News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[SOLVED] Can't set left handed mouse

Help for Current Versions of MX
handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: [SOLVED. sort of...] Can't set left handed mouse

Post by handy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:48 pm

I re-program the firmware for the fingers in my left hand. ;)
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

shawnusa3
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by shawnusa3 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:28 pm

I had trouble setting left handed mouse also. At the top device you have to set that for the mouse receiver first and then choose the left button "mine says Compx 2.4G Receiver Mouse" the other one is similar but instead of mouse says consumer control and that will not change your mouse buttons. Hope this helps you out since I found it very frustrating also. I used the terminal commands to change the mouse buttons but they would change back after a reboot and this is the only way to do it permanently. :crossfingers:

Gordon Cooper
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Gordon Cooper » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Using MX 18.3 on a fairly old Asus MoBo. Mouse is a wired three button Microsoft Intelli-eye. It remains right-handed regardless of any settings in the Mouse & Touchpad
menu. I'm left handed but can use mouse in either hand, have programmed by own left fingers to use an RH mouse.

On the Dell 9010 computer also running MX18.3, a Genius mouse does change to LH with a single click on the appropriate button in the Mouse & Touchpad settings.

Seems to be no definite rule about RH or LH, it depends upon the hardware. Will dig out a couple more mice & see what happens with them. Will posr result later.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-18.2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 pm

It works with my A4Tech wireless mouse but not with a cheap Mikuso brand wired mouse.

It will be interesting to test MX 19 beta 1 which reportedly will include Xfce version 4.14 (MX-18.x has Xfce 4.12) to see if there's any change in the left-handed mouse behavior in its mouse & touchpad settings. Meanwhile I guess the moral of the story is that reversing mouse buttons works only with some mice and not with others or all mice. :(
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

mogplus8
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mogplus8 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:57 am

Hi @JayM,

They were 1) cordless mouse with no brand name on it, sort of a mini-mouse with a retractable cord (like earphones), presumably for use with a laptop. Provenance unknown. 2) Two MaxEm cordless mouses. Not really surprising that they both showed the same behaviour. But you never know. 3) a Logitech corded mouse of unknown vintage. Found it in my box of bits. 4) a Medion cordless mouse (has a keyboard too, talking to the same receiver, like my Logitech), and 5) my trusty old Logitech cordless.

;-) Ian

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:41 am

So it seems like no-name or off-brand mice have problems with switching buttons, but known brand name ones like A4Tech, Genius and Logitech work. It probably has something to do with the mice's internal electronics or firmware then. The cheap ones probably have just the minimal stuff inside to make them work right-handed, and the more expensive and better-made ones have whatever's needed to configure them using software to reverse the buttons. That explains why my cheap corded mouse doesn't switch the buttons while my good mouse does.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

truongtfg
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by truongtfg » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:54 am

mogplus8 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:54 pm
Just an addenda to my previous post, I tried the xinput trick posted by @truongtfg. It didn't reverse the mouse buttons, but it did stop double click from working. Another weird anomaly. Maybe it does need a special driver or something. Or maybe it's an XFCE thing. I don't use XFCE on any of my other distros.

:confused: Ian
I'm sorry, the command I gave was wrong, it should be this:

Code: Select all

xinput set-button-map [deviceID] 3 2 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I thought that button 3 is the middle button, but it turns out it is the right button.

mogplus8
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mogplus8 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am

@truongtfg it worked! Entering the xinput command as in your last post did actually reverse the mouse buttons on my el cheapo mouse.

Thanks!

;-) Ian

Return to “MX Help”