News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

cpu fan control program

Help for Current Versions of MX
jonnken
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

cpu fan control program

Post by jonnken » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Is there a cpu fan controller program in MX Linux? My cpu fan sometimes operates too intermittent...and I'd like to adjust it for more consistent operation.
Regards, jonnken
MX-18.1_386 Continuum(32 bit)...Kernel: 4.19.0-1-686-pae...since Feb 2019
Dell Latitude D630.....Intel Core2 Duo T7700...BIOS A19(June 2013)...Memory: 4G Ram 55G SSD

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: cpu fan control program

Post by JayM » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Search the MX Stable repository in MX Package Installer for the word "fan". Normally CPU fan speed is controlled by the BIOS. I don't know what the ramifications of overriding that with a software fan controller might be: possible overheating and CPU damage?
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:33 pm

I used to use lm_sensors combined with fancontrol to control my fans. This was fun and cool. I was able to set fan speeds and temperature levels and even hysteresis. Eventually I gave up and just used the built-in BIOS fan control which has been working fine for years across two systems. I don't overclock, I've got a 95W CPU and I use a tower cooler with a quiet 120mm fan. My machine stays cool and nearly silent.

YMMVG but for me setting up the fan control took some work and on my last two systems the built-in fan control was just fine.

I used to spend a lot of time at silentPC.com to figure out neat ways to make my machine as quiet as possible. The main trick for me was to use larger, slower, quieter fans. I standardized on the Enermax PWM Series T.B. Silence 120mm Ultra Quiet Twister Bearing Cooling Case Fan. These last a long time. Every 5 years or so one of the fans would start making noise and I would replace it. Unfortunately, this fan isn't being made anymore so I will have to find something to replace it with. Maybe they were losing sales because the fans lasted so long.

I also use fanless video cards and Seasonic power supplies. Often I'll shop around and pounce on an item when it is on sale. I've got a MetroVac DataVac that is like canned air on steroids. Several times a year I will use it to blow all the dust out of my machine.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 pm

If you have third-generation Intel processors or newer, you can also try undervolting them with iuvolt. It does extend battery life and reduce thermal throttling on the two Intel laptops I've tested it on.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Gordon Cooper » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:56 pm

@ BitJam You could try and get a Punkah Wallah, they are fairly quiet.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-18.2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by JayM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 am

BitJam wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:33 pm

I've got a MetroVac DataVac that is like canned air on steroids. Several times a year I will use it to blow all the dust out of my machine.
Hmm, I can get something like that here in the Philippines for about the same price as a can of compressed air. It should be good for keyboard maintenance too.
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/elec ... 7&search=1
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:38 am

JayM wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 am
Hmm, I can get something like that here in the Philippines for about the same price as a can of compressed air. It should be good for keyboard maintenance too.
Oh yes. It's great for keyboards. Sometimes I will pop off one or two keys to have an easier exit for the debris it blows out. I'll still use canned air for more delicate things because the DataVac packs quite a wallop (it is very forceful). I have a friend with a cat and the DataVac removed a lot of cat hair from under her keyboard. I think she might have been having a problem due to all the hair.

I make sure I secure all fan blades before I use the DataVac, otherwise they will spin very very fast which might not be good for their longevity. This is the most tedious part of the operation. Some I tie with string and others I use a bamboo skewer to keep them from spinning. I'm not certain this is necessary but it's a good precaution.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the DataVac. Sometimes I will help friends with their computers. Even if it is only installing software, I like to clean them up before giving them back. I consider the tool to be a "professionalizer".
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

jonnken
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by jonnken » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 am

thanks all...elevated back of Laptop, about a half inch...for added ventilation.
Regards, jonnken
MX-18.1_386 Continuum(32 bit)...Kernel: 4.19.0-1-686-pae...since Feb 2019
Dell Latitude D630.....Intel Core2 Duo T7700...BIOS A19(June 2013)...Memory: 4G Ram 55G SSD

Return to “MX Help”