News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Primus laptops

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Primus laptops

Post by dirkme » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 pm

I had a few posts about this and just want to ask if it were possible to do a NVIDIA install on MX16 and following like Ubuntu 16.04 and Solus does with their Hardware Managers?

It would mean a lot to me, really, I am on my knees as I really would like to use MX as my main driver, the most stable system in my opinion, but i would need to have my NVIDIA running and not the Intel graphics card.

And no, Bumblebee is no alternative.

Dolphin, mayday mayday mayday ;-)

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Primus laptops

Post by duane » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Scratching my head here. Can't figure out what your post has to do with the title.
Do you mean you are using a Primus laptop? I guess that is it. Just wasn't immediately obvious to me.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 pm

While there's no current "click a radio button and install Nvidia" tool in MX-16.1, I found that the instructions for installing the Nvidia driver using the sgfxi script (described in the Wiki) to be nearly as easy on my system. For what it's worth, I'm a novice Linux user, and found the instructions in the Wiki easy to follow.

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dirkme » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:57 am

whell wrote:While there's no current "click a radio button and install Nvidia" tool in MX-16.1, I found that the instructions for installing the Nvidia driver using the sgfxi script (described in the Wiki) to be nearly as easy on my system. For what it's worth, I'm a novice Linux user, and found the instructions in the Wiki easy to follow.
primus laptops have a Intekl Graphic Card and a Nvidia graphic card and just installing a Nvidia driver, sadly, doesn't work.

greywolf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by greywolf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 pm

primus laptops have a Intekl Graphic Card and a Nvidia graphic card and just installing a Nvidia driver, sadly, doesn't work.
I think you will find they are usually referred to as 'Optimus' computers. The two alternative commands under Bumblebee solutions are 'optirun' or 'primusrun'. You can search for Optimus in these forums and find quite a bit of discussion.

I use & support a number of Linux distros, and I have found that Mint/Ubuntu are the only ones using the 'Prime' applet solution. ie turning on one or the other card full time via the profile applet. All other distros seem to use some variation of the Bumblebee solution. It does work, and work quite well. You just have a bit more setup to do.

Rather than run 'optirun' or 'primusrun' in front of the program command at the time of use, I just edit the menu commands and place the command in there. Then, any link to the menu item picks up the 'pre' command. Maybe Mint/Ubuntu don't share how their solution works (wouldn't think so) or most devs just use Bumblebee because it's the emerged standard.

If you are not a gamer, like me, I have found the vast majority of stuff I do can use the Intel card. The Nvidia card is used quite rarely, so the Bumblebee setup is not onerous. You are going to be very limited in your choice of distro if you insist on the "Prime' applet solution.

Best of luck,
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dirkme » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:19 am

greywolf wrote:
I think you will find they are usually referred to as 'Optimus' computers. The two alternative commands under Bumblebee solutions are 'optirun' or 'primusrun'. You can search for Optimus in these forums and find quite a bit of discussion.

I use & support a number of Linux distros, and I have found that Mint/Ubuntu are the only ones using the 'Prime' applet solution. ie turning on one or the other card full time via the profile applet. All other distros seem to use some variation of the Bumblebee solution. It does work, and work quite well. You just have a bit more setup to do.

Rather than run 'optirun' or 'primusrun' in front of the program command at the time of use, I just edit the menu commands and place the command in there. Then, any link to the menu item picks up the 'pre' command. Maybe Mint/Ubuntu don't share how their solution works (wouldn't think so) or most devs just use Bumblebee because it's the emerged standard.

If you are not a gamer, like me, I have found the vast majority of stuff I do can use the Intel card. The Nvidia card is used quite rarely, so the Bumblebee setup is not onerous. You are going to be very limited in your choice of distro if you insist on the "Prime' applet solution.

Best of luck,
greywolf.
My brain was frozen and I didn't find the name "Optimus' computers" is the right name for it.

I do like to play world of tanks and it does better on the Nvidia card than on the Intel.

Also Solus is installing the Nvidia card with their hardware graphic card installer.

So, I hoped that MX can do the same, if Ubuntu and Solus and inuz Mint can do, why would MX be able to do it ;-) ?

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dirkme » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 am

So, I guess every1 is working hard on this issue? :-)

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:12 am

I have had my Acer Optimus laptop for several years, and it has been worked on for several years for Linux with no auto detect solution for everyone. So I do not expect a solution other than using bumblebee. It works well with the native Intel card but I do not do games. I would not buy another one, however.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

anticapitalista
Developer

Post by anticapitalista » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 am

dirkme wrote: So, I hoped that MX can do the same, if Ubuntu and Solus and inuz Mint can do, why would MX be able to do it ;-) ?
You ask why?

Ubuntu has (several) paid full time devs
Solus has at least one full time dev
Mint has at least one full time dev
MX has no paid, nor full time dev or devs
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dirkme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dirkme » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 pm

richb wrote:I have had my Acer Optimus laptop for several years, and it has been worked on for several years for Linux with no auto detect solution for everyone. So I do not expect a solution other than using bumblebee. It works well with the native Intel card but I do not do games. I would not buy another one, however.
I tried bumblebee and it kind of tries to melt my laptop, cooking my GPU CPU, so something is different with my laptop, for most people it just works.

Most of my needs work with Intel, but specially my game or games in general, I would like to use my NVIDIA card.

Alos, I never made it work that Etcher cam burn a USB drive, Dolphin said it would work somehow, but i never figured that out. Waiting for MX 17 ;-)

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”