News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Primus laptops

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Primus laptops

Post by dirkme » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:43 pm

anticapitalista wrote:
dirkme wrote: So, I hoped that MX can do the same, if Ubuntu and Solus and inuz Mint can do, why would MX be able to do it ;-) ?
You ask why?
I am a very simple man, i only as questions for 3 reasons:

1.) For things I don't know

2.) For things I don't understand

3.) For things I need help with

That's all, these are my reasons to ask questions.

anticapitalista
Developer

Post by anticapitalista » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:48 pm

No problem with you or anyone asking questions.
I just gave you a simple answer to your question that's all.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Has th OP tested the packages that were compiled the last time this topic came up? I believe there are links in the original thread and possibly packages in our test repo.

Note you probably would want to test with a fresh install and not use ddm-mx to do the original driver installation. BumbleBee actually conflicts with ethe nvidia-prime solution, assuming it works. You could post feedback back in the original thread.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

greywolf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by greywolf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:16 pm

I agree with Anti; within limited resources the devs here have provided a solution that does work, and it works fine, even on this cantankerous Asus X555U machine. Is it everyone's preferred solution, probably not.

I bought this machine not even knowing it was 'Optimus' enabled. Whilst I would not knowingly buy another one, just look for a machine with better battery life, it has been useful in allowing me to learn about the stuff to help the people I support ( over 200 of them). My solution to the gaming 'issue', if it occasionally arises, is to dual boot the machine with Mint 18.2 Xfce and leave Mint on its nVidia profile. This is only for a gaming 'session'. Very rare & a quick reboot away. Otherwise the machine functions perfectly well using Bumblebee under MX.

BTW, it's just my opinion that Linux devs are like 5 year olds in the playroom, they don't share too well?! :p

cheers,
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dirkme » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:19 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:Has th OP tested the packages that were compiled the last time this topic came up? I believe there are links in the original thread and possibly packages in our test repo.

Note you probably would want to test with a fresh install and not use ddm-mx to do the original driver installation. BumbleBee actually conflicts with ethe nvidia-prime solution, assuming it works. You could post feedback back in the original thread.
Hey Dolphin,

yes tried it and I did with a fresh install, didn't work.

If I remember right, i installed it with gdebi.

How would be the rigth procedure to install it? 1. Nvidia installing and before nreboot installing that compiled primus package?

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dirkme » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:23 pm

greywolf wrote:I agree with Anti; within limited resources the devs here have provided a solution that does work, and it works fine
hmm, I must be very stupid, i haven't found that solution, not in MX16, not in Arch, Not in Mageia 5.1 or 6. Those are the distros I tried to have bumblebee running without cooking my laptop to death.

laptop:

ASUS ROG Strix GL753VD 17.3" GSYNC Gaming Laptop GTX 1050 4GB Intel Core i77700HQ 16GB DDR4 1TB 7200RPM HDD RGB Keyboard

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 am

dirkme wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:Has th OP tested the packages that were compiled the last time this topic came up? I believe there are links in the original thread and possibly packages in our test repo.

Hey Dolphin,

yes tried it and I did with a fresh install, didn't work.

If I remember right, i installed it with gdebi.

How would be the rigth procedure to install it? 1. Nvidia installing and before nreboot installing that compiled primus package?
no way to test this, but I think you install the nvidia drivers and the nvidia-prime package.

this command should install your drivers.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall  --install-recommends -y --force-yes  nvidia-driver nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-dkms libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 nvidia-xconfig

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 am

Just a reminder as I stated earlier in a post in different thread, I tried this on my Optimus laptop without success,
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 am

richb wrote:Just a reminder as I stated earlier in a post in different thread, I tried this on my Optimus laptop without success,
did you not install bumblebee? they conflict.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
richb wrote:Just a reminder as I stated earlier in a post in different thread, I tried this on my Optimus laptop without success,
did you not install bumblebee? they conflict.
I had it installed, but deleted it and as I recall any config files associated with it.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”