-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Schrodinger's VPN - How do I remove this VPN?

Help for Current Versions of MX
fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Schrodinger's VPN - How do I remove this VPN?

#21 Post by fehlix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm

dfp5 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:11 pm
Works perfectly, connected to a server right now. I guess the last thing to check is to see if it works on startup.
Was there no text output, when you run the fix-command? As the commnad will als setup startup at boot time :happy:
otherwise you would have seen some error messages.
BTW: Is the expressvpn-deb package provided for free download somewhere?
Could you ask the ExpressVPN support?
If yes, we could provide a installer (with remote-download) within MX Package Installer and could apply also the fix, within the installer itself ;)
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dfp5
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#22 Post by dfp5 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:32 pm

fehlix wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Was there no text output, when you run the fix-command? As the commnad will als setup startup at boot time :happy:
otherwise you would have seen some error messages.
If yes, we could provide a installer (with remote-download) within MX Package Installer and could apply also the fix, within the installer itself ;)
There was text output, it said something along the lines of starting the daemon. Sorry, I didn't think to save it.

I think you need an account to access the installation packages. Couldn't I just upload it somewhere? It won't let you connect to a server without an activation code, but you should still be able to install it.

dfp5
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#23 Post by dfp5 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:46 pm

fehlix wrote:
Here you go:

https://my.mixtape.moe/auerhb.tar

I was speaking to their support for like 2 hours yesterday. The guy I was with kept telling me "no testing had been done with MX", and didn't know how to address my issue.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#24 Post by fehlix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm

dfp5 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:46 pm
fehlix wrote:
Here you go:

https://my.mixtape.moe/auerhb.tar

I was speaking to their support for like 2 hours yesterday. The guy I was with kept telling me "no testing had been done with MX", and didn't know how to address my issue.
Is that download an offiacil download, we could use? Otherwise we could not use this within MX Package installer .

Let them know, if they want to get a fix of their installer they can contact us here :number1:
And we could even test the fixed installer, if we would got a test licence ( for ever :eek: )

dfp5
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#25 Post by dfp5 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:55 pm

fehlix wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm
Is that download an offiacil download, we could use? Otherwise we could not use this within MX Package installer .

Let them know, if they want to get a fix of there installer they can contact us here :number1:
And we could even test the fixed installer, we if would got a test licence ( for ever :eek: )
Yah, I archived it into a tar. Only expressvpn members have access to that download on the site, which is weird because other VPNs generally let anyone download the client, but charge for the license.

I'll let them know though. Again, thanks for the help.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#26 Post by fehlix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

dfp5 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:55 pm
fehlix wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Let them know, if they want to get a fix of there installer they can contact us here :number1:
And we could even test the fixed installer, we if would got a test licence ( for ever :eek: )
Yah, I archived it into a tar. Only expressvpn members have access to that download on the site, which is weird because other VPNs generally let anyone download the client, but charge for the license.

I'll let them know though. Again, thanks for the help.
Just looked in you tar, file. Don't they provide any verification check? E.g. like a gnupg-signature to verfiy what you download, is what they intended to provide to you? If not, you could also ask them, why not?
The whole security chain within a VPN is only as "secure" as it's weakest chain link.
If you cannot verify that's not manupulatated "during" download, the vpn-security is only a farce. You can tell them, with many greetings :turtle:

dfp5
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#27 Post by dfp5 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 pm

fehlix wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm
Just looked in you tar, file. Don't they provide any verification check? E.g. like a gnupg-signature to verfiy what you download, is what they intended to provide to you? If not, you could also ask them, why not?
The whole security chain within a VPN is only as "secure" as it's weakest chain link.
If you cannot verify that's not manupulatated "during" download, the vpn-security is only a farce. You can tell them, with many greetings :turtle:
I’m away from my pc atm (on phone) so I can’t check right now. All I know is that you choose from a list of Linux-compatible downloads (Ubuntu 64-bit provides the .deb, then Firefox downloads, then the guide outlines how to install on Linux through the terminal.

FWIW, security actually wasn’t my main priority when I got the subscription (few months prior). For certain reasons, I need to be able to be connected to a country outside Australia, and ExpressVPN was rated the most highly on sites like bestvpn. I’m still not the most tech savvy, but I’ll ask them about what you’re talking about.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#28 Post by towwire » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm

fehlix wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Under the link for the download deb is a link for the Signature file for ExpressVPN. expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb.asc

I also sent a PM with a link that could download the deb, just replace the deb name with the above signature name. Since they do not provide a link for everyone to download, I did not show it here. Who knows when the link would be broken because of a version change. So no way could it be set for MX to link to.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#29 Post by fehlix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:01 pm

towwire wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm
Under the link for the download deb is a link for the Signature file for ExpressVPN. expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb.asc
I also sent a PM with a link that could download the deb, just replace the deb name with the above signature name.
Thank's now a can at leas have a look into it after having fixed it nearly blindly :blindfold:

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#30 Post by fehlix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 pm

towwire wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm
I also sent a PM with a link that could download the deb, just replace the deb name with the above signature name.
Just downloaded both :

Code: Select all

expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb
expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb.asc
The verificytion check, would go this way:

gpgv --verbose --ignore-time-conflict expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb.asc expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb
gpgv: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1
gpgv: Signature made Wed Oct 31 07:28:23 2018 CET
gpgv:                using RSA key AFF2A1415F6A3A38
gpgv: Can't check signature: No public key
Which reads: OK, signature is correct and fits to the deb-file.
But the public-key is missing to verify the signaure is made by the issuer.

Now let's get the ExpressVPN public-key and do use my trusted keyring to import to:

gpg -v --no-default-keyring --keyring ~/.gnupg/trustedkeys.kbx --keyserver http://pgp.key-server.io --recv-keys AFF2A1415F6A3A38
gpg: data source: http://pgp.key-server.io:80
gpg: armor header: Version: SKS 1.1.6+
gpg: armor header: Comment: Hostname: pgp.key-server.io
gpg: pub  rsa4096/AFF2A1415F6A3A38 2016-01-22  ExpressVPN Release <release@expressvpn.com>
gpg: using pgp trust model
gpg: key AFF2A1415F6A3A38: public key "ExpressVPN Release <release@expressvpn.com>" imported
gpg: 133 keys processed (27 validity counts cleared)
gpg: public key of ultimately trusted key 214EE90AFD563964 not found
gpg: public key of ultimately trusted key 64FBC42D17376770 not found
gpg: public key of ultimately trusted key FFA07DADDB8341D4 not found
gpg: public key of ultimately trusted key 8E3AD1749AAE634F not found
gpg: public key of ultimately trusted key B2784FFE04F4DBED not found
gpg: public key of ultimately trusted key 9868B0A2E4EA8105 not found
gpg: marginals needed: 3  completes needed: 1  trust model: pgp
gpg: depth: 0  valid:   6  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 6u
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
Which imported fine in my "trusted pub-key ring ( ignoring other users signature, not using anyway).

Now let's do validation of the deb-file signature again, using my trusted pub-key ring:

gpgv  --keyring ~/.gnupg/trustedkeys.kbx  --verbose --ignore-time-conflict expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb.asc expressvpn_1.5.1_amd64.deb
gpgv: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1
gpgv: Signature made Mi 31 Okt 2018 07:28:23 CET
gpgv:                using RSA key AFF2A1415F6A3A38
gpgv: Good signature from "ExpressVPN Release <release@expressvpn.com>"
gpgv: binary signature, digest algorithm SHA1, key algorithm rsa4096
Success :number1:

Return to “MX Help”