-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Issues with network and peripherals

danielson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Issues with network and peripherals

#1 Post by danielson » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:44 pm

It's not the first time Linux distros 'dislike' peripherals like my printer or connecting to the network.
As of late, have noticed that after setting up HP printer on MX-17 via network, that the printout had painfully slowed down (taking more than the usual few seconds to do a duplex print for example).
This is even now reflected when asking prints on the Windows side too.
Also, this a.m., a friend at the other end of the network, saw his connection to the internet fall and mine did as well (while i was working on MX-17) while my Android device did not.

Is there an MX-17 tweak to solidify network connections?

Dual bootin' with Windows 10
Distro: MX-17_x64 Horizon
Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p
CPU: Dual core Intel i5-2520M.
Office: LibreOffice.
Browser: Firefox (Quantum), Vivaldi (Snapshot).

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Issues with network and peripherals

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Like MX Network Assistant?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm going to offer an alternate theory which may or may not have anything to do with your setup.

Do you happen to have a router with beam forming technology. maybe something like directional beam shaping or some other such label.

I have a linksys with this stuff (actually 2 but I'm only using 1) from my local office store. this particular model has 3 antennas (AC1600 I think). I've noticed that whatever device is the last connected in the chain gets a slightly better connection than those added before it. The problem is compounded by distance. If i'm in the extreme corner of my house and connect to the wifi with my phone, then I will get a connection, but I will cause other wireless users in the house to have issues, depending on what they are doing. In these scenarios, the wired systems are unaffected.

I postulate in my own environment that the windows systems lose connection because they don't adjust their power settings fast enough. That is a complete guess. What does work is whoever needs the connection to speed up a little needs to disconnect then reconnect. that disconnect/reconnect seems to be to rebalance the network load, although my phone will lose its connection in the extreme corners of the house in that scenario.

There can also be conflicts with networks with multiple samba servers, even unused usb ports on routers with drive sharing built in. This is true even in all-windows environments, and can screw up network folder browsing, scanning, printing, and other samba/smb shared resources.

QoS settings can also affect this. often video streams are set to a higher priority on home routers. So if you are streaming on the phone, it might be provided more bandwidth by the router automatically, at the expense of other users.

There is even more sources for problems if you are using a 2.4ghz band, like most g and n connections. interference from neighbors systems or even feedback on your home power system can cause all sorts of 2.4ghz issues. I'm pretty sure my drug dealers/tomato gardeners next door are using grow-lamps with piss-pour ballasts that are dumping out a ton of interference in the 2.4 ghz band. they have turned their basement lights off for almost a year.... and they came on about the time my issues started.

To truly diagnose what is going on in your setup, I suggest taking some notes. Do you have problem's with file shares? Does your router have a file-sharing option, whether you are using it or not? Are wired systems affected? etc..etc...

Network issues can be complicated.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

danielson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by danielson » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:43 pm

@dolphin_oracle - sounds a bit like a hit and miss situation.

@Jerry3904 -never tinkered with MX Network; noticed a bunch of black listed broadcom devices; should i install NDISwrapper?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Jerry3904 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:47 pm

What is the output of this as regular user:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB

danielson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by danielson » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Network:
Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Jerry3904 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Nope (click on that Help button!). But you can use the Diagnostics tab to get some more info.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”