-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

root Thunar menu option

Help for Current Versions of MX
azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: root Thunar menu option

#11 Post by azrielle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:37 am

Thank you, one and all.
@fehlix
A non-root Thunar instance will not let me do ANYTHING to files on another partition or USB drive other than view them. Rapid transfer of large downloaded mp4 files from main HDD/SSD to an auxiliary archive HDD cannot be done (by me) in anything other than Win7--certainly not with MX with (to me) stoopid limitations of non-root Thunar. As was essentially confirmed by skidoo
Well, the intended workflow was detailed in post #1. I fully understand/agree the PITA azrielle described (non-root filemanager instances impose the need to request/elevate permissions for each granular, or batched, file/move/copy operation).
I do actually never - or can't recall when I - have used Thunar as root user.
As this is fairly dangerous for the systems if normal user have Thunar as root user open,
I do always disable access to Thunar as root for systems I do support (for normal user).
Excuse me but, coming from a Windows perspective, where user stupidity could ultimately end up costing another $150 for another official instance of the OS (which I didn't have), I understand the danger, such that it is. BUT, as MX is free to use and abuse (and reinstall if necessary), for a CASUAL USER such as myself, I fail to embrace the near constant hullabaloo that operating as root is BAD. I mean "So what if I F-up the home or system files? What's the worst that can happen FOR ME? That I have to spend an hour reinstalling (FOR FREE!) my favorite OS? Would that all my screw-ups had such exiguous consequences.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB 14.1" MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB 12.5" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by asqwerth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 am

azrielle, is it not easy enough to just right click on a root folder or the xfce desktop and select the "open as root" option in the context menu?

That will open a root thunar and you can keep it open for as long as you want.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by fehlix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:09 am

azrielle wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:37 am
Thank you, one and all.
@fehlix
A non-root Thunar instance will not let me do ANYTHING to files on another partition or USB drive other than view them.
Yes, you have already mentioned this. But the question is not clear to me why this happened.
And I'd rather fix the cause of the issue, as this might also an issue for other users.
Could you answer the question; How you mount those NTFS-partitions. E.g. either through thunar click-mount
or through disk-manger. In the later case it would be help full if you send the current fstab, as already mentioned in my last post.
Note: I have no issue if you use root-thunar, but I prefer to offer a more safe way to other users.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “MX Help”