News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

choose desktop on boot?

Help for Current Versions of MX
skidoo
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: choose desktop on boot?

Post by skidoo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 pm

crazysquirrel, it sounds like each of your "must haves" is doable -- each of 'em not necessarily frictionless, but doable for anyone who is suitably motivated. Elsewhere I read someone advising "start a new topic for each of these things", and you have... but now many are ongoing at the same time. Step by step by step. Have you yet sorted the intended double (triple?) boot? If not, discussing howtocinnamon is moot, right?

If (let's say when) you do succeed at installing cinnamon desktop, understand that few readers here may be familiar with the further nuances required in setting up your hybrid operating system. Will MX Tools and the all the other as-seen-in-whiskermenu items show up in the cinnamon menu? Does cinnamon insist on using its own file manager application, and will that fm shine nicely compared to the tweaked-for-MX Thunar file manager? If you encounter cinnamon-specific speedbumps, just bear in mind it might take a while for a fellow cinnamon user to notice, and reply.

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: choose desktop on boot?

Post by crazysquirrel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:16 pm

I plan on just selecting an ISO at boot time for those times when I need to get things done.
Solves some of the problems but is a bit of a hassle.
Mx 17.1, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 4gb ram, 2TB hybrid Seagate + other storage drives.

I NEED MULTISYSTEM just like the one I can get for *buntu derivatives. NOT THE ISO ONE.

Return to “MX Help”