-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

ASUS T103 HAF and Bitlocker

giogio
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

ASUS T103 HAF and Bitlocker

#1 Post by giogio » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:33 am

Hi,
just bought a new ASUS Transformer Mini T103HAF-GR033T, 120GB with windows 10.
After configuring the machine as asked by the system (i.e. with windows 10) I tried to test if it is able to run MX linux (MX 17 64 bit live).
My goal is to see if the live session is working fine, if so trying to install to the SSD, if it is not possible, trying to put the system on a mini flash for a dual boot.

After booting from USB key (pressing ESC at the boot sent me on the boot menu allowing to select the USB key as a boot device) my MX went on and seemed to work fine, apart the screen fixed on vertical position. At this point I wanted to stop the machine looking for a way to see the screen the horizontal way.

After that, I tried to restart the machine, but this was locked by the request to insert the code for bitlocker.

So i discovered my windows partition was - by default, no one asked me about that - crypted by means of bitlocker.
After recovering my key (connection to microsoft site to get it : nothing while configuring the machine asked me to save something like this) I was able to see again my windows machine.

This was done while just running MX live, without trying to access to the hard disk (ssd), so now I am afraid to go on with my test with it.

Is someone aware of how it is possible to treat this strange bitlocker problem? They (Asus and Microsoft) created it to be "GDPR conform", but in my opinion it is just another trick to not let you use another operating system.

Thank you all

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: ASUS T103 HAF and Bitlocker

#2 Post by fehlix » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 am

seems someone had a similar experiences and solved it by disabling bitlocker to install linux, posted here:
Turn off BitLocker on the T100
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

giogio
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: ASUS T103 HAF and Bitlocker

#3 Post by giogio » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:18 am

Thank you, This evening I will follow that link and I will put here the news as soon as I will be able to work on the machine.

giogio
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: ASUS T103 HAF and Bitlocker - hardware compatible?

#4 Post by giogio » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm

Just a few updates.
I discovered the very hided voice to disable the bitlocker. After that I disabled it, the partition went uncrypted and I was able to going on.
I booted via usb MX Linux (pressing esc at start up to select the booting device). After a while I was able to boot, I saw the screen the vertical way only, so I had to rotate it, using the screen rotate option in MX.
At the moment, the keyboard is ok, the pen does not work fine, the touch screen has a few problem (sometimes), the touch pad is working fine, the wifi is running fine, the sound does not work.
On next days I will go deeper in its use.

giogio
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: ASUS T103 HAF and Bitlocker-Hardware compatible?

#5 Post by giogio » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm

According to Asus it is impossible to boot from the microSD that is not seen by the bios. So it is only seen by windows as an archive disk "D".
This means that MX booting from USB cannot see the microSD.
Maybe I can install MX on the main partition after resizing windows, but not so sure the machine will allow a dual boot.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”