Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Intel DG965OT Power Off Failure

mrmazda
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Intel DG965OT Power Off Failure

#41 Postby mrmazda » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:31 pm

gregorylock wrote:Linux Lite 3.0 is running the machine smoother. However I still experience the same shut down problems in just about about as often as I did with MX15. With that being said, I still love MX15. But Linux Lite seems to be better suited for this particular computer. However I have one complaint about Linux Lite that I feel that I need to mention to the folks at Linux lite. MX15 and most of the other distros I've tried on this machine, at least told me what it was doing in the background. When Linux lite shuts down and it fails, you don't get any messages telling you what is going on. All you get is black screen with a small white cursor.

Try purging Plymouth and rebuilding your initrd. The result should provide a full complement of legible text messages both during init and shutdown. With any luck it will solve the original problem too.
Multi-machine, multi-boot, so way too much time spent updating. :p

spandey
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#42 Postby spandey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:56 am

I had similar problem with a old machine. Whenever I used suspend and resume the shutdown will have same problem like yours. Hope it's not the case with you?

spandey
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#43 Postby spandey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:13 pm

If it's not related to suspend and resume then you can cheat the BIOS by supplying ACPI parameter from GRUB.
You can edit the GRUB entry while booting and one of the following kernel parameters:-
acpi_osi = "!Windows 2006" that is for Windows Vista
acpi_osi = "!Windows 2006 SP1" that is for Windows Vista SP1
acpi_osi = "!windows 2006 SP2" that is for Windows Vista SP2

If this works you can edit /etc/default/grub and add acpi_osi to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and update the GRUB to make it permanent.

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#44 Postby gregorylock » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:57 pm

mrmazda wrote:
gregorylock wrote:Linux Lite 3.0 is running the machine smoother. However I still experience the same shut down problems in just about about as often as I did with MX15. With that being said, I still love MX15. But Linux Lite seems to be better suited for this particular computer. However I have one complaint about Linux Lite that I feel that I need to mention to the folks at Linux lite. MX15 and most of the other distros I've tried on this machine, at least told me what it was doing in the background. When Linux lite shuts down and it fails, you don't get any messages telling you what is going on. All you get is black screen with a small white cursor.

Try purging Plymouth and rebuilding your initrd. The result should provide a full complement of legible text messages both during init and shutdown. With any luck it will solve the original problem too.

Do you run arch?

I never heard of Plymouth and I don't know how to rebuild initrd. At least a link to a wiki page would be a nice start.

spandey wrote:I had similar problem with a old machine. Whenever I used suspend and resume the shutdown will have same problem like yours. Hope it's not the case with you?

I never tried to suspend a linux system.

spandey wrote:If it's not related to suspend and resume then you can cheat the BIOS by supplying ACPI parameter from GRUB.
You can edit the GRUB entry while booting and one of the following kernel parameters:-
acpi_osi = "!Windows 2006" that is for Windows Vista
acpi_osi = "!Windows 2006 SP1" that is for Windows Vista SP1
acpi_osi = "!windows 2006 SP2" that is for Windows Vista SP2

If this works you can edit /etc/default/grub and add acpi_osi to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and update the GRUB to make it permanent.

Currently I don't have Windows Vista on this machine. Since the support for Vista is running out, I don't think I'm going to bother with reinstalling it.

mrmazda
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#45 Postby mrmazda » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:34 pm

gregorylock wrote:I never heard of Plymouth

# apt-cache search mouth
...plymouth - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer...

and I don't know how to rebuild initrd. At least a link to a wiki page would be a nice start.

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.or ... ramfs.html
Multi-machine, multi-boot, so way too much time spent updating. :p

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#46 Postby gregorylock » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:41 pm

mrmazda wrote:
gregorylock wrote:I never heard of Plymouth

# apt-cache search mouth
...plymouth - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer...

Code: Select all

apt-cache search mouth
libplymouth-dev - graphical boot animation and logger - development files
libplymouth4 - graphical boot animation and logger - shared libraries
plymouth - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer
plymouth-dbg - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - debug symbols
plymouth-label - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - label control
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - ubuntu theme
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - ubuntu text theme
plymouth-themes - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - themes
plymouth-x11 - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - X11 renderer
bilibop-lockfs - lock filesystems and write changes into RAM
edubuntu-artwork - edubuntu themes and artwork
jovie - text-to-speech system
kmouth - type-and-say frontend for speech synthesizers
kmouth-dbg - debugging symbols for kmouth
libloudmouth1-0 - Lightweight C Jabber library
libloudmouth1-0-dbg - Lightweight C Jabber library (debugging symbols)
libloudmouth1-dev - Development files for Loudmouth Jabber library
libnet-jabber-loudmouth-perl - Perl interface for the loudmouth jabber library
mythbuntu-default-settings - default settings for Mythbuntu
plymouth-disabler - disable plymouth by installing .override files
plymouth-theme-edubuntu - Plymouth is an application that runs very early
plymouth-theme-hamara - boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - Hamara theme
plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo - graphical boot animation and logger - kubuntu-logo theme
plymouth-theme-kubuntu-text - graphical boot animation and logger - kubuntu-text theme
plymouth-theme-lubuntu-logo - plymouth theme for Lubuntu
plymouth-theme-lubuntu-text - plymouth text theme for Lubuntu
plymouth-theme-sabily - plymouth theme for Sabily (graphical theme)
plymouth-theme-sabily-text - plymouth theme for Sabily (text theme)
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-gnome-logo - graphical boot animation and logger - ubuntu-gnome-logo theme
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-gnome-text - graphical boot animation and logger - ubuntu-gnome-text theme
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-mate-logo - graphical boot animation and logger - ubuntu-mate-logo theme
plymouth-theme-ubuntu-mate-text - graphical boot animation and logger - ubuntu-mate-text theme
plymouth-theme-ubuntustudio - Ubuntu Studio Plymouth theme
plymouth-theme-xubuntu-logo - graphical boot animation and logger - xubuntu-logo theme
plymouth-theme-xubuntu-text - graphical boot animation and logger - xubuntu-text theme
texlive-generic-extra - TeX Live: Generic additional packages
texlive-humanities - TeX Live: Humanities packages
texlive-latex-extra - TeX Live: LaTeX additional packages

mrmazda wrote:
and I don't know how to rebuild initrd. At least a link to a wiki page would be a nice start.

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.or ... ramfs.html

I briefly looked at the link. I need to read it deeper. I might be back with some more questions on that.

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#47 Postby gregorylock » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I wanted to give you guys an update on this.

Since participating in this thread. My DG955OT computer suffered a big windows update problem. As you are aware I was running Windows Vista on one hard drive and MX15 on the other. My final goal was to find a distro of Linux that could properly shut down the computer every time.

What happened was the Windows Vista updater kept running and running and running but couldn't do anything else. I ended up removing Windows Vista and tried to install Windows 7. Windows 7 said it wasn't compatible. Strange because I used to run that exact DVD of Windows 7 on the machine. To make a long story short. When I removed Windows I could no longer boot into the MX15 hard drive. I decided since I had to start all over anyways, I would just install Linux Lite 3.0 and see what happens. I've since updated to Linux Lite 3.2. The shutdown issues continued. Several weeks ago, I decided to install kernel 4.10 for Linux Lite. After that I have not had another shutdown issue. Next I tried to install 4.12. I've been running it for a week and still no shutdown issues.

Since this is has been an intermittent problem I can't say for sure if the problem is solved. But it seemed that with all the work we did in this thread you guys deserved an update.

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#48 Postby gregorylock » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:09 am

I just wanted to hop in and give you guys an updated. 4.12 kernel in linux lite isn't solving the problem. I'm probably not going to be solving the issue and I probably won't be returning to this thread again. Thanks for all your help and understanding.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”