-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Screen tearing? Graphics hardware? Weird blanking HP laptop!

linwinux

Screen tearing? Graphics hardware? Weird blanking HP laptop!

#1 Post by linwinux » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm having a really odd issue on 3 identical HP 6730b laptops with Centrino dual-core processors.
Here's a link to the specs: http://www.lapspecs.com/detail/hp-compaq+6730b

The only time this screen issue becomes evident, is when I close the laptop lid without logging out first. If I log out and close the lid, this issue never occurs at all. Take a look at the images, weird stuff that I've never experienced before. OS is stock MX 17.1 without any graphic tweaks ... eccept for enabling composite for transparency. Anyone else ever encounter this?

screenfluid01.jpg
screenfluid02.jpg
screenfluid03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Screen tearing? Graphics hardware? Weird blanking HP laptop!

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 pm

no, but if you are using intel graphics hardware, I suggest trying to force use of the intel driver. this can be done on the last tab in mx-tweak.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Do you have it set to suspend when you close the lid, or is it just turning the screen off?

I have a sort of similar issue with the bleeding edge MSI laptop's Intel display when it comes out of hibernation, but it's fine with suspend to RAM. Parts of whiskermenu and other application, like the "Places" list in dolphin, are invisible until I pass the cursor over them, then vanish again when I go fix some other part of the display. This is with the intel driver, not modesetting. So far, it's not a critical problem since s2ram works fine, and it boots so fast anyway.

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] driver: N/A 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.3 
Note that is the Mesa version I just backported to get the graphics working really well except for that issue; the same problem occurred with the stock graphics stack and hibernation, though.

linwinux

#4 Post by linwinux » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:25 am

Thanks. Been testing the forced setting several times since yesterday afternoon, so far so good. That brings to mind another question though ... with Mint, Ubuntu, and other distros the general concensus has always been to use the default settings that are assigned during the installation. Does this mean with MX it's always the proprietary drivers that should be used first (when available), or is it just a "see if the proprietary drivers work or not" kind a thing from one system to the next?

No, I don't do anything with the laptops, except to adjust the screen power saving mode, so it won't stay on endlessly. But since I build setups for other people, I generally test the loose closing of the laptop lid since I know that many people don't even bother to log off properly. A lot of people just shut the lid, expecting everything to work normally when it's opened again. Of course I tell them to log of properly, which only takes a few seconds anyway, but whoever listens to technical advice anymore, sigh ... :eek:
(aside from other technically inclined people)

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 am

linwinux wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:25 am
Thanks. Been testing the forced setting several times since yesterday afternoon, so far so good. That brings to mind another question though ... with Mint, Ubuntu, and other distros the general concensus has always been to use the default settings that are assigned during the installation. Does this mean with MX it's always the proprietary drivers that should be used first (when available), or is it just a "see if the proprietary drivers work or not" kind a thing from one system to the next?

No, I don't do anything with the laptops, except to adjust the screen power saving mode, so it won't stay on endlessly. But since I build setups for other people, I generally test the loose closing of the laptop lid since I know that many people don't even bother to log off properly. A lot of people just shut the lid, expecting everything to work normally when it's opened again. Of course I tell them to log of properly, which only takes a few seconds anyway, but whoever listens to technical advice anymore, sigh ... :eek:
(aside from other technically inclined people)

Debian switches to using an open source xorg driver called modesetting as the default for a lot of parts, including intel parts. The intel driver is also open source for a lot of Intel parts (some require a binary nonfree firmware blob). So we use the debian defaukt but provideo an override.

As to what ubuntu and mint so....no idea. Could be they don't use modesetting at all. Could be their xorg stack is newer (since ubuntu uses a snapshot of debian testing as a base) and whatever bug you hit on mx is already fixed upstream. Could also be tlp is interfering...I don't think ubuntu and mint used that by default (unless 18.04 does, haven't checked ).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”