News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX18 unable to set grub background theme in boot options - SOLVED

Help for Current Versions of MX
JLS727
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MX18 unable to set grub background theme in boot options - SOLVED

Post by JLS727 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 pm

I upgraded from MX-17.1 to MX-18 and everything works fine except I cannot set the new grub background theme. It does not show any themes to select just some folders like mx linux, elegant, etc. The themes show up fine and can be set for the splash screen no problem but not so with the grub background. I have downloaded and installed the grub themes with the package installer several times but it does not seem to install properly. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to fix this as I'd really like to try the new themes. I'm using a Dell Latitude 3160 and dual booting with Windows 10 pro. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by JLS727 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX18 unable to set grub background theme in boot options

Post by asqwerth » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Grub background is a different feature from grub theme.

The grub background with 'linen' in its name is a picture file either in /usr/share /backgrounds main folder or one of its subfolders, ... /mx/grub
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by tascoast » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:32 am

* I believe you would need to install Grub Customizer via Synaptic in MX-18 for this approach.

From http://mxlinuxguide.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_15.html (see page for image) towards bottom of page
Note the current MX-18 will include a different background image to that described below, but otherwise, you should be able to select a different Grub background image if you follow as described. Hope this helps.
Grub Customizer

This is the easy way to customize the Grub menu. The List configuration tab allows you to edit menu names or remove any unwanted entries.

Set your own Grub menu background image as shown below (I've used my desktop wallpaper in this case for simplicity):
(image)
Grub Customizer and Advanced options

You will need to open the Advanced options when done, and uncheck the default image labeled GRUB_BACKGROUND (marine-sunrise-grub.png).

Simply save and reboot to see your new Grub menu.

Note: you may need to reload the Appearance Settings Tab if your choices are not displayed.
Edit: The default MX-18 Grub background is set as below now and seems relatively simple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tascoast on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:40 am

tascoast wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:32 am
* I believe you would need to install Grub Customizer via Synaptic in MX-18 for this approach.

From http://mxlinuxguide.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_15.html (see page for image) towards bottom of page
Note the current MX-18 will include a different background image to that described below, but otherwise, you should be able to select a different Grub background image if you follow as described. Hope this helps.
Grub Customizer

This is the easy way to customize the Grub menu. The List configuration tab allows you to edit menu names or remove any unwanted entries.

Set your own Grub menu background image as shown below (I've used my desktop wallpaper in this case for simplicity):
(image)
Grub Customizer and Advanced options

You will need to open the Advanced options when done, and uncheck the default image labeled GRUB_BACKGROUND (marine-sunrise-grub.png).

Simply save and reboot to see your new Grub menu.

Note: you may need to reload the Appearance Settings Tab if your choices are not displayed.
Grub Customizer is not installed by default. The preferred method is to use MX Boot Options.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by tascoast » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:42 am

Beat me to the edit but yes, quite correct Rich.

It does get easier to customise things as time and versions progress. :thumbup:

I can't think what Grub Customizer can do in addition except perhaps change boot listing color and font face.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

JLS727
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JLS727 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:07 pm

In Boot Options I have been able to go to the background directory as you suggested and find the linen background and it installs however it will not run. I get an error on the screen for a few seconds that indicates a missing separator. It then goes to the grub menu with the old fashion bright blue background. The only thing I get to work is to to use grub customizer and under appearance select mx-linux and then the background.jpg file. I haven't tried every other file, but I've tried several and all give the same missing separator error. Not sure why or what else I can try. Thanks for all of your help.

fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by fehlix » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:22 pm

JLS727 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:07 pm
Not sure why or what else I can try.
Suggest this: Select the one which gave you an error and post the content of the file

Code: Select all

/etc/default/grub
here between code-tages.
[code] text content here[/code]
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

JLS727
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JLS727 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:12 pm

I finally did get it to work. In boot options, I should not have checked enabled themes in backgrounds. Also, in my quest to make it work I had checked some advanced settings in Grub Customizer that were a problem. Thanks for all of your help.

Richard

Re: MX18 unable to set grub background theme in boot options - SOLVED

Post by Richard » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Boot Options works as expected to change grub background.
No Grub Customizer installed.
A nice touch.
LT: MX18.2: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network
NB: MX18.1, antiX17.4: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-686, 150GB HDD

jeanpaulberes
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MX18 unable to set grub background theme in boot options - SOLVED

Post by jeanpaulberes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:52 pm

JLS727 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 pm
I upgraded from MX-17.1 to MX-18 and everything works fine except I cannot set the new grub background theme. It does not show any themes to select just some folders like mx linux, elegant, etc. The themes show up fine and can be set for the splash screen no problem but not so with the grub background. I have downloaded and installed the grub themes with the package installer several times but it does not seem to install properly. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to fix this as I'd really like to try the new themes. I'm using a Dell Latitude 3160 and dual booting with Windows 10 pro. Thanks for your help.
Easiest way is to place a picture (background) in the Directory /boot/grub
and then run sudo update-grub
That's all there has to be done ;-)
Kind regards,
JP
:needcoffee:

Return to “MX Help”