-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

solving an annoyance with websites [SOLVED]

Help for Current Versions of MX
turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

solving an annoyance with websites [SOLVED]

#1 Post by turtlebay777 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:56 am

This is an annoyance rather than a problem.

Taking for example the MX Linux forum page, and many other websites too, on this PC alone, the icons appear as square boxes rather than the pictures the author has designed.

On this 'post a new topic' page, at the top, quick links, FAQ, Notifications and the icon right of my forum name are square boxes without the pictures. Likewise the whole line starting with 'bold text:xxxx.....', all eleven icon are also square boxes.

I use Ublock Origin and I may have accidentally done something with that, but does anyone have a clue how I can sort it out please?
Last edited by turtlebay777 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rootetsy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: solving an annoyance with websites

#2 Post by rootetsy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 pm

It sounds like you may have used the "Block Remote Fonts" setting in uBlock. Many icons in websites are actually in a "font" nowadays so that is the most likely problem. Try disabling that option.

thomasl
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by thomasl » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:17 pm

That's probably to do with your uBlock Origin options. I think the "boxes" you're seeing are in fact some Unicode characters and the font(s) that is/are needed to show those characters are not downloaded because your uBlock options block them. This can be toggled globally at the Settings page (see uBlock Origin options > Settings > Block remote fonts) or locally for the current site in the site options.
Screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dual-boot MX17.1/64 frugal root persistence + Windows 7 on Lenovo Edge72 i5-3470S/12GB and Tosh R950 i5-3340M/8GB
“In foreign countries they fear baldness. They are so rich in foreign countries, they can afford to fear all kinds of silly things.”

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by skidoo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Sometimes those rectangular placeholders for broken/missing glyphs are described as "tofu".
For me, FWIW (not much, probably) the presence of tofu is self-induced.
You might websearch
"webfont malware"
or "svg malware payload"
and learn to regard the presence of tofu as a blessing instead of an annoyance.

Why o why o why... emoji is pre-installed, bundled into browser, but the increasingly ubiquitious FontAwesome is not, forcing a re-re-re download (or at least ping to check) from Uncle Google during nearly every pageload.

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: solving an annoyance with websites [SOLVED]

#5 Post by turtlebay777 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 pm

"Block Remote Fonts" it was. Thanks both of you.

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by colin_b » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:30 pm

turtlebay777 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 pm
"Block Remote Fonts" it was. Thanks both of you.
fonts-font-awesome can be downloaded from the PM. I downloaded it and then restarted my browser with uBlock's "Block Remote Fonts" enabled. The MX forum displays correctly :happy:

colin_b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by colin_b » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm

skidoo wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:18 pm
You might websearch
"webfont malware"
or "svg malware payload"
and learn to regard the presence of tofu as a blessing instead of an annoyance.

Why o why o why... emoji is pre-installed, bundled into browser, but the increasingly ubiquitious FontAwesome is not, forcing a re-re-re download (or at least ping to check) from Uncle Google during nearly every pageload.
I did quick search for webfont malware, I didn't realise it could be so nasty, e.g. https://thehackernews.com/2017/02/Hoefl ... hrome.html.

Yikes. :eek:

Since fonts-font-awesome is in the main repo would it be possible to add this font to the main distro?

It strikes me its addition will prevent problems and add security when uBlock is employed.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by skidoo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:17 am

brilliant! Thank you, colin_b

Return to “MX Help”