News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

How to Make Gmail Preferred Application

Help for Current Versions of MX
Frigo
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

How to Make Gmail Preferred Application

Post by Frigo » Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 pm

I've searched the 'Net and Forum (I hate saying this because someone will immediately find my answer) but I can't figure out how to make Gmail the default mailto: application. Anyone able to help?

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How to Make Gmail Preferred Application

Post by sunrat » Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Gmail is not an application.
If you want to make it default you will have to set up a mail client like Thunderbird or Claws with a Gmail account and make that your default.

Adrian
Developer

Post by Adrian » Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm

In Firefox you can do this: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/set- ... ht#firefox
There are instructions for other browsers too.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 pm

Adrian wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm
In Firefox you can do this: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/set- ... ht#firefox
There are instructions for other browsers too.
Nice, using Firefox as it's own Gmail webmail client. I use Thunderbird and generally avoid webmail, but I should have guessed that would be possible. You learn something every day!

Frigo
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Frigo » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 am

Thank you both. The Gmail FireFox option is already set. What I need is a system-wide Gmail preferred application and I can't use an external app. Specifically, what I'm trying to achieve is have SimpleScan open Gmail when sending a scan. This requires setting Gmail as the default Preferred Application.

TY

fehlix
Developer

Post by fehlix » Tue May 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Frigo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 am
Thank you both. The Gmail FireFox option is already set. What I need is a system-wide Gmail preferred application and I can't use an external app. Specifically, what I'm trying to achieve is have SimpleScan open Gmail when sending a scan. This requires setting Gmail as the default Preferred Application.
This question needs a bit more context:

How to Make Gmail Preferred Application?

First, as already stated Gmail is not an "desktop" application. So you cannot set Gmail as a preferred application within the desktop environment. Now what? How to answer the question?
Opening Gmail within a browser as a "web" application, might be the desire of the underlying question to achieve.
OTOH, "mailto" as part of Mime standard is used within a browser to open an associated mail-applications.
Within firefox (and also within other Chromium based browsers) you can assign mailto-protocol to be handled by firefox itself, instead of an external application like Thunderbird, claws-mail etc.)

So the first step is to set within Firefox -> Preferences -> Applications: mailto -> Action: "Use Gmail"
ff_pref_gmail.png
That was the first part.

Now the 2nd part:
We need to "tell" the Desktop to handle "mailto" using the browser, e.g. firefox.
Within MX Linux using Xfce, you assign the default "Mail handler" as the default "Mail Reader"
within Settings -> Preferred Applications.
You would change from the default pre selected "Thunderbird" to Firefox
in this way, that you select other and type:

Code: Select all

firefox "mailto:%s"
ff_pref_app.png
That's it.
To test that the "desktop" now does see "Firefox->Gmail" as you'r preferred mailto "application"
type within the terminal command line, something like.

xdg-open "mailto:myname@myemailadress.org"
Note: I haven't tested, whether this firefox-gmail combo allows to send attachments.
Which you could also test from the command line like:

xdg-open "mailto:myname@myemailadress.org?Subject=Hello&Body=here+the+PDFscan&Attach=$HOME/myscan.pdf"
HTH
:puppy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “MX Help”