News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[SOLVED]Grub2 Menu.

Help for Current Versions of MX
fehlix
Developer

Re: Grub2 Menu.

Post by fehlix » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:34 am

GuiGuy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:14 am
Editing grub.cfg as root and saving changes seems to work but then rebooting brings up the old menu unchanged.
How many Linxu's you have installed? which Grub of those installed one is the "controling Grub", normaly indicated by the the first entry within the Grub-menu. Mostly all installed linux wich comes with Grub do have a /boot/grub/grub.cfg) . But only one of those will be Grub-Menu you see. You need to edit the grub.cfg within the Linux which get's the grub-cfg loaded at boot (the controling Grub). Also in UEFI booting is different compared to BIOS booting differently when it comes to define "the controling" grub.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

GuiGuy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GuiGuy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am

Thanks, guys.
I am now doing everything from the top menu item, but I have ended up with my main MX18 not appearing on the menu after reboot!

Update: managed to get back in my normal MX18 by booting from the super grub2 disk - hope this is not the only way I can get back in :confused: !

fehlix, thanks for "But only one of those will be Grub-Menu you see. You need to edit the grub.cfg within the Linux which get's the grub-cfg loaded at boot (the controling Grub)."
Not using UEFI.

fehlix
Developer

Post by fehlix » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 am

GuiGuy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am
Thanks, guys.
I am now doing everything from the top menu item, but I have ended up with my main MX18 not appearing on the menu after reboot!

Update: managed to get back in my normal MX18 by booting from the super grub2 disk - hope this is not the only way I can get back in :confused: !
You better run update-grub within the Linux starting from the top menu to get a fresh and valid grub.cfg menu first.
Also already slightly expressed: Editing grub-menu directly is a bad idea :eek:. Any run of update-grub, will wipe all your adjustments.
A proper way of adding manually adjusted menu entries is to edit/create a new file /boot/grub/custom.cfg
and copy and adjust all menuntries from /boot/grub/grub.cfg into this new /boot/grub/custom.cfg file.
E.g How I do that: I just copy the whole /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/custom.cfg ,
and remove all except the "menuentries" and "submenues" within /boot/grub/custom.cfg.
After boot you see all your custom menuentries below the original menu.
When you are happy with your custum entries and when they work without any error, you can move "up" those custom entries above the generated once by doing this:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /etc/grub.d/41_custom /etc/grub.d/09_custom
and this:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Reboot and have menu-fun :happy:
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

GuiGuy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[SOLVED]Re: Grub2 Menu.

Post by GuiGuy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:51 am

Grub menu now lists 12 OSs , 9 of them work including MSWindows and my favourite MX18.
Don't care about the 3 bad ones, so marking the thread solved :happy: .

fehlix: your profound knowledge of linux has helped me again :number1: .

Return to “MX Help”