Welcome!
Important information
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Can't Use it with a Live USB

Help for Current Versions of MX
User avatar
Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9386
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:42 am

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#21

Post by Adrian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Stevo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm
Eadwine Rose wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:56 pm
Just keep trying.. especially with suggestions from the devs. It would be a shame to give up after all.


Just to make sure: the md5sum of the downloaded iso file matched? The md5sum of the liveUSB also matched?

I have had liveUSBs boot just peachy on my system but there were little things off.. turned out the md5sum did not match. Remade the liveUSB and this time made sure to check.
But a torrent download should have made sure it was good, right?
The torrent checks md5 sum, what I recommend is when you boot MX is to select from F4 checkmd5 (but not sure if he even has that option on that laptop). Do you run UEFI? Even with UEFI menu I think there's a way to run with that option...

User avatar
Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#22

Post by Buck Fankers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

paulatea wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:36 pm
But on my laptop in which I want to install MXL, I get no graphical interface (background image) just text, and no option works, tried them all static, root, etc I really don't know what it can be. Maybe something on my BIOS?
I had similar experience, because of my custom/upgraded BIOS. I could only boot from mx17, but not from mx18 or recent antiX. I found 2 solutions that both works for me:

1 - I installed say mx18 or latest antiX on another computer where I had no problem booting. Then, after install, I created a snapshoot iso and that snapshot iso booted without a problem. (mx-snapshot rules!) ;-)

2 - (may not be applicable for you) my custom BIOS (replaced original bios on a chromebook) has an option that I can browse to the location of an efi (or whatever it is) boot file. Then boots fine, MX18 or latest antiX. Something about this particular efi/boot file not in the standard location per what I managed to read (and understand). Conclusion could be wrong.

p.s. explanation of point 2:

Guide that shows steps how to change chromebook to another linux with use of custom bios upgrade, mentions that this can happen, that certain linux versions will not boot if some efi file is placed into non-standard location and you have to manually locate them. I tried several linux distros, just to see which one would boot out of the box, and few didn't

User avatar
paulatea
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#23

Post by paulatea » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Adrian wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:53 pm
Stevo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm
Eadwine Rose wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:56 pm
Just keep trying.. especially with suggestions from the devs. It would be a shame to give up after all.


Just to make sure: the md5sum of the downloaded iso file matched? The md5sum of the liveUSB also matched?

I have had liveUSBs boot just peachy on my system but there were little things off.. turned out the md5sum did not match. Remade the liveUSB and this time made sure to check.
But a torrent download should have made sure it was good, right?
The torrent checks md5 sum, what I recommend is when you boot MX is to select from F4 checkmd5 (but not sure if he even has that option on that laptop). Do you run UEFI? Even with UEFI menu I think there's a way to run with that option...

I will check that out, thank you Adrian,

User avatar
paulatea
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#24

Post by paulatea » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Buck Fankers wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm
paulatea wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:36 pm
But on my laptop in which I want to install MXL, I get no graphical interface (background image) just text, and no option works, tried them all static, root, etc I really don't know what it can be. Maybe something on my BIOS?
I had similar experience, because of my custom/upgraded BIOS. I could only boot from mx17, but not from mx18 or recent antiX. I found 2 solutions that both works for me:

1 - I installed say mx18 or latest antiX on another computer where I had no problem booting. Then, after install, I created a snapshoot iso and that snapshot iso booted without a problem. (mx-snapshot rules!) ;-)

2 - (may not be applicable for you) my custom BIOS (replaced original bios on a chromebook) has an option that I can browse to the location of an efi (or whatever it is) boot file. Then boots fine, MX18 or latest antiX. Something about this particular efi/boot file not in the standard location per what I managed to read (and understand). Conclusion could be wrong.

p.s. explanation of point 2:

Guide that shows steps how to change chromebook to another linux with use of custom bios upgrade, mentions that this can happen, that certain linux versions will not boot if some efi file is placed into non-standard location and you have to manually locate them. I tried several linux distros, just to see which one would boot out of the box, and few didn't
That's an interesting idea Buck Fankers, the snapshoot implementation. As soon as I have a spare empty computer I will try that out, Or can I do that using a virtual box?

Something I am really liking about MX Linux is the support, forum and user base, it's great! :shakehands:

User avatar
Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#25

Post by Buck Fankers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:17 pm

paulatea wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 pm
That's an interesting idea Buck Fankers, the snapshoot implementation. As soon as I have a spare empty computer I will try that out, Or can I do that using a virtual box?
Could be, I don't know, didn't try it, not using virtual boxes any more, but interesting idea. Let us know, if you try it.

User avatar
paulatea
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#26

Post by paulatea » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Buck Fankers wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:17 pm
paulatea wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 pm
That's an interesting idea Buck Fankers, the snapshoot implementation. As soon as I have a spare empty computer I will try that out, Or can I do that using a virtual box?
Could be, I don't know, didn't try it, not using virtual boxes any more, but interesting idea. Let us know, if you try it.
Ok, I will let you know if I try it.

User avatar
Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9386
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:42 am

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#27

Post by Adrian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 pm

You can do snapshots in virtual box I did that, you just need enough memory and when you save the ISO it will be inside the virtual box so you need to use a shared folder to take it out from there.

User avatar
paulatea
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

Re: Can't Use it with a Live USB

#28

Post by paulatea » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 am

Adrian wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 pm
You can do snapshots in virtual box I did that, you just need enough memory and when you save the ISO it will be inside the virtual box so you need to use a shared folder to take it out from there.

Thank you Adrian for confirming this, I will try it this week :bouncing: :bouncing:

Post Reply

Return to “MX Help”