Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 2 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Intel DG965OT Power Off Failure

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Intel DG965OT Power Off Failure

#11 Postby gregorylock » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:07 pm

lucky9 wrote:Welcome to the forum gregorylock! :welcome:

Check your BIOS for settings that concern (saving) power. Set all of them to off. If this doesn't do it then I'm with uncle mark. Get a decent power supply.

You might try a cheat code at boot. noacpi comes to mind. Check the wiki. Link is at the top of this page. Use cheatcode in the search box.

I bought the new power supply that was recommended here in this thread, and I also checked all the capacitors. The new power supply is installed and runs much quieter than my old one. However I'm still experiencing the shutdown problem under Linux. Since you brought up the BIOS settings I took a little time and took pictures of it. If you see anything in there that you think I should change let me know. Because I don't... (shruggs)

I see that there are other suggestions in this thread that I have not tried yet. If you guys have any other suggestions to add please add them. I'll try anything eventually. Then I'll report back.

Thanks

mrmazda
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Postby mrmazda » Fri May 06, 2016 10:07 pm

A motherboard with 965 chipset would be old enough to have caught the tail end of the capacitor plague https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague. I have 2 or 3 such boards, one of which I run 24/7, which did need some caps replaced after it was 3-4 years old. The problem caps are nearly always the big ones, electrically 800uF or larger, physically 8mm X 15mm or larger. Bad is not always apparent via leaking or bulging. OST brand caps comprise the vast majority of stealth failures. To get good help on capacitor and power supply issues, visit badcaps.net. I've been able to resurrect a fair number of both motherboards and power supplies by utilizing the resources there to do my own capacitor replacements.

I've been buying from Newegg for over a decade. It's a great operation to do business with if you don't mind its mammoth web pages, typically well in excess of 600MB combined between HTML, external scripts and stylesheets, and not unusually >1GB. All the power supplies I've bought in recent years have come from Newegg. If your new one doesn't solve your problem, you can easily return it without question within 30 days.

If you've not solved the poweroff problem yet, check to see if your 11/17/2008 BIOS can be updated. Even a BIOS reset stands a chance to help.
Multi-machine, multi-boot, so way too much time spent updating. :p

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby lucky9 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:00 am

Welcome to the forum mrmazda! :welcome:

My Gigabyte 965G has held up well. Might have been lucky, but reputation can take precedence over saving a few cents per motherboard.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Postby jdmeaux1952 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:33 pm

Welcome and Howdy to the forum mrmazda! New egg is a good company to buy from. They will treat their customers right.

Now that you replaced the power supply, do as suggested and inspect the caps. Use a magnifying glass to check. Oh, yea! Don't forget to disconnect the power lead before you start! :crossfingers: :crossfingers: (Yea, I did something stupid once. Actually more than once!) :bagoverhead:
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Postby gregorylock » Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 pm

mrmazda wrote:A motherboard with 965 chipset would be old enough to have caught the tail end of the capacitor plague https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague. I have 2 or 3 such boards, one of which I run 24/7, which did need some caps replaced after it was 3-4 years old. The problem caps are nearly always the big ones, electrically 800uF or larger, physically 8mm X 15mm or larger. Bad is not always apparent via leaking or bulging. OST brand caps comprise the vast majority of stealth failures. To get good help on capacitor and power supply issues, visit badcaps.net. I've been able to resurrect a fair number of both motherboards and power supplies by utilizing the resources there to do my own capacitor replacements.

I've been buying from Newegg for over a decade. It's a great operation to do business with if you don't mind its mammoth web pages, typically well in excess of 600MB combined between HTML, external scripts and stylesheets, and not unusually >1GB. All the power supplies I've bought in recent years have come from Newegg. If your new one doesn't solve your problem, you can easily return it without question within 30 days.

If you've not solved the poweroff problem yet, check to see if your 11/17/2008 BIOS can be updated. Even a BIOS reset stands a chance to help.

Hi mrmazda in the video link I reply to your post.

Video Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLJsj4Up5Qs

The power supply that you guys called junk lol actually cost me 40 dollars new! The new one I just put in only cost 28 something.

mrmazda
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Postby mrmazda » Fri May 13, 2016 2:25 pm

IMO wading through a video is a very inefficient way to try to help someone with a problem like yours, particularly when most of the video's time is spent looking at a static computer screen. When words aren't enough, a screenshot or two added usually is more than sufficient. Usually I ignore youtube links. I surprised myself by clicking on this one. It reminded me why I usually ignore them.

I think here that hardware failure here is totally a red herring. There could be a hardware design flaw that requires a kernel workaround though. There are quite a number of potential solutions and workarounds for failure of a Linux system to shut down. Adding acpi=off to kernel cmdline looks like would be a good next thing to try if you haven't already. Adding intel_idle.max_cstate=1 to kernel cmdline also looks promising, which I first found at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=192821 . If you've only been trying to shutdown via login manager, try logging in on a vtty, and run 'shutdown -h now'. Report back what happens when you try these, but if none work, do some more googling too. I'm sure an answer is out there somewhere.

BTW, which login manager and desktop are you using?

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#17 Postby gregorylock » Sat May 14, 2016 5:29 pm

mrmazda wrote:IMO wading through a video is a very inefficient way to try to help someone with a problem like yours, particularly when most of the video's time is spent looking at a static computer screen. When words aren't enough, a screenshot or two added usually is more than sufficient. Usually I ignore youtube links. I surprised myself by clicking on this one. It reminded me why I usually ignore them.

I think here that hardware failure here is totally a red herring. There could be a hardware design flaw that requires a kernel workaround though. There are quite a number of potential solutions and workarounds for failure of a Linux system to shut down. Adding acpi=off to kernel cmdline looks like would be a good next thing to try if you haven't already. Adding intel_idle.max_cstate=1 to kernel cmdline also looks promising, which I first found at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=192821 . If you've only been trying to shutdown via login manager, try logging in on a vtty, and run 'shutdown -h now'. Report back what happens when you try these, but if none work, do some more googling too. I'm sure an answer is out there somewhere.

BTW, which login manager and desktop are you using?

I set up an account with badcaps.net

Thank you for your suggestions. :) I need to research your kernel command lines because right now I don't know how to issue them.

I've been fighting with this shut down issue for 3 or 4 years. In that time, I tried different distros, and did a lot of google searches that left me empty handed. I did the video because I was scared that nobody would believe me anymore. I can't make screen shots of a shutdown problem. =P

I don't know what login manager I'm using. It's whatever came with Mx-15. The desktop is xfce. I don't know what version. I'd haft to go look.

I promise to report back once I've figured out how to issue those commands.

Thanks.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Postby Jerry3904 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:41 pm

I don't know what login manager I'm using. It's whatever came with Mx-15. The desktop is xfce. I don't know what version. I'd haft to go look.
The login manager that ships with MX-15 is LightDM, and the Xfce version is 4.12.2
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

mrmazda
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#19 Postby mrmazda » Sat May 14, 2016 5:57 pm

gregorylock wrote:I set up an account with badcaps.net

Thank you for your suggestions. :) I need to research your kernel command lines because right now I don't know how to issue them.

One does not "issue" a kernel cmdline. Your bootloader does that job. When someone suggests you add something to a kernel cmdline, normal procedure is for you to edit the selected stanza in the bootloader menu, before you begin your Linux boot. How one does this depends on which bootloader is used and how it is configured. Usually the ESC or "e" key initiates the edit function if the menu is in text mode. If in a graphical mode, either the current cmdline is presented ready for editing for whichever stanza is currently selected, or an indicated function key can be pressed to enter edit mode. Then, simply append the suggested parameter, and proceed with a normal boot. If the parameter produces the result desired, then the bootloader can be reconfigured to include the parameter automatically.

I've been fighting with this shut down issue for 3 or 4 years. In that time, I tried different distros, and did a lot of google searches that left me empty handed.

Distros created about the same point in time would be likely to have the same bug. If it isn't really a bug in Linux but in your hardware or firmware, then likely the same workaround would be required in all distros. You wouldn't need a workaround in Windows, because the problem would have been avoided via the driver disk that came with the motherboard, if a fix wasn't already provided by the motherboard manufacturer to Microsoft for inclusion in Windows installation media or in an update.

In Konsole or other terminal or a vtty, do 'dkpg -l | grep dm' to find out.

gregorylock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#20 Postby gregorylock » Sat May 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:
The login manager that ships with MX-15 is LightDM, and the Xfce version is 4.12.2

Hey Jerry I did some quick google searches. Trying to figure out how find the Xfce version. Thank you for giving me that information.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”