News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Too many problems ...

Help for Current Versions of MX
crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Too many problems ...

Post by crazysquirrel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm

Have to reformat and reinstall. Just too many problems trying to get it to do what I need :frown: .

I need it to function as intended and it for some reason refused to comply.

Would someone send in the BORG and make it comply? LOL

That is a tomorrow afternoon job....

I need the basics that come with it and the following as a minimum:

1) Handbrake
2) DeVeDe
3) Multisystem THIS ONE (https://www.unixmen.com/create-multiboo ... ltisystem/)
4) H265 codec and all other normal codecs.
5) Opera Browser
6) Brasero (preferred) or K3B
7) TOR Browser Bundle

Optional but really want:

1) Colorize and change folder icons
2) Boot into different desktops from Startup (it only gives default and xfce but wife wants cinnamon - I can use almost any but prefer KDE)
3) Boot an ISO from Grub line (another posted how but it does not work - says I have to load something first and the file they said to modify does not exist)

I LOVE this OS but it has got to be able to do what I need flawlessly.

Do I need MX 18 to do this or should I stay with 17.1? If 18 it will take me about a day to download it depending on things.

I do not have time to fix it unless what I have now unless can be done in less time than it takes to reformat and reinstall.

PS I want Firefox update to be FORBIDDEN as it breaks typing on many web sites (types backwards on them). Will wait till they decide to fix it in 6 months or so.

Wife about bit my head off when I updated it and it messed up :mad: - that's when I tried MX. :happy:

I have 4TB of movies to edit, classify, etc and not much time. Been working on it for 3 months already. Not to mention a dozen more to rip and encode yet.

Update March 17, 2019:

Another problem discovered - you cannot access cell phone directories. If I download something on a cell I cannot access that download via tethering.
Yes you can use tethering to get online. NO you cannot access anything in the phone. MX 18.1
Last edited by crazysquirrel on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mx 17.1, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 4gb ram, 2TB hybrid Seagate + other storage drives.

I NEED MULTISYSTEM just like the one I can get for *buntu derivatives. NOT THE ISO ONE.

JayM
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Too many problems ...

Post by JayM » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:45 pm

crazysquirrel wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm
Have to reformat and reinstall. Just too many problems trying to get it to do what I need :frown: .

Would someone send in the BORG and make it comply? LOL

That is a tomorrow afternoon job....

I need the basics that come with it and the following as a minimum:

1) Handbrake
2) DeVeDe
3) Multisystem THIS ONE (https://www.unixmen.com/create-multiboo ... ltisystem/)
4) H265 codec and all other normal codecs.
5) Opera Browser
6) Brasero (preferred) or K3B
7) TOR Browser Bundle

Optional but really want:

1) Colorize and change folder icons
2) Boot into different desktops from Startup (it only gives default and xfce but wife wants cinnamon - I can use almost any but prefer KDE)
3) Boot an ISO from Grub line (another posted how but it does not work - says I have to load something first and the file they said to modify does not exist)

I LOVE this OS but it has got to be able to do what I need flawlessly.

Do I need MX 18 to do this or should I stay with 17.1? If 18 it will take me about a day to download it depending on things.

I do not have time to fix it unless what I have now unless can be done in less time than it takes to reformat and reinstall.

PS I want Firefox update to be FORBIDDEN as it breaks typing on many web sites (types backwards on them). Will wait till they decide to fix it in 6 months or so.

Wife about bit my head off when I updated it and it messed up :mad: - that's when I tried MX. :happy:

I have 4TB of movies to edit, classify, etc and not much time. Been working on it for 3 months already. Not to mention a dozen more to rip and encode yet.
Most of the apps you want are in the repository. Just install them using MX Tools/MX Package Installer. I see handbrake, devede, opera, brasero and tor browser launcher.

You don't need to reinstall MX-18.1. Your MX-17 will automatically upgrade to the latest version through its updates manager, if you run it when it says there are updates available.

You can change the color of your icons by selecting a different icon theme in Settings/Appearance in the main menu.

Multisystem is an Ubuntu utility that's not available for MX at this time. Later, you can ask for it to be added to the MX Test Repo in the appropriate forum. If it can be added it probably will be within a day or so. If not, people will try to help you to accomplish the same thing that multisystem does "the MX way". :smile:

You've already posted about different desktop environments in another thread and someone replied already. I think Stevo replied here also, about how to install Cinnamon. You might consider staying with Xfce and just letting your wife customize its appearance. For example in MX Tweak you can enable a compositor which will allow changing the transparency/opacity of the panel. You can change the system theme in Settings/Appearance. There are downloadable additional "start menu" icons that you can use instead of the default black and white one with the MX logo. There are a lot of different Conkys (the desktop clock and system info thing) to choose from, or just disable it entirely if you don't want it. The panel is easily moved from the side to the top or bottom of your screen, and the various panel apps, launchers and things can easily be rearranged, though since most monitor screens are wider than they are tall having the panel on one side gives you more room on screen for your videos, if you can get used to it being over on the left.

You really need to take the time to read the MX manual, the wiki and the other resources available for new users. I would suggest that if you have a lot of videos to edit and a deadline to get them finished, this may not be the best time to attempt to learn a new Linux distro. Unless you're able to take a few days off from the video work and devote them to learning your way around MX, you may want to consider going back to what you were using before, then coming back to MX after your work is done. You need to explore MX (and RTFM (read the fine manual)) which takes a bit of time. If you get in too much of a hurry to get your videos finished without taking time to learn and explore MX you're just going to frustrate yourself and have a bad experience. As they say here, "Hinay, hinay." (Slowly, slowly.) Spend less time posting in the forum and more time getting familiar with your MX, is my advice, although do feel free to ask questions if you can't find the answers yourself, either in the documentation or by searching the forum. We're glad to try to help.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Last edited by JayM on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
OS: MX-18.1 x64, Kernel: 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64, CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, GPU: AMD RS780 (Radeon HD 3200), Mobo: ASRock A780GM-LE, BIOS: AMI P1.50 (5/25/2010), HDs: WD 500GB+SG Barracuda 1TB, Memory: 2x4GB 800MHz DDR2

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am

MX ships with the h.265 codec and all the other ones too, except for some restricted or very old/rare ones. There is a codec installer to get the commercial DVD decryption one Handbrake needs.

Please read the manual.

JayM
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JayM » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 am

30 seconds in Google showed me how to prevent Firefox from updating, both from within Firefox itself and from the MX/Debian/antiX repositories. Although when I check Firefox's settings it appears that automatic updating is already disabled by default, probably to force updates to come from the repositories instead of from Mozilla for the sake of stability. To disable repository-based updates, open Synaptic package manager, search for Firefox, click on it to select it, click Package in the dropdown menus, and check the Lock Version checkbox.
OS: MX-18.1 x64, Kernel: 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64, CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, GPU: AMD RS780 (Radeon HD 3200), Mobo: ASRock A780GM-LE, BIOS: AMI P1.50 (5/25/2010), HDs: WD 500GB+SG Barracuda 1TB, Memory: 2x4GB 800MHz DDR2

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am

Thank you for your suggestion. You do not realize that I PAY $7/gb for data with a 10gb max a month. I have to watch every byte I use.

Searching google or much else usually does NOT return what I am looking for. Mostly certain sites google wants you to see on top.

For free wifi I have to go to a restaurant but theirs is slower than a snail and frequently stops working.

If I want anything close to reasonable I have to drive 40 miles to get wifi.
Mx 17.1, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 4gb ram, 2TB hybrid Seagate + other storage drives.

I NEED MULTISYSTEM just like the one I can get for *buntu derivatives. NOT THE ISO ONE.

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Stevo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am

Please read the manual.
I read the manual but for some reason I couldn't get mine to play or encode any with that codec.

I read the entire MX pdf manual start to finish too.

fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by fehlix » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm

crazysquirrel wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm
Suggest you open for every item from your wish list a separate thread.
Otherwise you might get confused and the one's who want to help you get also confused.
You might get simple answers, like just install from MX Package installer ...
You have already another thread for the Tail ISO booting, where I spotted an "typo", thanks to "Buck Fankers",
which is corrected now.
If you have a special package which is not installable from MX package Installer, you might
get advice to issue a Package request for this specify app.
Good Luck
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 pm

going to drive 40 miles to download MX 18 then come back and do a R/R.
Then see if that helps me any.

Wish me luck!

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Most of the players can play h.265 video out of the box, including the the default VLC. VLC can also transcode video to the h.265 format. Handbrake from our test repository is probably your best bet for using h.265 with that application.

VLC and most of the player versions in the test repo can also handle the AV1 codec, which is even newer than h.265 and fully libre, unlike the h.265 codec. Unfortunately, encoding to it is even slower that the already terribly slow h.265, though my Intel GPU supports hardware transcoding to h.265 in Handbrake with va-api.

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Seems not all VLC's can decode H265. he one on Mint does NOT.
Hence another reason to come here and get something that WORKS! :happy: :happy:

Return to “MX Help”