News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

choose desktop on boot?

Help for Current Versions of MX
crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

choose desktop on boot?

Post by crazysquirrel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Any way to choose a particular desktop on boot?

Say I want xfce for file work because it is fast but want cinnamon for the wife because she like the colors and such.

I seem to think I saw some version of linux in the past that would let you choose that option on the Grub screen.

Same OS but it loads a different desktop depending on the choice.
Mx 17.1, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 4gb ram, 2TB hybrid Seagate + other storage drives.

I NEED MULTISYSTEM just like the one I can get for *buntu derivatives. NOT THE ISO ONE.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: choose desktop on boot?

Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm

It's on the login screen up in the right corner.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 pm

ok thanks. Will look at that when I get done ripping a few dvd's yet...
Mx 17.1, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 4gb ram, 2TB hybrid Seagate + other storage drives.

I NEED MULTISYSTEM just like the one I can get for *buntu derivatives. NOT THE ISO ONE.

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Only have 2 choices.

Default or XFCE

I think both are the same thing

How to add extra desktops then?

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 pm

crazysquirrel wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 pm
Only have 2 choices.
Default or XFCE
I think both are the same thing
How to add extra desktops then?
This will sound snarky, but aren't you willing to do some of the most basic documentation reading on your own. MX has pretty good documentation.

What is your usual OS? When did you install MX 17.1? How does your wife know she likes Cinnamon if it isn't installed?
MX 17 automatically becomes MX 18 through normal updates. If you want different desktops, you have to install them. See MX Package Installer. If you want to lock down your version of Firefox (it will become a security risk) use aptitude; more reading required on your part.

From your list of demands, it sounds like you really want a different distribution.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 pm

The MX Package Installer has a choice of desktops under "Desktop Environments", but not Cinnamon at the moment. For that, you can just "sudo apt-get install cinnamon", or use the MXPI or Synaptic to do the same.

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm

This will sound snarky, but aren't you willing to do some of the most basic documentation reading on your own. MX has pretty good documentation.
I read the ENTIRE MX Help PDF.

What is your usual OS? When did you install MX 17.1? How does your wife know she likes Cinnamon if it isn't installed?

We tried it with other distro's and that is the one she likes. Either I get that for her or I am out in the doghouse. Or she will demand WINDOWS.

MX 17 automatically becomes MX 18 through normal updates. If you want different desktops, you have to install them. See MX Package Installer. If you want to lock down your version of Firefox (it will become a security risk) use aptitude; more reading required on your part.

From your list of demands, it sounds like you really want a different distribution.
[/quote]

Demands are must haves. That is what we use the computer FOR.

Every user has 'demands' including yourself or you would not use MX.

I love Mx. Fast, smooth, somewhat stable (unless you try to get it to do something you want).

I may be stuck triple booting,

Mx for file transfer work. Mint or something else for file work. Win XP for those programs my wife wants to use that won't work on anything else.

MX Is a Linux. The whole goal for all linux is to be fully customizable, right?

About the PPA - I need that one in particular or one that works just like it. I cannot throw away a 32gb flash drive just to put ONE distro on it and nothing else. Nor can I carry around a pocket full of them at no less than $5 a piece.

Bluesguy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Bluesguy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Every Linux flavor/Desktop environment IS customizable according to the customization options available within the specific DE you're using. You're WRONG when you seem to think
that The whole goal for all linux is to be fully customizable, right?
... let me repeat ... Each Linux flavor/DE comes with its own specific customization uptions. Users are free to choose from this diversity ...
A lot of stuff you're looking for in all your "demanding" posts (here and elsewhere on this Forum) that you expect to find ... PPAs, Multisystem (only for Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based Distros) ... a color-my-Folders app (only available for some non-XFCE desktops) ... you won't find in MX, generally speaking. If, as you say, you had read the manual from cover to cover, the PPa-thing should be quite obvious ... a no-no, no-brainer ... geez.
As far as the apps you wish to install for video production/transcoding/DVD storage, etc., they are available for installation and function quite well in MX and practically ALL other current Linux distros.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:24 pm

crazysquirrel wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm
[...] The whole goal for all linux is to be fully customizable, right?
Here's a fine toolset/distro that allows you to build your linux desktop exactly as you wish it to be... no compromises required. :bagoverhead:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/

Edit: This is another highly customizable, do-it-yourself distro...https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/

btw. I am an unpaided distro spokesperson. :lipsrsealed: I receive no remuneration from my recommendations. :eek:
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
MX-18 4.20.12-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64
Dell Latitude E5470
Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 24GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130

noClue
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by noClue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:42 pm

@ crazysquirrel:

I don't know any way on how to "choose desktop on boot", BUT if you have multiple WM/DE installed, you get a selection on Log-in screen.
You simply choose which WM/DE you wanna use, enter the password, press 'Enter' and you`re logged-in in a desktop of your choice.
If you have auto-login enabled, you'll obviusly first log-out to be able to change the WM/DE. As easy as that.

Also, you can easily setup VBox VM and place the XP inside and that way you could use Windows programs in Linux seamlessly.

P.S.
There is no PPA for Debian (MX is based on Debian Stretch).
If you want PPA's, then you need some Ubuntu based distribution.
And by the way, if you install Cinnamon yourself, it'll not look as Mint.
You would still need some work (Icons, Themes) to make it presentable 1st.
Just compare XFCE in Mint, MX and Debian and you'll understand what I mean.

Return to “MX Help”