Welcome!
Forum users
  • Please read this before asking for help, and don't forget to add Quick System Info to help requests!
  • Please follow the Forum Rules

Current releases
--MX-21 release info here
--Migration information to MX-21 here
--antiX-21 (Grup Yorum) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX Package Installer - select all option  [Solved]

Help for Current Versions of MX
When asking for help, use Quick System Info from MX Tools. It will be properly formatted using the following steps.
1. Click on Quick System Info in MX Tools
2. Right click in your post and paste.
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX Package Installer - select all option

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I looked at it. I figure you don’t really want to install over 2300 packages.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-21
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

~FLOW~

#12 Post by ~FLOW~ »

Well no, only the upgradable ones.
I agree with the philosophy why I shouldn't select all, but that was beside the point.
So there is no option to select multiple packages with one click.
MX-21.3_KDE_x64
KDE Plasma 5.20
Kernel: 5.19.0-2mx-amd64

Be patient !!
What seams easy for you now, for a newbie might be a monumental helping hand.
An efficient pack will move as fast as the slowest member.

pianokeyjoe

#13 Post by pianokeyjoe »

~FLOW~ wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:41 pm Well no, only the upgradable ones.
I agree with the philosophy why I shouldn't select all, but that was beside the point.
I looked at it as well, and figured you meant packages in that particular set(backports). I agree with you there, a select all upgradeable packages would be nice as in synaptic package manager you are able to do just that. But still, be aware, as some packages still can cause conflicts.. Tried that with Kodi and it was a disaster.
Pianokeyjoe
Intel i5 3.10ghz ,8GB ram, Intel onboard everything, 500GB HDD, MX-LINUX 19.3 :penguin:

Adrian
Developer

Re: MX Package Installer - select all option  [Solved]

#14 Post by Adrian »

~FLOW~ wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:41 pm Well no, only the upgradable ones.
I realized I might have sounded a bit dismissive in my previous post, sorry about that, old habits die hard.

Yes, I could see where you come from where it comes to updates. However, that's also on purpose too. The "Debian Stable" tab does have a "upgrade all" button because that's considered safe, when it comes to Backports I think our recommendation is not to upgrade absolutely everything you can upgrade, as pianokeyjoe mentioned above, it's better to select things you need to upgrade and install one by one. I mean for people who really want to do it they could do that anyway by enabling the Backports repo and leaving it enabled, but that's exactly what we are trying to avoid with MX Package Installer, that's why when you install something from Backports it enables the repo temporarily and it disables it after it installs the packages you selected to install, hope you'll see that this a safer way to deal with Backports.

~FLOW~

#15 Post by ~FLOW~ »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:21 am
Yes, I could see where you come from where it comes to updates. However, that's also on purpose too. The "Debian Stable" tab does have a "upgrade all" button because that's considered safe, when it comes to Backports I think our recommendation is not to upgrade absolutely everything you can upgrade, as pianokeyjoe mentioned above, it's better to select things you need to upgrade and install one by one. I mean for people who really want to do it they could do that anyway by enabling the Backports repo and leaving it enabled, but that's exactly what we are trying to avoid with MX Package Installer, that's why when you install something from Backports it enables the repo temporarily and it disables it after it installs the packages you selected to install, hope you'll see that this a safer way to deal with Backports.
now that's an answer ! Thank you !
Cheers !
MX-21.3_KDE_x64
KDE Plasma 5.20
Kernel: 5.19.0-2mx-amd64

Be patient !!
What seams easy for you now, for a newbie might be a monumental helping hand.
An efficient pack will move as fast as the slowest member.

Return to “MX Help”