News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[solved]Is it possible to create a live usb MX18.2 with persistence WITHOUT any linux (pre)installed on the hard drive?

Help for Current Versions of MX
FoxiMaxi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

[solved]Is it possible to create a live usb MX18.2 with persistence WITHOUT any linux (pre)installed on the hard drive?

Post by FoxiMaxi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:01 pm

for example, is it possible to do so
* from within Windows 10?
OR
* from a live usb of "MX-18.2_x64.iso"? (I just tried the app "MX-Live-USB-Maker" on it, but that didn't prove to be persistent... settings and installed apps were all lost after reboot)

important:
* i need MX Linux version _18.2_
* i do NOT have any Linux installed (on any of my PCs)
* i have a BIOS computer
* persistence is important (for saving user settings and some apps to install)
* on a 8 GB-partition (of a 64GB drive... but I am NOT considering a full-install on the usb drive, i need just this kind of persistence)
Last edited by FoxiMaxi on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BV206
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Is it possible to create a live usb MX18.2 with _persistence_ WITHOUT any linux (pre)installed on the hard drive?

Post by BV206 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Yes, it's possible. That's how I did it.
The computer must have two USB ports spaced far enough apart that you can plug two USB sticks in at the same time.
Boot the ISO from one USB stick then use Live USB Maker to install MX with persistence on the other USB stick.
No hard drive or other installed OS is required.
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook, AMD A4-3305M, Radeon HD 6480G, 4GB RAM, PNY 240GB SSD, MX-18.2_x64 Live USB

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Is it possible to create a live usb MX18.2 with _persistence_ WITHOUT any linux (pre)installed on the hard drive?

Post by figueroa » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Yes. Read the on-line manual and view the videos related to using live-usb-maker and persistence.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

pat-san
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by pat-san » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Simply do a regular install on the usb drive.

FoxiMaxi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by FoxiMaxi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm

"Yes, it's possible. That's how I did it.
The computer must have two USB ports spaced far enough apart that you can plug two USB sticks in at the same time.
Boot the ISO from one USB stick then use Live USB Maker to install MX with persistence on the other USB stick.
No hard drive or other installed OS is required."
I did just that. (Written above in my opening post within parentheses.)
The problem is that it was NOT persistent. (All saved docs and installed apps were lost on restart.)

seaken64
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seaken64 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm

You set up persistence when you boot with the newly created LiveUSB. Use the F5 key to set to the type of persistence you want. You will be asked to setup the persistence files, just watch the screen.

Seaken64
MX-18 on Thinkpad R61i Core2 Laptop. MX-18 on HP Core2 Desktop
MX-18-64/MX-18-32/antiX-17-32 Frugal on Gateway Core2 Laptop
antiX-17 on Compaq PIII 1000 Mhz Desktop, Multi-boot Slackware, Debian, MX, W2K
antiX-17/16 on Dell PIII 450 Mhz Laptop

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Designer here. It is just as seaken64 and BV206 said.

Step 1) Boot with whatever live-usb or live-dvd have you. Plug in a 2nd-usb stick. Run live-usb-maker (any version, GUI or cli) and select the clone option. It will create a full featured live-usb that is able to do persistence. This clone feature was designed for people in your situation. So you don't have to be running Linux already in order to easily get a full featured live-usb.

Step 2) On every live boot you can enable or disable persistence. The first time you enable it, you will be asked to select the size of the persistence files. These are created very quickly. If you boot legacy, the persist options will be in the "F5 Persist" menu. If you are booting UEFI then the options will show up on a text menu (if you use the default "Customize" boot entry). In either case you can save these settings so they are the default on every boot.

Notes
If you are using usb-3 then please select persist_static. This will store file system changes immediately in the rootfs file. The other option "persist_all" (dynamic) will save changes in RAM and then transfer them to disk (usb) on shutdown and copy them back to RAM on start up. You are free to switch between static and dynamic on every boot. The only reason not to use static is if your usb is slow and the direct writes make your system run slow.

It may be unusual to create the persistence files on the first live boot when persistence is requested but we've found this is the best way to do it. In computers it is often best to delay decisions until the moment they are needed. For example OSDisc uses our live-usb-maker program to make the MX and antiX live-usbs which they sell. Each user gets to decide how to configure their persistence. IIRC, providing OSDisc with a solid way to make top quality MX and antiX live-usbs that support persistence was one of the primary motivations for creating the live-usb-maker program. There are GUI versions and a command line version. The GUI versions call the command line version so they all do the same thing. Some people find the GUI versions easier to use. Some don't. A log of everything that happened is created in /var/log/live-usb-maker.log.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

FoxiMaxi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by FoxiMaxi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 pm

seaken64 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm
You set up persistence when you boot with the newly created LiveUSB. Use the F5 key to set to the type of persistence you want. You will be asked to setup the persistence files, just watch the screen.

Seaken64
The F5 key did the trick. :)
Thanks to BitJam for the helpful explanation of "persist_static" and "persist_all."
And thanks for the other answers!

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by skidoo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 pm

is it possible to do so
1a) download + install the rufus utility from https://rufus.ie
1b) download MX Linux iso
2) use rufus to create a bootable pendrive (click, click,click, use default rufus settings)
3) shutdown windows OS + liveboot the MX pendrive
4) During liveboot, request persistence & follow the walkthrough setup prompts

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:36 am

skidoo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 pm
is it possible to do so
1a) download + install the rufus utility from https://rufus.ie
1b) download MX Linux iso
2) use rufus to create a bootable pendrive (click, click,click, use default rufus settings)
3) shutdown windows OS + liveboot the MX pendrive
4) During liveboot, request persistence & follow the walkthrough setup prompts
We whole heartedly DO NOT recommend this. If you make a fat32 MX or antiX live-usb with Rufus on Windows (or anywhere else) then please save yourself and us a lot of grief by using the live-usb-maker program in clone mode after you boot to create a full featured live-usb that we do support. If you choose to disregard this advice then please do not judge the MX/antiX live-usb experience when it is used on a crippled and broken file system.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “MX Help”