News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Slower boot times [solved]

Help for Current Versions of MX
Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Slower boot times

Post by Mauser » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Buck Fankers wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:26 am
Mauser wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 pm
... What log? Where? ...
I understand you have solved problem already, but if you would like in future to keep an eye on some of your logs, copy/paste code bellow into say mxlogs.py, then run it from wherever you saved it, with this command:

Code: Select all

python3 mxlogs.py
https://dpaste.de/N1ig

This small python script greps few logs looking for certain key words such as 'Failed',... it looks into 'dmesg', boot.log and xorg log, see example bellow:
I don't understand any of that. Thanks anyway.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

figueroa
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Slower boot times [solved]

Post by figueroa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 am

In a terminal, enter:

Code: Select all

cd /var/log
ls -ltr
This will sort your log files in date/time sequence. Any of them from the current boot might be relevant, but especially dmesg and the more recent lines towards the end of file boot. Lookat them with cat, more, or less (commands) for times where there seems to be a notable delay going from line to line. The boot file is a bit of eyestrain because of the embedded color codes. And, the times shown may not be meaningful in showing a delay.

This will be difficult to interpret for new and non-technical users, but that's part of learning.

Look at the man page for bootchart2. It's installed by default. Disclaimer -- the man page is easy to understand, but I have not used it myself. My installations of MX boot like greased lightning.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; Linux from 1993

Return to “MX Help”