News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Hardware required for dual monitors [Solved]

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Hardware required for dual monitors [Solved]

Post by tascoast » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:07 am

Given I have a regular VGA and DVI monitor cable (easily obtained s/h too) with a couple of adapters to interchange respective ports I will go with the following inexpensive option for now, and await delivery.

Displayport Display Port DP Male to VGA Female Video Converter Adapter Cable PC

The adapters will provide some leeway for plugging into a monitor, or I'll just grab another DVI cable to simplify things as needed. The last one I found at the s/h shop had a VGA converter attached for two dollars I think.
(I substituted this DVI connector cable for the VGA cable my main display was using before I added the AMD video card to my machine)
Using the DVI connection on the (*spare) monitor did seem to be the only issue so far as ease of access and space to accommodate a converter.
:happy:
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Hardware required for dual monitors [Solved]

Post by tascoast » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:01 am

At long last, my mail arrived and after plugging in a VGA lead to the adapter, the second display worked right away during boot.

Obviously some compromises with the screen size of the right hand monitor a bit smaller. I needed to remind myself to drag the primary Samsung in the Display dialogue window during experimentation with differing settings and resolutions.
Currently I get extra space by dragging any window right to the smaller display, although the Panel/Whisker menu only operates on the left Primary display. on the secondary display only the lower alignment in screens stops a couple of inches above bottom on the primary display.

The screenshot shows both filling the screen equally but in fact there are some artifacts filling the lower part of the right (Secondary) display so I'm a little unclear if changing resolution there might 'expose' the panel.

All said, good fun and extra space never hurts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”