News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[SOLVED] Can't set left handed mouse

Help for Current Versions of MX
mogplus8
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

[SOLVED] Can't set left handed mouse

Post by mogplus8 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 am

I have to use my mouse left handed (physical problem) but I cannot set it to left handed in MX. It doesn't work at all. I found a file in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml called pointers.xml that looked like where the setting was saved, and ensured that RightHanded was set to false, but still the left button remained the primary button.
I have found other posts in this forum and elsewhere that mention the same problem, and there has usually been a response to the effect that the problem has been fixed. Well, i installed MX 18.3 July distro, and it is definitely still happening for me.
Does anyone have a solution for this? I would like to use MX but it would be far better for me with a left handed mouse.
Thanks,
Ian
Last edited by mogplus8 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Can't set left handed mouse

Post by manyroads » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:55 am

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: Obarun, Guix, antiX19

mogplus8
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mogplus8 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:31 am

Thanks for the quick response @manyroads, and the link. Yes, that was my first port of call. However when that didn't work I went off and Googled the issue. Found a couple of forum posts, but nothing that fixed my problem. I came across one post that mentioned options being saved in .config, so I had a look in there and found the file I mentioned. However, after I posted on this forum I found that the gui mouse option (as per the link you provided) did actually set RightHanded to true or false in that file. But the mouse buttons are still not reversed when left handed is selected.

;-) Ian

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:33 am

I just tried it with Settings/Mouse and keyboard (the GUI) and it works for me. Have you tried it with a different mouse?
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

mogplus8
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mogplus8 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 am

Errm, yes, I have now. And you are right @JayM, with a different mouse it works. Now I'm really confused! How can one mouse work and the other not?... By odd coincidence I currently have two mouses connected to my PC, my old one I thought was playing up (sometimes a button click didn't register, pointe moved around screen erratically, even with brand new batteries), so invested in a new one. My old one uses the same receiver as my keyboard, so it was still plugged in. Tried it, worked perfectly left handed. However... a third mouse I happened to have on my desk, a corded one this time, also won't reverse!

I've got a couple of other mouses lying around, I'll try them too, after dinner, and report back.

;-) Ian

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:00 am

mogplus8 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 am
Errm, yes, I have now. And you are right @JayM, with a different mouse it works. Now I'm really confused! How can one mouse work and the other not?
It's hard to say. It could have been designed and engineered to work properly only in Windows and requires its own proprietary driver and configuration software or it could simply be defective. It could even be a compatibility issue between Xfce 4.12 and that particular brand and model of mouse.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

truongtfg
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by truongtfg » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 pm

mogplus8 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 am
Errm, yes, I have now. And you are right @JayM, with a different mouse it works. Now I'm really confused! How can one mouse work and the other not?...
If the mouse setting GUI doesn't work, you can try xinput like this:

Code: Select all

xinput set-button-map [deviceID] 2 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Just replace the deviceID with the ID of your mouse (you can just run xinput without any argument to see the list of devices), then add the script to 'Application Start' in the 'Session and Startup' GUI menu

mogplus8
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mogplus8 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 pm

Thanks to all who replied. I thought I'd posted another reply a couple of days ago, but I guess I didn't press the "submit" button! Small update, I tried another three different mouses (cordless and corded), and none of them reversed either. The only one that does is my very old Logitech cordless mouse. None of the others worked left handed. They all do on other distros (I also use Mint, Ubuntu and Manjaro), but not MX. Go figure.

I guess I now have to mark this problem as solved. It seems it's some kind of weird hardware issue, but also it seems that MX is handling the mouse button inputs differently to at least three other common distros, two of which are also based on Debian. Curious, but there you go.

Again thanks to all who replied, and @JayM who nailed it. When I'm using MX I have to use my Logitech mouse.

;-) Ian

mogplus8
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: [SOLVED. sort of...] Can't set left handed mouse

Post by mogplus8 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:54 pm

Just an addenda to my previous post, I tried the xinput trick posted by @truongtfg. It didn't reverse the mouse buttons, but it did stop double click from working. Another weird anomaly. Maybe it does need a special driver or something. Or maybe it's an XFCE thing. I don't use XFCE on any of my other distros.

:confused: Ian

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: [SOLVED. sort of...] Can't set left handed mouse

Post by JayM » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 am

I'm curious, what are the brands and models of the mice that don't work?

Return to “MX Help”