News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Encrypted drive in Thunar (1/2 solved)

Help for Current Versions of MX
jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Encrypted drive in Thunar (1/2 solved)

Post by jj1j1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:51 am

When I upgraded MX to 18.3 I chose to encrypt drive. At boot I enter pass phrase to unlock the drive, and it works fine. Once in a while while in Thunar I accidently click the encrypted drive icon in the side pane. It asks me for pass phrase,

It then asks for root password, and when I enter it, it throws an error. (because the drive is already unlocked).

Is there a way to remove this icon? As an extra added bit of fun, once in a while, I cant cancel the enter pass phrase dialog box. When I try it just re appears. I have to kill thunar in order to remove it.
Last edited by jj1j1 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Encrypted drive in Thunar

Post by JayM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 am

Right-click on the DEVICES heading in Thunar's left pane then go to DEVICES (you have the choice of DEVICES, PLACES or NETWORK) and unselect the partition(s) that you don't want to be displayed. (I'm using all caps for these labels because that's how they appear in Thunar.)
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Encrypted drive in Thunar

Post by jj1j1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:33 am

Thanks. Had no idea I could right click that. Now I'm going to be right clicking everything to see if I get options

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Encrypted drive in Thunar (solved)

Post by JayM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 am

I only found out about it because I had the same issue as you, and was thinking "There has to be a way to hide this partition in Thunar" so I started right-clicking on things until I discovered that little trick. :)

Edit: I just discovered that you can right-click on any empty portion of the left pane and get that dialogue that lets you choose which items to show or hide. It doesn't have to be on DEVICES.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Stuart_M
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Stuart_M » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:46 pm

I also use full disk encryption and have the exact same results as jj1j1 did. I too would like to eliminate this annoyance but I cannot while in the Tree view, only in the "Shortcuts" view.

In the Tree view, the categories DEVICES, PLACES, and NETWORK do not appear in the left pane of Thunar and right-clicking on the left pane has no effect.

Selecting Shortcuts vice Tree for the Side Pane view will display the DEVICES, PLACES and NETWORK categories, allowing me to right-click anywhere on the left pane to bring up the menu to unselect my encrypted drive to hide it. So far so good; my encrypted drive no longer appears.

Now the problem. As soon as I select the Tree view, my encrypted drive appears. If I go back and select Shortcuts for the Side Pane view, my encrypted drive remains hidden as it should.

I only want to use the Tree view, so using the Shortcuts view is not an option. I am perfectly happy with MX Linux - everything works fine. This is just a tiny annoyance that only happened when I was exploring my file system.

It is interesting to note that the first image jj1j1 posted was with Thunar in the Tree view (no categories appearing), and the second image is in the Shortcuts view (categories appearing).

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:45 pm

It is interesting to note that the first image jj1j1 posted was with Thunar in the Tree view (no categories appearing), and the second image is in the Shortcuts view (categories appearing).
Yep. I was trying out different settings, though, clicking on encrypted drive in the panel did the same thing no matter how I had it configured.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm tempted to call this a bug, but not sure what part of it is one. Is it the action when encrypted drive is clicked, or the fact that after hiding it in shortcut view it re appears in tree view? My self I think if there wasn't an action attached to it there wouldn't be a problem.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Encrypted drive in Thunar (solved?)

Post by JayM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:58 pm

The only views that I see available in Thunar are icons, detailed list and compact list so I don't know what this "tree view" you guys are talking about is.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 pm

It's in View|Side Pane,

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Oh, the side pane! Thanks! I thought you meant the regular Thunar views for the icons on the right. No wonder I was confused.
:bagoverhead:

Return to “MX Help”