-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

root Thunar menu option

Help for Current Versions of MX
azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

root Thunar menu option

#1 Post by azrielle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:41 am

Been using iterations of MX since January 2016. Along with continuation of non-updated Win7SP1 (didn't like wading through Micro$oft's upgrade to Win10 nagware, so I turned updates off 2 years ago).
My main gripe is the lack of a root version of Thunar that is easily accessible (for transferring or copying files from one partition--say an NTFS--to another, such as MX, or to/from a USB drive). The only way I've been able to figure out how to do it is to open a root terminal and start Thunar from there, then open up another root terminal, and open up another Thunar instance. But, both root terminals must be kept open, else Thunar is closed as well. It's a ROYAL PITA! And yes, I am (vaguely) aware of being able to do it from the Command Line, though I don't know exactly how.
WHY can't you put an "Open Root Thunar" whisker menu option somewhere, perhaps in MX-TOOLS?
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB 14.1" MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB 12.5" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: root Thunar menu option

#2 Post by asqwerth » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 am

azrielle wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:41 am
Been using iterations of MX since January 2016. Along with continuation of non-updated Win7SP1 (didn't like wading through Micro$oft's upgrade to Win10 nagware, so I turned updates off 2 years ago).
My main gripe is the lack of a root version of Thunar that is easily accessible (for transferring or copying files from one partition--say an NTFS--to another, such as MX, or to/from a USB drive). The only way I've been able to figure out how to do it is to open a root terminal and start Thunar from there, then open up another root terminal, and open up another Thunar instance. But, both root terminals must be kept open, else Thunar is closed as well. It's a ROYAL PITA! And yes, I am (vaguely) aware of being able to do it from the Command Line, though I don't know exactly how.
WHY can't you put an "Open Root Thunar" whisker menu option somewhere, perhaps in MX-TOOLS?
Right click on any directory or sub-directory in root folder. The context menu will include an option to "Open as Root".

The important thing is to point the cursor at your target folder.

[ADDED] I believe you can even right click on the desktop (in XFCE) and "Open as Root". A root Thunar will be opened in "/" itself.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KoO
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by KoO » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 am

azrielle
Have a look at this video it shows you how to make a custom command for root with Thunar.
Also be careful using root with any file explorer's don't go anywhere near your Home folder as root or it may just change permissions in your home folder to root only use root for system files and folders..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3T8TzwcYOg
Da Main Box .Antix 17.2 (4.18.7) i3 ,Windows8.1 , Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 , 16gb HyperX , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , GTX 970
Lappy .Lenovo T430 AntiX17.2 (4.18.7) i3 ,Windows8.1 , i5 +4000 , 8gb , Samsung EVO 860 500 GB , 1TB HGST

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by skidoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:50 am

a root version of Thunar that is easily accessible (for transferring or copying files from one partition...
Given the topic title, my "howto" would have been (still is):
As root, open the /usr/share/applications "thunar desktop file" in a text editor.
Edit the Exec= line to state Exec=gksu thunar and the Name= line to state Name=Thunar (as root) then SaveAs to a new filename, e.g. "thunarasroot.desktop"

When you refresh/update the desktop menu, the newly created item, labeled "Thunar (as root)" should now be visible along with the pre-existing normal thunar item.

manyroads
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by manyroads » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:49 am

Be aware gksu has been deprecated...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=137326
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=46519&p=462469&hi ... ed#p462469

You should use "pkexec" instead.
Pax vobiscum,
ManyRoads (Mark Rabideau)
http://many-roads.com
Manjaro (xfce) & MX Linux user
Primary platform: Dell Latitude E5470, 8GB, 1TB ssd

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am

manyroads wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:49 am
Be aware gksu has been deprecated...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=137326
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=46519&p=462469&hi ... ed#p462469

You should use "pkexec" instead.
be aware gksu is still in use on debian stretch, upon which mx is based.

however, pkexec will work in thunar's case. just don't expect pkexec to work on all gui apps.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by fehlix » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 pm

azrielle wrote:
My main gripe is the lack of a root version of Thunar that is easily accessible (for transferring or copying files from one partition--say an NTFS--to another, such as MX, or to/from a USB drive).
Not sure I understand the use-case you are describing.
Would you mind to explain, what is not working with copying files using Thunar as normal user to/from NTFS partitions?
NTFS does not provide such concept as linux permissions , it's all about mount options (or mount option permission mapping),
where the permissions the user "sees" are defined.
I do actually never - or can't recall when I - have used Thunar as root user.
As this is fairly dangerous for the systems if normal user have Thunar as root user open,
I do always disable access to Thunar as root for systems I do support (for normal user).
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by skidoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 pm

this is fairly dangerous for the systems if normal user have Thunar as root user open
Right, I agree.
Choosing to not pigeonhole azrielle into the "normal user" category, I strived to explain howto. In retrospect, and after having read fehlix comment, the howto seems like a disservice (coaching a user who doesn't know how to add a menu item, coaching howto runAs root)
I do always disable access to Thunar as root for systems I do support (for normal user).
Well, the intended workflow was detailed in post #1. I fully understand/agree the PITA azrielle described (non-root filemanager instances impose the need to request/elevate permissions for each granular, or batched, file/move/copy operation).

@manyroads
I am a staunch nosystemd hatter.
FYI, the forced deprecation of gksu is demonstrably part of a larger "conspiracy".
Ultimately (recently) when gksu was declared "deprecated" by the "debian gnome team" package maintainers, they cited "has a bug/security issues". What they didn't bother mentioning: a patch (a simple fix, addressing double-quotation mark parsing) was submitted to upstream (gnome) gksu maintainers waaaaaaaay back around 2013. Gnome ignored/refused the patch, debian similarly ignored the patch (and continued shipping a bugged, albeit known-patch-available version)... all the way through early 2018 when they chose to "drop the other shoe", bolstering their argument for forced transition to use of pkexec by citing the longstanding open (patch intentionally ignored) "security bug".

I'm not averse to using both/either pkexec or gksu. The "debian gnome team" (not a slur, it's their self-described name) is averse, has passionately and adamantly been averse, to allowing such a choice. Under the new (forthcoming Buster) status quo, all gksu-dependent packages have been purged from debian repositories. Predictably, any packages supporting alternative-to-pkexec mechanisms are the next chopping block target(s). Wave bye-bye to SLiM, and consolekit ~~ eventually, future Debian systems will have LightDM and Gnome desktop; future Debian users will all drink broccoli smoothies and hangout at TacoBell.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by sunrat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 am

azrielle wrote:
And yes, I am (vaguely) aware of being able to do it from the Command Line, though I don't know exactly how.

Code: Select all

sudo cp file1 file2 file3 /destination/directory/
Now you know! You can copy as many files as you like together as long as the last bit is the destination. Use Tab completion for the filenames to make it easier (and more foolproof). You can use wildcards too, say to copy all the files in a directory:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /source/directory/* /destination/directory/
To me this is at least as easy as opening two GUI file manager windows.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Post by fehlix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 am

skidoo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 pm
Well, the intended workflow was detailed in post #1. I fully understand/agree the PITA azrielle described (non-root filemanager instances impose the need to request/elevate permissions for each granular, or batched, file/move/copy operation).
@skidoo , this still does not explain, why a root- filemanager is needed to copy files between NTFS partitions.
Instead of promoting root-filemanager we shall provide a fix to setup proper permissions, if that a permission issues at all.

@azrielle, if you mount the NTFS partition within Thunar, e.g by click to mount, you should have no permission issue and not need to root-Thunar.
If you mount through disk-manager, we shall fix the disk-manger mount options.
In the later case, would you mind to show the fstab as disk-manger utilizes the /etc/fstab to mount partitions.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “MX Help”