News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Laptop sometimes fails to boot up

Help for Current Versions of MX
Mantas
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Laptop sometimes fails to boot up

Post by Mantas » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:05 am

Hello,

My laptop tends to freeze up after the 2nd (loading) splash right before going into login screen. It always get's stuck on: [ 7.365346] ata1.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40) in a plain black screen. When the laptop is plugged in, it gets stuck more consistently.

The only other thread I found that mentions this line is this: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=50032&p=499945

Changing my kernel to 4.9 did not change anything at all. And yes, I did select 4.9 on boot.

I had the same error for years with any distro running an xfce desktop, but it never caused any issues, never got frozen on it or anything like that.

Cheers.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Samsung-LAPTOP Kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.3_x64 Continuum May 26  2019 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: SAMSUNG product: 300E4A/300E5A/300E7A/3430EA/3530EA v: 0.1 
           serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: SAMSUNG model: 300E4A/300E5A/300E7A/3430EA/3530EA v: FAB1 serial: <filter> 
           UEFI: Phoenix v: 03QA date: 12/14/2011 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 29.6 Wh condition: 47.7/48.8 Wh (98%) model: SAMSUNG Electronics 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-2430M bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
           arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19157 
           Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798 3: 798 4: 798 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics 
           vendor: Samsung Co driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio vendor: Samsung Co 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-5-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 130 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: efa0 
           bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Samsung Co 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 2000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 7.85 GiB (7.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: A-Data model: SP580 size: 111.79 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 107.29 GiB used: 7.85 GiB (7.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
           1: deb http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch stretch main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.lt.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.lt.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb http://mirror.vpsnet.com/workspace/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 9m Memory: 3.77 GiB used: 802.9 MiB (20.8%) Init: SysVinit 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.33 

Huckleberry
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Laptop sometimes fails to boot up

Post by Huckleberry » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Mantas,

Although this may not be exactly the same thing, a summary of what I've read when searched - since it doesn't seem to be distro-related- :

One suggestion says:

I saw this solution to issues similar to yours during an Internet search. If you make the following update to /etc/default/grub, then run sudo update-grub, see if it helps.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "libata.force = noncq"

The other explains :

Looks like the kernel is trying to set some ATA parameters that are not supported by the drive. This shouldn't affect performance at all as you can see the negotiated link speed is 3.0Gbps (SATA-II) which since it's not trying to negotiate first at 6.0Gbps is most likely a limitation of your SATA controller and not a problem with the drive.

The drive seems to have some quirks that probably need to be added to the AHCI kernel module. Might also check to see if there are any firmware updates for the drive. You might also try a newer kernel if one is available for your distro.

EDIT: These messages look very similar to the messages that Samsung 840EVO users experienced a while back. A Firmware update of the drive seems to have fixed the problem.

And another one also: " Applied a firmware upgrade corrects the problem!"

Finally, this is interesting and looks simple:

You just need to add irqpoll to your grub line. So in /boot/grub/menu.lst I added irqpoll to the kernel line:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=48c5a348-eb39-4171-8531-671a49fdb75b ro quiet splash irqpoll

and it fixes the issue. Probably a work around, but since this resets every time you install a new kernel you’ll realize when it’s broken and when it’s fixed. Oh, and my system boots in 21 seconds now…is it geeky that I know that, and I tweaked the system to make it boot faster than the 27 seconds it was booting in? I guess we’ll never know! ;)

https://fak3r.com/2007/06/22/howto-fail ... de-solved/

And also you can try (adding irqpoll to the kernel line) directly in the grub.cfg file (Right click=>edit as root) -as the last thing to try - though a bit risky -. But absolutely forget / ignore this if you're not sure )

Please let us know, if one works.
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info
Even no need to select & copy. The output will get in the clipboard automatically, just paste.

MX 18.3 - 32bit

Huckleberry
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:15 am

As for firmware, only Windows driver is available on manufacturer's site: https://www.adata.com/us/download/379
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info
Even no need to select & copy. The output will get in the clipboard automatically, just paste.

MX 18.3 - 32bit

Mantas
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Mantas » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:45 am

First and third methods didn't work. The first broke my OS and when I tried the 3rd, nothing happened, it always booted as is.

I was just looking up the firmware as well, it's Windows only unfortunately.

Return to “MX Help”