News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

many versions available - which one to take

Help for Current Versions of MX
say_hello
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

many versions available - which one to take

Post by say_hello » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 am

hello dear all -

new to mx-linux - i have used OpenSuse for more than 10 years - Manjaro for more than 1 year and now i want to test mx.

it is a bit confusing to find the correct installation-version of mx.

if we take this site: http://mxrepo.com/

we have lots of information - #
Welcome to the MX Repository and Mepis Community Repository at teharris.net.

MEPIS is a Gnu/Linux distribution based on Debian stable with KDE. This made it a very solid Operating System and Warren Woodford's skillful implementation made it easy to install and use.

However, working from a stable base sometimes means having older versions of some programs and not having some newer programs at all. That's where the Mepis Community stepped up. The Community Packaging Team backported many newer packages that Mepis users wanted. This Community Repository was the result of those efforts.

MEPIS is no longer being developed - The MEPIS 12 beta2 iso was the last release - but it is still being used, so these repositories are still being updated.

MX was born from the MEPIS and AntiX communities once it was clear no more MEPIS releases were coming. It is also based on debian stable but uses XFCE instead of KDE. It is a middle weight distribution that runs well on older computers and simply flies on newer ones. It has many custom utilities including tools for easy remastering and tools that make it easy to run MX from a flash drive with persistent home and/or root file systems for those who don't want to install to a hard drive.
and so forth - and there are listed many many downloads here on this page.

I took the dl from here - and downloaded this version

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/

guess so - that this is correct and i am able to work with this version.

i want to test it - as a live-version on a notebook

many thanks for bringing MX linux to the public

keep up the great job

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: many versions available - which one to take

Post by jj1j1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:03 am

That site doesn't even have the version I'm using which is MX-18.3_x64 Continuum-May 26 2019. I got my version of MX from here; https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx, and it's ran very well so far. Older versions of some software are present in MX repositories no doubt due to compatibility issues.
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by JayM » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:59 am

It doesn't really matter. MX-17, 18.1, 18.2, whatever. They all get updated to the same version by the MX Updater. It's just that the newer the version you begin with, the fewer updates there will be the first time. That and some minor things like wallpapers if you start with 17.

For any other MX newbie reading this. go to mxlinux.org, click the "Download MX Linux" link on the front page, click on the red "Mirrors" link and choose a mirror near you, then choose either the 32-bit or 64-bit version depending on what your computer is. If you don't know, a web search should tell you, or you can ask in this forum.

@say_hello, welcome to the forum. That version you got from Sourceforge should be just fine. It looks like it's the current latest version.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

mxer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mxer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:54 am

Always best to start with the latest stable version - not the release candidates (rc), unless you are prepared for possibly having to sort something out. ;)
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:55 am

MX 18.3 is the latest iso release, from May 2019.

Best to get that since it incorporates all the updates, changes and bugfixes from MX17 to MX 18.2
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

say_hello
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by say_hello » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:59 pm

hello dear all

many thanks for the wellcome on this forum.

i am glad to be here.

took the "Download of MX Linux" link on SourceForge and i am happy with all i got.

All looks pretty impressive and i give it a Go - on my Notebook.

great job - keep up the great project: it rocks!!

greetings say hello :happy:

Return to “MX Help”