News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX tools are gone from my menu(the right side of it)

Help for Current Versions of MX
krauser
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MX tools are gone from my menu(the right side of it)

Post by krauser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Hey everyone, here's the issue
https://imgur.com/jJdKKVs

As you can see from this picture, the entry on the right for MX tools is gone. I have no idea why. I checked the mx tools -> menu editor and it shows the entry. Using menulibre, also shows the entry and it's switched off on "hide from menus"

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX tools are gone from my menu(the right side of it)

Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm

ok couple things to check.

1. did you check "hide invidual items from menu" in mx-tools applications?

2. is ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/mx-tools.menu present?

3. is /usr/share/desktop-directories/mx-tools.directory present?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dreamer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:39 pm

krauser wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:34 pm
Hey everyone, here's the issue
https://imgur.com/jJdKKVs

As you can see from this picture, the entry on the right for MX tools is gone. I have no idea why. I checked the mx tools -> menu editor and it shows the entry. Using menulibre, also shows the entry and it's switched off on "hide from menus"
I have had the same thing happen. Maybe you installed/uninstalled other desktop environments?

krauser
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by krauser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Hey @dolphin_oracle

1) Yes, I tried check and uncheck the option, nothing changes
2) Yes it exists
3) It also exists

@dreamer, maybe, but no idea what could've been if that is the case

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:42 pm

have you added or removed or done any menu editing with menulibre, and if so what?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Try installing alacarte... it offers a Reset System Configuration option on the bottom right. Use that option. It should fix things. The MXMenu, MenuLibre and Alacarte all handle menus differently. These tools easilt bork the menus. I have found alacarte to offer the only predictable fix.

You can see from my image that my Menu is borked... however, once I select the Reset, the visible menu is corrected (but that's all still just smoke and mirrors, really.). In fact XFCE menus are simply a mess (my humble opinion, even though I love and use xfce). :p
Screenshot_2019-03-13_11-07-31.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
MX-18 4.20.12-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64
Dell Latitude E5470
Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 24GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dreamer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:10 pm

krauser wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm
@dreamer, maybe, but no idea what could've been if that is the case
Installing/uninstalling KDE can break any other DE in my experience. Maybe you won't notice at first, because it's the little things. I do think KDE had something to do with the disappearance of MX Tools, because it only happened when I played with KDE.
manyroads wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:06 pm
Try installing alacarte... it offers a Reset System Configuration option on the bottom right. Use that option. It should fix things. The MXMenu, MenuLibre and Alacarte all handle menus differently. These tools easilt bork the menus. I have found alacarte to offer the only predictable fix.
MX Menu Editor and Menu Libre didn't make much sense to me, because I couldn't make the changes I wanted. Maybe I simply didn't understand the tools, but I gave it a fair shot. I was happy to find Alacarte, because it seems to be an easy and working solution (based on limited experience). I used Alacarte (Mozo) with MATE several years ago and never had problems with it.
manyroads wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:06 pm
You can see from my image that my Menu is borked... however, once I select the Reset, the visible menu is corrected (but that's all still just smoke and mirrors, really.). In fact XFCE menus are simply a mess (my humble opinion, even though I love and use xfce). :p
Are Xfce menus different from MATE menus? Isn't there a standard? It's true that I have experienced more problems with the Xfce menu (Whisker) than with MATE menus. That Menu Libre application does seem a little overkill. Maybe because it exposes all options and handles all DEs. It seems Alacarte identifies DE and only modifies that particular DE, but I could be wrong.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:03 am

@dreamer Please, do not confuse/combine/mix the menu editor(s) with the xfce menu function. They are not the same and do not operate consistently or cohesively. I use all three tools I mentioned earlier to do what I want. If I were to rate the menu GUIs in terms of usefulness I'd rate them:

1. MenuLibre
2. Alacarte
3. MX Menu

I have the most problems with the MX Menu tool in that it does not easily allow for the creation of categories (groups) or the deletion of them without causing breakage. Alacarte is the only tool with cleanup facilities (the reset thing). Menulibre does not seem to break things but does not come with a reset function. Personally, I do not like Maté (it has too few customizable eye-candy features or options). I, also feel, there's a shortage of useful themes, icons, plus the wallpaper function does not work to my satisfaction. Clearly all my objections are personal preference items.

If you really want to man-up and fix things like a "real programmer" (whatever that is, btw. I never like doing this) there are ways; as a matter of fact, most of the xfce developers recommend this approach (or similar) over using the GUIs I mentioned... https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

Anyway, the loss of Categories on the right-side of your menu is an XFCE4 4.12 'feature' you have to work around if you insist, like I do, on futzing with the menu.
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
MX-18 4.20.12-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64
Dell Latitude E5470
Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 24GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dreamer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your insights on this topic. Alacarte did what I wanted to do. Menu Libre has more functionality. MX Menu Editor I did not fully understand... but I remember it actually let me do something in the past that I wasn't able to do in another way.

Xfce and MATE use the same themes and icons in MX/Stretch. It's the same GTK versions (GTK2 and GTK 3.22). I don't like MATE after it became GTK3. MATE 1.8 (last fully GTK2 version) was the most polished MATE version ever I think. There is the Variety wallpaper changer if you want more wallpaper action.

Thanks for the link. I always wondered about Linux menus (I like to call them start menus to separate them from menu bar menus and right click context menus). Whisker menu is really nice. I don't know if it has its own quirks or works just like other (start)menus in Xfce. Anyway, all is good in my present installation, because I make only small changes to the menu and stay away from KDE. The loss of categories may be a Xfce 4.12 bug, but I don't think KDE is a good neighbor to other DEs.

Return to “MX Help”