News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

HP Detachable laptop

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: HP Detachable laptop

Post by BitJam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Brilliant! I believe the only stuff that is needed to boot MX is the /efi directory and the /boot directory (and of course /antiX). You can try paring away everything else. One way is to make an "Unused/" folder and move everything into it and then move out those 3 folders. If more is needed keep moving things out of "Unused/".

We are currently working on making the installer compatible with mmcblk devices. I'm very interested in the error messages. They might still exist in /var/log/live/initrd.log and initrd.log.color.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:56 pm

@Gaer Boy, in this post I give instructions for downloading an initrd.gz for that should run from mmcblk devices and also be able to do a frugal install to those devices. If it is already booting fine and you don't want to do a frugal install then you can ignore this. Don't add the xtra.tgz file because an even better fix has been announced.

Adrian just announced an new installer for testing that should work with mmcblk devices as well in his post here.

BUT, even this may not boot properly with you 32-bit UEFI. I suggest you try doing the UEFI install and then copy the /efi and /boot directories from the LiveUSB you created to the /boot partition. Again, you may want to save the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file that the installer created because the one from the live media is sure to be wrong. If you overwrite existing /efi and or /boot (case insensitive) directories on the /boot partition then you may prevent Windows from booting (I don't know if this is a bug or a feature).

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Gaer Boy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 pm

I downloaded the initrd.gz and the xtra.tgz files as instructed (I overwrote the Debian grub.cfg file with the antix version). This gave me clean live boot, using Custom boot to set locale. The live system seemed to function well, but with no wireless network card detected (and no bluetooth mouse, but that's not a showstopper). I had previously shrunk the Win8 partition to give me about 7GB, so I tried an install. The main process went well and fairly quickly but with 2 problems.

Selection of partitions showed me these drive options:
mmcblk0rpmb 4MB
mmcblk0boot0 4MB
mmcblk0boot1 4MB
mmcblk0 29.1GB
Selecting the last revealed one ext4 partition at 5.9GB, so I chose that. Later in Win8, the partition showed as two - about 5GB & 2GB (from memory).

At grub install stage, ESP was not offered so I selected install to MBR of one (I looked at a few and didn't make detailed notes) Grub install failed, so I rebooted. I tried all the EFI file options but just got grub-rescue screens.

The lack of any means of saving data from the machine in live boot makes detailed notes difficult. With no network and the only usb port occupied by MX_live, I couldn't find an answer.

I will have another go tomorrow using Adrian's new installer. I'm not too concerned now about losing Win8 - I have the HP recovery USB if all else fails, but progress so far is promising.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-18.3
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-18.3

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Gaer Boy wrote:Selection of partitions showed me these drive options:
mmcblk0rpmb 4MB
mmcblk0boot0 4MB
mmcblk0boot1 4MB
mmcblk0 29.1GB
Selecting the last revealed one ext4 partition at 5.9GB, so I chose that. Later in Win8, the partition showed as two - about 5GB & 2GB (from memory).
I suggest you use the new installer package provided by Adrian. You're hitting bugs that have been fixed. I will try to repackage it as a xtra.tgz file so it is easier for you to install. You could also download Adrian's .deb files and place them on the LiveUSB. I usually make a /xfer directory for this sort of thing. Then try installing them manually.
At grub install stage, ESP was not offered so I selected install to MBR of one (I looked at a few and didn't make detailed notes) Grub install failed, so I rebooted. I tried all the EFI file options but just got grub-rescue screens.
Again, you need to use the latest installer to have a chance of this working.
The lack of any means of saving data from the machine in live boot makes detailed notes difficult. With no network and the only usb port occupied by MX_live, I couldn't find an answer.
The LiveUSB should be mounted at /live/boot-dev. I make a directory at /live/boot-dev/xfer/ and then use that for transferring things to and from the fledgling live system.
... but progress so far is promising.
Extremely promising! I hope we can use what you've done on our 32-bit iso files so they will boot OOTB on 32-bit UEFI-only systems. In that regard, I suggest that you try starting with the 32-bit iso instead of the 64-bit iso but you've been making great progress with the 64-bit system.

I'll try to prepare an xtra.tgz file for you with Adrian's latest installer and a few other goodies. I can also make an xdelta3 patch for our 32-bit iso to see if I figured out what parts are needed to boot 32-bit UEFI. If you moved everything on the LiveUSB except /efi, /boot, and /antiX into the /Unused/ directory and it still boots then I know what changes need to be made. Maybe it will be possible for our 32-bit and 64-bit iso files to both boot on 32-bit UEFI systems. We'll see.

Also, even if the latest installer works, you may need to use files from /efi and /boot on the LiveUSB to make the installed system boot via 32-bit UEFI.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Gaer Boy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks for the /xfer tip - it makes things much easier. This morning's progress - I doubt I will have any more time today.

Adrian's new installer added to live usb. Live boot fine, installed installer, used gparted to show eMMC:
gparted.png
Installation went well, grub install to ESP (I think I saw mccblk0p7). Booting installed system failed. I think this must be because I'm trying to install 64-bit on 32-bit EFI. Debian claims to do that, but I was using the MX installer. I think it will be simpler to start with MX 32-bit (as you suggested ages ago!). I should be able to have a good go at that tomorrow.

Finally, I moved all the directories except /efi, /boot and /antix to /Unused and live boot is still fine. There are a lot of files still in / including a slew of grub-related debs, a number of them beta versions.

Real work and a couple of meetings now call!

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-18.3

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:46 pm

Gaer Boy wrote:Finally, I moved all the directories except /efi, /boot and /antix to /Unused and live boot is still fine. There are a lot of files still in / including a slew of grub-related debs, a number of them beta versions.
I will make an xdelta3 patch for our 32-bit iso for you to try. If it boots via 32-bit UEFI then maybe we can put what you did in the next iso release so other people can use it to boot MX via 32-bit UEFI.

IMO the problem with booting the installed system had nothing to do with the 64-bit kernel (since that worked live). The problem is that IIUC, we only install a 64-bit UEFI shim which won't work on your 32-bit UEFI system. One solution is to copy the /efi and /boot directories from your liveUSB to the /boot partition, after first saving the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. IOW, you will probably need to play the same trick on the installed system that you used to boot the Live system. Move files and directories, DON'T overwrite them. Not a big deal on the usb but important on you boot partition.

We are going to have to make more changes to the installer if we want it to support 32-bit UEFI. I had one idea that might simplify things (it may not be needed). If we only support 64-bit UEFI on the 64-bit iso file (as we do now) and only support 32-bit UEFI on the 32-bit iso file then it should be trivial for the installer to decide whether to do a 32-bit or a 64-bit UEFI install. The downside (which might be unacceptable) is that the 32-bit system won't boot UEFI on a 64-bit machine and the 64-bit system won't boot UEFI on a 32-bit UEFI machine. Legacy booting will work fine though.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Gaer Boy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm done for today, with no further progress. I'm not quite clear on the steps you're suggesting. If you make a xdelta3 patch, could you accompany it with a step by step to create a live usb. I don't need the fine detail, just a clear guide as to what I'm copying, from where and to where. I should have some time tomorrow afternoon (UTC) to give it a good go.

Phil

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Gaer Boy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:47 pm

I tried a fresh approach today.
Live boot MX-15-32. Full update, create snapshot.
Make usb stick with Debian 8.2.0-i386-netist.iso
Copy /antix from updated snapshot, copy /themes to /boot/grub
Rename debian grub.cfg. Copy grub.cfg to /boot/grub.

Live boot on HP OK. No wireless
Try install – all OK to install grub. ESP not offered. Install to MBR

Did not boot.

I don't know why the 64-bit offered ESP for grub and 32-bit didn't. This latest attempt used the latest mx-installer. I've tried all the 32.efi files available to boot from and all fail.

This will go on hold for a few days - I'm whacked!

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Gaer Boy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:24 am

Update: With much help and some new files from BitJam I have finally managed to get MX-15 64-bit installed and booting on this machine. It is not totally straightforward - so far I have to use F9 to select boot device, then navigate to the efi boot file. This gives me the grub screen where I need to use the 'nomodeset' cheat.

I'm still left with no wireless connection and no current prospect of using my bluetooth mouse, but I can at least try the main functions. I will next need to change to the patched liquorix kernel (see http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 04&t=39342).

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:    Host: mx1 Kernel: 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2
           Distro: MX-15_x64 Fusion 24 December 2015
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion x2 Detachable v: Type1 - ProductConfigId
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 815D v: 26.0B Bios: Insyde v: F.04 date: 05/31/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Atom Z3736F (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2165 MHz 1: 532 MHz 2: 768 MHz 3: 499 MHz 4: 499 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@0.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card Failed to Detect Sound Card! Sound: ALSA v: k4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
Network:   Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 31.3GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 5.6G used: 3.3G (63%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 150 Uptime: 31 min Memory: 249.5/1935.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.31 

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Looking forward to an Atom single core (HT), 32 bit, nettop test here also
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”