-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Wifi connects but no Net (no IPs resolved) - DNS/DHCP issue?

Help for Current Versions of MX
Josh68
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Wifi connects but no Net (no IPs resolved) - DNS/DHCP issue?

#1 Post by Josh68 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Hello, and thanks for MX - I love it. (and apologies for not knowing how to do inline code with bbcode)

However, something I did recently messed up my wireless config, such that I can't get any sites to resolve without doing some combination of:
  • sudo ifconfig wlan0 down and sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
  • sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
  • NetworkManager -> Disable Wi-Fi / Enable Wi-Fi
I have not been able to figure out exactly what order of these actions works, and usually it takes a few tries to suddenly get the Internet to work.

FWIW, I'm using the wl driver for an Azurewave AW-CE123H (BCM4352 & BCM20702), but like I said, the issue isn't wireless starting and connecting, but resolving IPs.

Things I've done
  • Replaced /etc/resolvconf and /run/resolvconf with folders from the MX ISO, then re-run sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
  • Replaced /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf with file from MX ISO, letting it use gethostname()
In resolvconf, my DNS is reset to 192.168.1.1, which is my router's LAN IP.

EDIT:

Now I've changed base to use Google's DNSs, and I can get IPs to resolve only if I run sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf after booting. Never works right after booting.

Now resolvconf has both my router's IP and Google's, after updating. Wondering if I need to find where my router's is getting injected from and get rid of it.

I am a networking idiot, so need some help, if anyone can offer. My only other thought is to reinstall MX, but there must be an easier resolution.

TIA

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Wifi connects but no Net (no IPs resolved) - DNS/DHCP issue?

#2 Post by duane » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Re-install is so quick and easy. I would just do that.
It may just be a simple error you made somewhere that might be hard to track down.
Fix it by reinstall and move on.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Josh68
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by Josh68 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:03 am

Well, not the advice I was hoping for, but thanks.

Richard

#4 Post by Richard » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:16 pm

If you create a separate /DATA partition, choose to install /home on the root partition
and then keep all your working data on the /DATA partition (call yours whatever you wish).

You would only need to reinstall and choose "to put /home on the root partition", (I think it is the default)
then, once installed, add the /DATA partition to fstab with the Disk Manager tool to be up and running
with all your data at hand.

The /home partition only contains configuration data. You could make a backup of your /home/<user> folder onto /DATA, just in case you write some random data on your home, from time to time.

Keeps all of your data safe and separate from the OS.
MX171: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.18.0-2-amd64, 119GB SSD
MX171: EeePC 1005HA: Dual Core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-686, 150GB HDD
Thunar/Doublecmd, LibO613, Dropbox, Firefox, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

Josh68
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by Josh68 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Thanks, Richard

Yes, I've done reinstalls without losing personal data, since I do have a separate DATA partition. I just thought this might be a simpler fix. It seems I could fix the issue if `192.168.1.1` didn't sneak back into my dhcp configuration.

Return to “MX Help”