-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 issue: "Jabra Speak 510+ MS" speakerphone = jitter only (in combination with Twinkle)

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MX-17 issue: "Jabra Speak 510+ MS" speakerphone = jitter only (in combination with Twinkle)

#1 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 pm

EDIT: Changed title of original posting.

Today I had the chance of testing a Jabra Model PHS002W speakerphone (conference audio device including a loudspeaker, a sound card, a DSP and a microphone) in combination with MX-17.

This device seems to be marketed by the name "Jabra Speak 510" (https://www.jabra.com/business/speakerp ... -speak-510) (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

I tested it in combination with Twinkle (a well-known Linux-based SIP client).

Whereas Twinkle had worked fine before, in combination with some cheap standard "Lync-compatible" USB headset, the great Jabra Speak 510 got me jitter only.

This is peculiar, as this speakerphone is usually known as working well with Linux distris. Actually it has repeatedly been described as Linux-friendly (unlike its successor, the 410, which seems to have needed a firmware update in order to work with Linux distris).

I'd love to help debug this. I already changed the "ALSA play (LS) period size" to "1024", and the "ALSA capture (MIC) period size" to "1024" also, as advised in form of a "tip" within the corresponding Twinkle menu, but to no avail.

Btw. since I plugged in the Jabra device, loudspeaker output was jittered also, when I tried using only the Jabra's microphone (test scenario 2).

Greetings, Joe
Last edited by MX-16_fan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-17 issue: "Jabra Speak 510" speakerphone = jitter only (in combination with Twinkle)

#2 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:52 pm

@skidoo:

PS Since this seems to be a driver / sound system issue, I hope that you agree that this problem qualifies as being called an "MX-17 issue" :happy:.

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-17 issue: "Jabra Speak 510" speakerphone = jitter only (in combination with Twinkle)

#3 Post by MX-16_fan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm

UPDATE:

Just tried to identify the device using lsusb, which gives me

Code: Select all

Bus 006 Device 003: ID 0b0e:0422 GN Netcom 
This gets me a little further in my debugging efforts.

When I search the web for the above-mentioned hardware ID, I don't really find much, but what I do find is this here: https://wiki.innovaphone.com/index.php? ... r_7510-109. This is exactly the ID I have here. The part number on my device, however, is different from the device of the part number listed on that website (P/N: 7510-309 here, instead of 7510-109). However, I, too seem to have an "MS" variant.

Now you'd probably love to know what that "MS" variant is :happy:.

Seems that Jabra built a number variants of this speakerphone. Go to http://www.jabra.com/supportpages/jabra ... /#7510-209, click the pulldown menu and look at the hyperlinks. Apparently there are:

1) Jabra Speak 510 (P/N: 7510-209)
2) Jabra Speak 510 MS (P/N: 7510-109)
3) Jabra Speak 510+ (P/N: 7510-409)
4) Jabra Speak 510+ MS (P/N: 7510-309) <- This is the one I have here.
5) Jabra Speak 510 for PC (P/N: probably 100-43100000-02)

Some of the above-mentioned variants seem to be what Jabra calls "standard UC models":
FAQ - TOP QUESTIONS

What is the difference between standard UC models and models that are certified for Microsoft Skype for Business?

The models that are certified for Microsoft Skype for Business (or Microsoft Lync) support Microsoft Skype for Business as a Plug and Play experience. The Plug and Play experience includes these benefits:

Automatic selection as the default audio device.
Features to answer and end calls, adjust volume, and mute.

If multiple certified audio devices are present, certified models also offer call prioritization. Microsoft Skype for Business will correctly send the audio to the device that was used to answer an incoming call.

If you use a model that is certified for Microsoft Skype for Business with a different computer telephony (softphone) client, the product should work the same as a UC model regarding audio and features (such as answer and end calls, adjust volume, mute).

If you are not using Microsoft Skype for Business, use the standard UC model.

(http://www.jabra.com/supportpages/jabra ... /#7510-209; you must click yourself into the FAQ).
Now this FAQ answer alone doesn't really tell you which models exist precisely. Btw. the Jabra people don't even document the differences of the above-mentioned various models in their so-called "Datasheet" (http://www.jabra.com/_/media/Product-Do ... asheet.pdf). IMHO the Jabra people should seriously rethink both their marketing and website documentation strategies.

However, to sum up, what we do learn from all these pieces of information scattered all over their website is that there seem to be several variants, some with special Skype for Business features and some that are "non-MS", i.e. "normal".

I suppose that trying MX-17 with one of the "normal" variants is more promising.

I'll change the title of this thread in order to further specify the model variant in question in this thread here.

Greetings, Joe
Last edited by MX-16_fan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Adrian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks for info I do have a Jabra Speak 510 (not sure what version), I connected with USB and it shows in the list of sound devices but it doesn't play sound and cannot use the mic. It was not a priority to make it work since I don't really plan to use it.

I wonder, does it work if you connect it through Bluetooth?

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by MX-16_fan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:51 pm

@Adrian:
Adrian wrote:Thanks for info (...)

You're welcome
:number1:.
Adrian wrote:I wonder, does it work if you connect it through Bluetooth?
Can't tell. My machine doesn't have Bluetooth yet.

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by MX-16_fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:14 am

UPDATE:

I had to return the device. Hence I can't go on with this test.

I'll try to get a "normal" model, and, in case I can get one for testing, document that test in another thread.

I'll leave this thread here as it is in case someone else wishes to try and get the "Jabra Speak 510+ MS" to work with Twinkle on MX-17 (or some other SIP software – I assume that these problems are more or less the same with all SIP softphones). I guess that quite some people could be grateful for having the documentation of the different model variants (see above) available here.

Greetings, Joe

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”