
$ inxi -S : System: Host:XEON Kernel: 4.16.0-xeon-01.efi x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 - Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon

Fornhamfred
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by Fornhamfred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks for all the replies. As the machine is reporting possible future problems with the main drive (500GB) and I think I will probably replace it with a SSD and the Samsung 860 EVO looks to be favourite.

wulf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by wulf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Just a small caveat that might be worth a mention. If you are dual booting with windows and intend to install the Samsung "magician software" under that system, (for optimisation of the SSD), I'd recommend having a good in-depth read of the EULA. Unless it's changed from a couple of years ago, I seem to remember that in order to use it, you were required to accept an awful lot of data collection. I installed it and then uninstalled it, and I noticed a read/write performance hit from the uninstall. However, if you are installing on a Linux only machine, then there is nothing to consider as I don't think Samsung make the "Magician software" available for Linux, and the SSD runs just fine. I still get speeds on par with those mentioned by entropyfoe in an earlier post..

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by sunrat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Fornhamfred wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am
Thanks for all the replies. As the machine is reporting possible future problems with the main drive (500GB)
I had a really old HD that reported "imminent failure" in SMART for well over 2 years of everyday use. It was retired from main drive duties after that appeared, and used for data and well backed up.
and I think I will probably replace it with a SSD and the Samsung 860 EVO looks to be favourite.
Good choice. 500GB one seems to be the sweet spot for price currently.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”