-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

2 in 1 screen rotation

johomato
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

2 in 1 screen rotation

#1 Post by johomato » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:12 am

I now have a 2 in 1 laptop. Everything seems to work out of the box except for the screen rotation - MX-17 is awesome. With the display settings I can get the screen to rotate, but the touchscreen behaves as though the screen is in the normal position. I've found several references to this on line, but I'm a bit unsure how to implement the fixes as they are all for different distros. Could someone help me with some concise instructions that will actually work?

Also, florence works well - is there a way to get it to come up automatically when hitting on a text field?

Thanks!

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: 2 in 1 screen rotation

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm

johomato wrote:Also, florence works well - is there a way to get it to come up automatically when hitting on a text field?

Thanks!
I don't know the application, but the developers do and seem to have pretty good documentation:

http://florence.sourceforge.net/english/index.html

Have you looked at that?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

johomato
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by johomato » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 am

Florence is a minor issue compared with getting the touch screen and rotation to sync. That issue is beyond me to fix and I would appreciate some help with it :-)

antiX-Dave
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by antiX-Dave » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 am

I do not have a 2 in 1 but my guess is that there is some sort of switch, the same as when closing the laptop. If there is you should be able to map xrandr to the switch. Then when it "switches" it would run xrandr with the same resolution but a different rotation setting, and likewise for back the other way. If the switch only has one event type then you would need to put the xrandr commands in a script where the script would write out a temporary "state" file that if can reference to see if it is open or in tablet mode. Perhaps the switch events are even possible to grasp through the use of udev events. Then you should not need a script.

johomato
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by johomato » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 pm

xfce has a gui for display settings that will rotate the screen, but the touchscreen function does not follow the screen orientation - touchscreen function acts as though the screen is in the normal position. xrandr acts the same way, touchscreen does not follow the orientation... My laptop does diasble the keyboard and touchpad when I fold the screen over. I have found a couple of scripts - none seem to be specifically for debian or my system so am a bit hesitant to try them - don't want to break my system...

I'm hoping someone can give me concise instructions for something that will work. Willing to try, but haven't worked with scripts before...

johomato
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by johomato » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:52 pm

WHOO-HOO...figured it out with some help from google. This works like a champ! Still need to figure out how to make a shortcut to the taskbar for it...

https://gist.github.com/rubo77/daa262e0229f6e398766

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”